Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 527 528 [529] 530 531 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3635964 times)

kiffer.geo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #7920 on: December 04, 2009, 09:02:53 pm »

disclamer: I'm on the bus on the way home from the pub, it's only 1am so I should be making sense but just in case... 

hey all this flow talk reminds me of a question I wanted to ask...  Toady, how do you actually handle flows and water pressure? Did you look at hydrogeological programs like modflow which handle flows through rock, soil and free space, based on permeability, poreosity, fluid viscosity,  pressure and so on? I know you do a lot of serious research. :-) obviously over doing the details of flows would be a a bit too much and would put a strain on the auld CPU but if you could get flow dissection and head/pressure for each cube and set it as a flag and then... Wait I'm getting a head of myself here... How are flows currently handled, roughly what do you see/want to happen in the future? How much is too much?

Mumble mumble contamination plumes in ground water mumble mumble gases as low viscosity fluids mumble mumble pressure serious overkill mumble mumble slow seepage from walls mumble mumble elf blood contamination mumble mumble bucket chain.

« Last Edit: December 04, 2009, 09:22:53 pm by kiffer.geo »

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7921 on: December 04, 2009, 09:06:53 pm »

disclamer: I'm on the bus on the way home from the pub, it's only 1am so I should be making sense but just in case... 

hey all this flow talk reminds me of a question I wanted to ask...  Toady, how do you actually handle flows and water pressure? Did you look at hydrogeological programs like modflow which handle flows through rock, soil and free space, based on permeability, poreosity, fluid viscosity,  pressure and so on? I know you do a lot of serious research. :-) obviously over doing the details of flows would be a a bit too much and would put a strain on the auld CPU but if you could get flow dissection and head/pressure for each cube and set it as a flag and then... Wait I'm getting a head of myself here... How are flows currently handled, roughly what do you see/want to happen in the future? How much is too much?

Mumble mumble contamination plumes in ground water mumble mumble gases as low viscosity fluids mumble mumble pressure serious overkill mumble mumble slow seepage from walls mumble mumble elf blood contamination mumble mumble bucket chain.
Though it's on 40d, here is a fairly useful exploration of fluid mechanics.
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

kiffer.geo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7922 on: December 04, 2009, 09:40:54 pm »

hough it's on 40d, here is a fairly useful exploration of fluid mechanics.

Thanks, that's interesting... and has triggered some strong deja vu for some reason... bed time for me I think... I'd still like to hear a bit of the word of God on this one... I remember something from an interview a few years ago... maybe the Gamasutra one ... I'll read through that again before bed... seriously how much more processor time would a nice simple finite element array take up for flows... and it would give beck so much ... *cough cough* maybe.

EDIT: yeah it's here in this Gamasutra interview... sigh...
« Last Edit: December 04, 2009, 09:55:50 pm by kiffer.geo »

Outcast Orange

• Bay Watcher
  • [SOMETIMES_SQUID]
    • View Profile
    • The Outcast Orange
« Reply #7923 on: December 04, 2009, 10:23:25 pm »

This is getting so far along! Toady is king of stuff.
[7:53:55 PM] Armok, why did you demand that I don't eat you?
[7:54:34 PM] [Armok]: woooooo

Burried Houses - Platform Explorer Demo H - Cloud Scream

Quatch

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_ GRADSTUDENT]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch? Sometimes..
« Reply #7924 on: December 04, 2009, 10:57:48 pm »

Sounds like someone is in need of a healthy dose of Darcy.
SAVE THE PHILOSOPHER!
>>KillerClowns: It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarven science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".
>>Orius: I plan my forts with some degree of paranoia.  It's kept me somewhat safe.

Quatch

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_ GRADSTUDENT]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch? Sometimes..
« Reply #7925 on: December 04, 2009, 10:59:31 pm »

Will muddied ground be cleanable/autocleaned/seasonal cleaned? My drowning traps leaving muddied entrance ways for all time (on stone, barring reconstruction, and trashing engravings), bothers me.

[pre-emptive thank you to the forumgoer, likely footkerchief, who answers this :)  ]
SAVE THE PHILOSOPHER!
>>KillerClowns: It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarven science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".
>>Orius: I plan my forts with some degree of paranoia.  It's kept me somewhat safe.

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7926 on: December 04, 2009, 11:02:20 pm »

Smooth the stone. It then gets cleaned.
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7927 on: December 04, 2009, 11:10:42 pm »

Will muddied ground be cleanable/autocleaned/seasonal cleaned? My drowning traps leaving muddied entrance ways for all time (on stone, barring reconstruction, and trashing engravings), bothers me.

Toady mentioned the cleaning of terrain spatters (such as mud) in the dev log, and the List has this completed item: "Update the current seasonal cleaning of blood hack vs. new material spatter."  So it's still in inasmuch as it is now, although that's not saying too much.  I think they're currently more likely to clean floors that are part of a room.

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7928 on: December 05, 2009, 12:54:45 am »

Smooth the stone. It then gets cleaned.
By the sounds of it he's already engraved it.
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

atomfullerene

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7929 on: December 05, 2009, 12:59:22 am »

This sounds like a job for....a hypothetical designation for cleaning function

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7930 on: December 05, 2009, 01:04:53 am »

Magma solves everything.  Flood it with magma then the mud will go away.  And failing that add water afterward, then dig out the obsidian and re-engrave.  Your engravers probably have slightly higher skill now anyway.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7931 on: December 05, 2009, 01:38:11 am »

If it's already been engraved, the same should still apply. I'm pretty damn sure I've seen dwarves with 'cleaning' jobs wipe the blood and vomit from my smoothed and engraved entryway.
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

Saber Cherry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7932 on: December 05, 2009, 02:27:37 am »

If someone eats a masterpiece meal and vomits on the floor, does the janitor commit a crime by cleaning it?

Nexii Malthus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7933 on: December 05, 2009, 07:06:52 am »

This sounds like a job for....a hypothetical designation for cleaning function

Probably would be even better if the cleaning jobs would only happen if the dirty tile was in the respective burrow of the dwarf.

alfie275

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7934 on: December 05, 2009, 07:47:46 am »

If someone eats a masterpiece meal and vomits on the floor, does the janitor commit a crime by cleaning it?

Sounds like a philisophical question, dont ask me why.
I do LP of videogames!
See here:
http://www.youtube.com/user/MrAlfie275
Pages: 1 ... 527 528 [529] 530 531 ... 1065