Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 525 526 [527] 528 529 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3636133 times)

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #7890 on: December 04, 2009, 12:08:10 am »

Inhaling ethanol is actually very good way for it to get absorbed into your system. Inhalation is generally more efficient than digestive absorption for that kind of thing, I guess (including stuff like mercury and probably most toxins).

Story:
A friend of mine's dad left a container of ethanol in the garage, opened, for a while.

My friend walked in, the place smelled funny, did some stuff quickly, walked out, and was pretty drunk after.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7891 on: December 04, 2009, 12:09:28 am »

-Herbicides
-Rot Based (Scavangers are immune)
-Alcohols
-Acids
-Soul
-Physical (Metal Razors I guess)
-Metalics

Hm, setting alcohol as a poison that dwarves are immune to is actually a very good idea. It would make it so elves would very obviously fail to hold their liquor.  Humans and goblins would get resistance.

Yet the elves make the best booze in the game....

Nivim

• Bay Watcher
  • Has the asylum forgotten? Are they still the same?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7892 on: December 04, 2009, 12:29:57 am »

Wait, which drink? The elves never brought me any alcohol.
Imagine a cool peice of sky-blue and milk-white marble about 3cm by 2cm and by 0.5cm, containing a tiny 2mm malacolite crystal. Now imagine the miles of metamorphic rock it's embedded in that no pick or chisel will ever touch. Then, imagine that those miles will melt back into their mantle long before any telescope even refracts an image of their planet. The watchers will be so excited to have that image too.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7893 on: December 04, 2009, 12:33:36 am »

He's probably referring to sunshine, made from sun berries.

It's the most valuable alcohol in the game, but it comes from an above-ground plant.

... Then again, I've never seen the elves trade alcohol, so I'm not convinced they produce it.

EDIT: For what it's worth, they don't have "brewer" in their list of allowed professions. Humans and dwarves are the only entities who do.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7894 on: December 04, 2009, 12:45:09 am »

They trade alcohol to me all the time, when they aren't loaded to the butt with cloth :P

Wnere do I find the info of allowed professions? I can't seem to find it.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7895 on: December 04, 2009, 12:48:42 am »

In \raw\objects, in the entity files. ENTITY_DEFAULT.txt, I think. Mods might screw with this, though.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7896 on: December 04, 2009, 12:53:26 am »

EDIT: For what it's worth, they don't have "brewer" in their list of allowed professions. Humans and dwarves are the only entities who do.

This is weird.  While my raws say the same thing, I'm absolutely certain I've seen Elf Brewers running around in normal unconquered forest retreats.  I don't get it.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7897 on: December 04, 2009, 12:56:36 am »

This is weird.  While my raws say the same thing, I'm absolutely certain I've seen Elf Brewers running around in normal unconquered forest retreats.  I don't get it.

Same here. I think that is suppoused to be if you are playing as that race or something.

Saber Cherry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7898 on: December 04, 2009, 01:18:33 am »

Magma-powered ethanol vaporizers might not be the safest things around.

On the other hand, dwarves like booze.  They also like waterfalls.  So, what about a recirculating, self-powered boozefalls?  Place it over a key hallway, and everyone stays permadrunk without quitting to take drink breaks.  Literally wandering around in an alcohol fog.  If only there was some way to designate a dumping zone for specified barrels of arbitrary fluid...

Time Kitten

• Bay Watcher
  • Evil Spirit
    • View Profile
« Reply #7899 on: December 04, 2009, 01:23:53 am »

Sunshine.

Also, I like the idea of my skeletens having tendons and bits of muscle.  I'd also like it if they started zombies, and slowly they speed up as pieces rotted off and they became skeletons as well.

JohnLukeG

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7900 on: December 04, 2009, 01:28:57 am »

So I was thinking that evil biomes could be made a bit more interesting.  I mean, where are zombie/skeletal creatures supposed to come from?  I think anything that dies should have a chance to be reanimated if you're in an evil biome.  Could use the same type of check as strange moods, and depending on the amount of decomposition, the creature could come back as undead or skeletal. 

Would add some extra fun!  Those unlucky dwarves who get struck down while sparring could get back up and seek revenge as zombies!  (Unless their bodies are buried or otherwise disposed of.)

Sorry if this topic's been talked about enough already, I haven't read through everything on the forums... yet.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7901 on: December 04, 2009, 01:43:03 am »

So I was thinking that evil biomes could be made a bit more interesting.  I mean, where are zombie/skeletal creatures supposed to come from?

Take a look at the dev notes, especially dev_next (linked to from the latest dev_now update); it's mentioned in there.

