Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 617 618 [619] 620 621 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3631982 times)

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #9270 on: December 25, 2009, 04:21:33 am »

High quality plate and chain weighed about 20 - 25kg (...) A fully armored knight in good plate and chain could run down an unarmoured man, jump onto his horse and swim across a river, swimming was difficult certainly, but entirely possible, as knights tended to be extremely fit due to training.

I call BS on that.  Animals that can swim, such as humans, have a density of close to 1.  Your proposed armored knight has a density of about 1.3, and would be fighting a river current with inferior paddle-surfaces of feet and hands (due to boots and gauntlets or gloves), and restricted joint mobility.

It may state on wikipedia that modern reenactments suggest knights could swim "in armor", but I believe that to be false or misleading.  There is obviously some level of armor with which a human can swim across a river, but I don't believe that 25 kg of full-body armor is within that level.

P.S.  For the record, I don't claim to be highly knowledgeable about this :)

Call BS on it all you want; there are written records of knights in full armour swimming across rivers, and one of my friends is a very serious LARPer, he has a full suit of plate and chain, complete with cotton and leather undergarments and a very nice shortsword and shield to go with it, the whole ensemble, weapons and all, weighs just over 27 kilos, and he can swim quite handily in it. Admittedly he can't swim for more than about ten minutes but he can swim.

Modern soldiers carry around upwards of 30 kilos of gear, and can swim around in it, in fact it's one of the things they train for. It's not easy to do, nor is it something you'd want to, and you're certainly neither fast nor graceful, but you can keep your head above the water and get from point A to point B, provided point B isn't too far away.

By the way, properly built armor doesn't restrict mobility at all; that would be extremely stupid.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9271 on: December 25, 2009, 04:25:08 am »

Really? I always assumed fencing was more for show than actual combat, seems like those flimsy swords would get knocked aside like they were nothing by a normal sword.

actually... Rapiers were developed as civilian weapons for dueling and personal defense, not for mass combat, and evolved into the lighter fencing foils used today because a man using a light sword of that nature would most likely end up fighting with other men wielding a similar weapon, and with lighter weapons like that, meant for stabbing, lightness and speed were the most important because you only needed to get past your opponents similarly weighted blade, once, to strike his unarmored torso... and likewise your opponent to you.

Basically, the medieval and Renaissance people knew how powerful a good crit from a piercing weapon was, and they designed a weapon which could attack quickly and have more chances to cause organ damage.

Good plate armor rendered most swords obeslete; in fact it stopped most weapons in general. There were, however, certain weaknesses. Sufficent blunt force trauma could break bones even through the plate, leading to maces, axes and halberds becoming popular, plate also had weak points such as under the armpits and in the back of the knees (these points were later protected) which a light stabby shortsword or rapier could get into and poke holes in the person wearing the armor underneath.

Rapiers were mostly 'show' weapons however, not really intended for open warfare. They were quite excellent in duels though and substantially better than being unarmed.

Sysice

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9272 on: December 25, 2009, 04:38:03 am »

Merry Dwarfmas, everyone.
I know I'm not disappointed the next version is not out.

Can we get a more precise description of the animal camps?
I managed to make a dog that bled bees.
Quote from: Threetoe
Imagine evil grass that looks like a mass of wriggling worms. Happy holidays!

Roxorius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9273 on: December 25, 2009, 05:16:26 am »

Modern soldiers carry around upwards of 30 kilos of gear, and can swim around in it, in fact it's one of the things they train for. It's not easy to do, nor is it something you'd want to, and you're certainly neither fast nor graceful, but you can keep your head above the water and get from point A to point B, provided point B isn't too far away.

