Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 360 361 [362] 363 364 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3627755 times)

Zironic

• Bay Watcher
  • [SDRAW_KCAB]
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #5415 on: October 07, 2009, 12:32:05 am »

What toady needs to do is limit refuse space, as currently, using dumping, it is infinite. However, say certain refuse doesn't decompose, and can only be moved by using some sort of new fill ability. While you'd eventually have a landfill in larger forts, by dumping it in clown's funhouses, you risk the hilarity of them coming out, throwing jokes at you, causing dwarfs to combust into laughter etc.

Christes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5416 on: October 07, 2009, 12:52:34 am »

I like the idea of the funhouse periodically spitting out new waves of clowns.  But it should give a sullen player (one who who doesn't fall down laughing at the first wave) a chance to cause a strategic falling of rock and prevent further hilarity.

Chronas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5417 on: October 07, 2009, 12:58:48 am »

If i didn't know what you are talking about, it would sound psychotic as carp!
Armokdamn clowns...
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...
It should be pretty fun though.

Rockphed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5418 on: October 07, 2009, 01:10:32 am »

If i didn't know what you are talking about, it would sound psychotic as carp!
Armokdamn clowns...

I know what they are talking about and it sounds psychotic.  Really, this fan base is nuts.
Only vaguely. Made of the same substance and put to the same use, but a bit like comparing a castle and a doublewide trailer.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5419 on: October 07, 2009, 01:31:47 am »

The flying steel bolt strikes the Clown Car, piercing through the clown into the clown and coming to rest in the clown!

Really, there's a serious dearth of nightmare-inducing mods.

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5420 on: October 07, 2009, 01:44:38 am »

Clowns?  What?
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

Christes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5421 on: October 07, 2009, 01:49:59 am »

Clowns are very hilarious creatures.

Just read this account and see for yourself.

edit: Puzzlemaker, weren't you the one with a very famous run-in with clowns?  You breached the funhouse and everyone was like "Don't tell him how funny it is!  Let him find out heehee!"
« Last Edit: October 07, 2009, 02:14:47 am by Christes »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5422 on: October 07, 2009, 06:43:36 am »

Amazing update today Toady.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #5423 on: October 07, 2009, 06:45:53 am »

Yes, quite interesting. Finally, adventurers can go on something that can possibly be called an "adventure" as opposed to a "quest".

Any chance for that "vertical connections between layers" thing to affect mineral placement?
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5424 on: October 07, 2009, 07:09:33 am »

Tunneling enemies, remember?  Although that means you could get HFS after having not dug at all, I guess.

This could work if Tunneling enemies had a "preferred" stone types to dig through. Since they're always encapsulated in Adamantine, you could just set they're tunneling preferences to "Never dig through adamantine, but it's OK to dig through anything else" and you could have the best of both worlds.

This makes perfect sense to me. In lore terms, you could think of it this way:

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5425 on: October 07, 2009, 07:18:12 am »

The only problem with that story is that there is more to HFS then that

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5426 on: October 07, 2009, 07:24:37 am »

Or more like the gods just capped all of the rifts into hell with Adamantine as soon as they could. When you're dealing with infinite demons you don't piss about.

NobbZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5427 on: October 07, 2009, 07:41:37 am »

Hi!

Is there a way to test the In-Dev-Verison?

I think it is a pity, that there passed over a year since the last release...

In generall I would appreciate more and smaller releases.

It is really anoying to me, to read about all the new awesome features or work in progress nearly daily in the dev log, but not able to test any small bit of it. First I thougt the 40d16 (and similar) would be what I search, but I cant really find the new features on a first view, the new graphic engine seems to be really the only change against 40d-standard. Or are there the changes and I dont look deep enough?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5428 on: October 07, 2009, 07:59:08 am »

Naw they don't do too much other then possibly speed up the game, mess it up, or slow it down.

For the most part after this release (and one more) we will be back to updates that are much closer together

for the most part Toady is trying to set it up so that the updates don't break save compatability.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5429 on: October 07, 2009, 08:32:30 am »

The only problem with digging vs tunneling is that the two words have the same definition. Plus I don't think Toady said anything about 'tunneling' critters for this update. That kind of thing may have to wait for the pathing revision though.

On todays devnotes, when I read that, I thought of lava tubes. I don't know how easy they would be to make, but at their simplest, they would be a natural tunnel with obsidian on all sides. Think 3D here, as in a vertical grid of 9 squares, the central one would be empty. Although things such a lava tubes may be indistingushable from small tunnels leading of of caverns.
Pages: 1 ... 360 361 [362] 363 364 ... 1065