Evil/Good regions are meant to eventually be generalized into regions affiliated with specific spheres of influence, with associated effects. So you might have a forest associated with, say, fire, or love, or disease.

Quote from: dev_next.html
Generalization of "zombie" and "skeleton" to broader curses/sphere-related alterations (Core96)

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7902 on: December 04, 2009, 02:13:39 am »

So I was thinking that evil biomes could be made a bit more interesting.  I mean, where are zombie/skeletal creatures supposed to come from?  I think anything that dies should have a chance to be reanimated if you're in an evil biome.  Could use the same type of check as strange moods, and depending on the amount of decomposition, the creature could come back as undead or skeletal. 

Would add some extra fun!  Those unlucky dwarves who get struck down while sparring could get back up and seek revenge as zombies!  (Unless their bodies are buried or otherwise disposed of.)

DF once had a "plot event" where dwarves would rise as undead, but it got removed before DF's first release:

There used to be a scripted undead attack in the 6th year, a long time ago.  The dead would rise in your fortress, and there were thoughts roughly like "was attacked by own zombie child recently".  That needs to make its way back in somehow, but it might have to wait until an evil artifact has that effect on it.

The idea of an "evil artifact" (as mentioned above) came up in the first DF Talk when they were discussing possible implementations of magic:

Quote from: DF Talk 1 transcript
Toady: [...] if some guy makes a fell mood object and then all of a sudden all the dead bodies in your fortress start to rise up and you have to try [to] dump the thing down to a chasm before you all get eaten alive ... that'd be pretty cool.

And later on, talking about the role of undeath in the sphere-linked regions that G-Flex mentioned above:

Quote from: DF Talk 2 transcript
Rainseeker:   [3]Let's talk about spheres for a second. Are the zombies, skeletons, undead and such; are they going to appear only in the undead region sphere now? Or will they come in other areas too.
Toady:   It depends on one of those things we were talking about, like do undead have souls, and what is the undead? If it's somebody combing partially back to life then it could be any sphere that's related to death or rebirth even; it's kind of weird to have the sphere of rebirth have undead things but it's possible.
Rainseeker:   They're good zombies, maybe.
Toady:   Yeah, they're good zombies, with little fairy hats and stuff ... whatever a fairy hat is. But then there's the notion of just animating a corpse, and that's the purview of death or if brooms and stuff are also moving around then it's more of a regular magical thing. But there's also the notion of having some kind of spirits from the underworld populate the body, then that could be any kind of evil.
Ampersand:   There's also another concept of it being a disease that is passed between individuals.
Toady:   Yeah, there's the viral zombie model ... [and] there's also the radiation zombie model I guess. So the viral thing, I don't know ... are they dead? Or are they ...
Capntastic:   Their brain's just messed up by like ...
Toady:   Yeah, viruses. I guess what the 28 Days Later model is it's just sort of a viral rage thing, but they aren't actually dead; is that correct? And then they starve to death. So any of those is fair game as they come up. Now, the undead that'll come in at first; I still have evil regions in this release so things will probably be the same as they were before, and then as I move over to sphere-based regions then at first it's going to be just kind of a death thing I guess, and to make them fairly common those will just be common areas. The whole idea of undead in general is going to be generalised to the notion of a curse, and that could just be some random sphere thing: there could just be a bunch of fire dear, and fire elk, and fire chipmunks and the fire man; that's kind of the cheesy thing that you'd expect out of the game after a while. Of course we can get more sophisticated but you don't start there.

Another recent post on the topic of how creatures become undead:

Ghost transformations are one of those metaphysical matters that didn't have explanations attempted in the game when they existed, just like the current undead regions.  When those have explanations, things like ruins with zombies should arise more naturally.  This could involve gods in pantheons of death/rebirth/etc., regions linked to death/etc. for whatever reason, etc., but it's all specific mechanics at that point.  I guess a key point there would be that site/civ-wide zombie transformations would still theoretically be able to happen during play, which would be cool, once you've got the world gen mechanics trickled over to dwarf mode or adv mode (or vice versa, whichever way it goes in first).

Reese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7903 on: December 04, 2009, 03:38:44 am »

Maybe they trade it off of humans or something, but my elves bring me 5-10 barrels of various booze every season (which is the only thing I buy off them anymore, and only on principal: elves don't deserve to have any booze)
All glory to the Hypno-Toady!

Innominate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7904 on: December 04, 2009, 04:09:24 am »

Sigh, now I'll have to slaughter huge numbers of goblins to turn my rivers blood red.

This is not really a negative, is it?
Pages: 1 ... 525 526 [527] 528 529 ... 1065