By the way, properly built armor doesn't restrict mobility at all; that would be extremely stupid.
You've surreptitiously argued against your own point by admitting that it really increases the difficulty. Meanwhile you overextend yourself in saying that armour doesn't restrict mobility at all. In accounts such as those from Bannockburn, it is noted that armoured knights do have a distinct tendency to drown in rivers; and against the primary sources saying so, we have only the anecdotal evidence that your friend could swim in full armour at a time of his choosing in waters presumably currentless and of his choosing.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9274 on: December 25, 2009, 05:45:36 am »

You've surreptitiously argued against your own point by admitting that it really increases the difficulty. Meanwhile you overextend yourself in saying that armour doesn't restrict mobility at all. In accounts such as those from Bannockburn, it is noted that armoured knights do have a distinct tendency to drown in rivers; and against the primary sources saying so, we have only the anecdotal evidence that your friend could swim in full armour at a time of his choosing in waters presumably currentless and of his choosing.

Most people in medieval times couldn't swim at all, armor or no. I simply stated that it was possible to swim in plate armor, a point i have proven. If you wish to start arguing over semantics in a desperate attempt to dodge away from the argument, that's fine, but don't expect me to join you.

I have not noticed any noticable restriction in mobility in properly built plate and mail, tournament pieces most certainly do restrict movement, but combat pieces are specifically designed to not do so, as restricting one's movement in combat is a really, really bad idea. Certainly it's harder to move with plate than without, as regardless of how well it is made it does weigh more than not wearing plate, but there is no stiffness or restriction of movement that classical thought would have you believe.

Akigagak

• Bay Watcher
  • Omnipimping
    • View Profile
« Reply #9275 on: December 25, 2009, 06:04:51 am »

They used ideas stolen from Henry IVs armour when designing the joints for spacesuits.
But then, life was also easier when I was running around here pretending to be a man, so I guess I should just "man up" and get back to work.
This is mz poetrz, it is mz puyyle.

Roxorius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9276 on: December 25, 2009, 08:35:36 am »

Most people in medieval times couldn't swim at all, armor or no. I simply stated that it was possible to swim in plate armor, a point i have proven. If you wish to start arguing over semantics in a desperate attempt to dodge away from the argument, that's fine, but don't expect me to join you.

I just now joined the conversation and have no real stake in it to be "desperate" about. Not sure what you're ranting about there. ;D

The real point here is that you said it was hard for a fit man, such as your friend, to swim in armour under ideal circumstances, so that you reckoned he might last only ten minutes in those circumstances. I was a fairly avid swimmer and used to swim two hours non-stop.

Let's explore those ideal circumstances related by your friend, btw. He probably did not actually endanger himself by swimming
  • in a place with a current, such as most rivers and tidal waters
  • in a place with seaweed or other entanglements
  • when whe was feeling tired already
  • when he was panicked from men trying to kill him or in fear of actual drowning

All these conditions constitute how a knight might normally have experienced having to swim in armour. Some of them I as an experienced swimmer would not hazard naked. You need a shitload of strength to swim unencumbered through seaweed and can drown in a river current easily. If you add weight and extra surfaces for seaweed to ensnare upon or currents to catch, it raises the peril that much more. Most natural bodies of water have these conditions in spades--still ponds nearly always have seaweed throughout, rivers have currents and eddies, and oceans have kelp and tidal currents.

Despite this, swimming was, by the way, not an uncommon activity in the Middle Ages, particularly among the nobility that comprises most of the armour-wearers. Einhard writes in his biography of Charlemagne, the Vita Caroli, that Charlemagne loved to swim and no one in his realm could better him at it; but Charlemagne lived inland for all his life not on campaign. Yet his swimming is grounds for a boast compared to others around him? Charlemagne, btw, stands astride the Middle Ages proper and an even darker era of ignorance and superstition known as the Migration Age.  And he swam brilliantly. 

I have not noticed any noticable restriction in mobility in properly built plate and mail, tournament pieces most certainly do restrict movement, but combat pieces are specifically designed to not do so, as restricting one's movement in combat is a really, really bad idea. Certainly it's harder to move with plate than without, as regardless of how well it is made it does weigh more than not wearing plate, but there is no stiffness or restriction of movement that classical thought would have you believe.

Mobility is impaired if you follow by saying "It's harder to move." Mobility is the ease of movement. And in a situation involving swimming in anything more than a swimming pool or carefully designated and maintained area of a natural shoreline, you do not want to be swimming with, say, rondels snagging on every passing strand of seaweed. What made swimming much more dificult for your friend in ideal conditions makes normal natural conditions deadly.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9277 on: December 25, 2009, 08:38:41 am »

The real point here is that you said it was hard for a fit man, such as your friend, to swim in armour under ideal circumstances, so that you reckoned he might last only ten minutes in those circumstances. I was a fairly avid swimmer and used to swim two hours non-stop.

I'm sure if he needed to he could swim longer, it's just that after about 10 - 15 minutes he decided he'd proved his point and had enough of swimming in armour, since he wasn't looking forward to cleaning it all up afterwards.

I never, by the way, said that doing so was a good idea, or that it happened frequently, i merely stated that it was possible.

jpwrunyan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9278 on: December 25, 2009, 09:28:47 am »

if I were a knight I bet I could swim.  I could probably fly too.  Is there anything a knight can't do? 

Merry Christmas from japan.  (It sucks to be here.)

Roxorius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9279 on: December 25, 2009, 09:34:45 am »

if I were a knight I bet I could swim.  I could probably fly too.  Is there anything a knight can't do?
He can't beat a samurai, amirite?

What's the deal with being in Japan that it sucks, btw?

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #9280 on: December 25, 2009, 09:37:14 am »

What about the padding/clothing underneath?
I'm sure medieval knights did not have acces to light cotton or even synthetic fibres. Woolen garments soak up alot of water and get real heavy and restrictive when swimming. Combined with the weight and restrictiveness of a full armour and the likelyhood of the swimmer being pretty tired from the activity that required him to wear the armour before being forced to take a swim would make it hard.
(Wow that was a long centence!)

Dwarves cannot swim imo even naked, their fur will drag them, down and they are too drunk anyhow.
Though.. if soaked in water, the caked dirt might come off which will make them lighter and more nimble. ;)
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9281 on: December 25, 2009, 09:38:30 am »

Well if he is in a heavily populated area then the Crowds are the stuff of nightmares! Especially for public transit.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #9282 on: December 25, 2009, 10:07:44 am »

Sometimes I wonder what would happen if Japan and China switched populations. Can you imagine a billion-point-something people crammed onto three (I think) islands?
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9283 on: December 25, 2009, 10:11:16 am »

Sometimes I wonder what would happen if Japan and China switched populations. Can you imagine a billion-point-something people crammed onto three (I think) islands?

That so would not work. Japan is already pushing it from a population density standpoint.

What about the padding/clothing underneath?
I'm sure medieval knights did not have acces to light cotton or even synthetic fibres. Woolen garments soak up alot of water and get real heavy and restrictive when swimming. Combined with the weight and restrictiveness of a full armour and the likelyhood of the swimmer being pretty tired from the activity that required him to wear the armour before being forced to take a swim would make it hard.
(Wow that was a long centence!)

Dwarves cannot swim imo even naked, their fur will drag them, down and they are too drunk anyhow.
Though.. if soaked in water, the caked dirt might come off which will make them lighter and more nimble. ;)

I never, by the way, said that doing so was a good idea, or that it happened frequently, i merely stated that it was possible.

Another

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9284 on: December 25, 2009, 10:15:09 am »

All these "swimming knights" reminded me of http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_the_Ice. In short some crusader class knights have drown after some fighting because the ice was too thin to support a crowd of running steel-covered people even though is was thick enough for light cavalry.

Will we have breaking down through thin ice depending on total weight at some point in the future? [of the fortress]
Pages: 1 ... 617 618 [619] 620 621 ... 1065