Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 359 360 [361] 362 363 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3627748 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #5400 on: October 06, 2009, 11:00:15 am »

Well it is infinate spawn not non-stop spawn :P

Christes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5401 on: October 06, 2009, 11:43:12 am »

Actually, an infinite spawn would be fun too - or perhaps they could release a wave every now and again, like a Goblin Siege of foul demons.

Here's a quote from Toady:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

It sounds like you might get your wish.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5402 on: October 06, 2009, 12:09:59 pm »

I am sure Toady has other surprises for use involving the HFS that he won't reveal

To bad Ill still have to find out from the board.

I have yet to actually find HFS

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #5403 on: October 06, 2009, 12:32:51 pm »

300 degrees Dwarvin. It works.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Christes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5404 on: October 06, 2009, 12:38:13 pm »

You and your newfangled systems - I'll take Dwarvenheit any day.

Zironic

• Bay Watcher
  • [SDRAW_KCAB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5405 on: October 06, 2009, 01:07:44 pm »

I think you guys are all in for a rude awakening when you realize what Toady is actually doing.
He's going to make the HFS truly game ending.

Magma + Water = Permanent Seal.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5406 on: October 06, 2009, 01:09:58 pm »

Tunneling enemies, remember?  Although that means you could get HFS after having not dug at all, I guess.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5407 on: October 06, 2009, 01:18:36 pm »

Tunneling enemies, remember?  Although that means you could get HFS after having not dug at all, I guess.

This could work if Tunneling enemies had a "preferred" stone types to dig through. Since they're always encapsulated in Adamantine, you could just set they're tunneling preferences to "Never dig through adamantine, but it's OK to dig through anything else" and you could have the best of both worlds.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5408 on: October 06, 2009, 01:36:00 pm »

Tunneling through Admantine should be next to impossible and likely dangerous (Like digging through Armor peircing Razor wire)

Digging through it though should take a long while.

HLBeta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5409 on: October 06, 2009, 02:24:52 pm »

I like the idea of "digging too deep" and unleashing something truly evil that will almost certainly wipe out your fortress, but I do not think they should have an infinite spawn. Or, perhaps, they will spawn infinitely until a certain mega HFS (think a balrog-like thing or a badass demon) is destroyed. Perhaps you will have to descend into the pit to fight this creature, along with its progeny and that will stop the attacks. This could be done in adventure, fortress, or reclaim mode.

It would be exceptionally difficult to hack through an HFS onslaught to get to this megabeast, but if there is one thing the DF community likes, its a challenge, right?

I personally like that idea and there is a certain level of precedent for such actions it in the Threetoe story Summoned to Darkness, although that was an arguably unsuccessful attempt to do so. Even though alot of the Threetoe stuff is v1+ material, this idea just might be practical for near-future implementation since it's really just the old HFS made bigger and handed quasi-entity status. I would be quite happy to give my adventurer something better to do than kill all the surviving megabeasts in the world with a single nickel and this just might be it. My only worry is that such a good story mechanic may well be rendered dull by overuse and outright laughable by player stupidity belligerent genius, the inevitable dwarf carnage is just a happy side effect.
... and then it explodes!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5410 on: October 06, 2009, 02:42:10 pm »

It would be interesting to see that if you entered HFS the game would check the strength of your adventurer (and party if they come with you) and generate what happens to you afterwords

Were you massacred, did you die a champion, or did you become an immortal scurge of HFS? Possibly becoming HFS yourself.

Though more then HFS should come from HFS but it should be HFS like (I really should make this a HFS suggestion)

Actually one part of HFS that disapointed me was the genericness of the non-HFS that is inside the HFS. Why couldn't the non-HFS be generated like the HFS? Heck there is already a large pool of generation why not use that? Actually maybe I should ask Toady

Note: No I am not speaking non-sense. I just am trying not to spoil anything.

Question for Toady within spoiler

« Last Edit: October 06, 2009, 05:01:04 pm by Neonivek »

IHateOutside

• Bay Watcher
  • Fire safety is for wimps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5411 on: October 06, 2009, 05:12:12 pm »

I would love a Diablo-like desent into hell to face off an Uber-monster. Then if your character fails a test to see if he was worthy, he is posessed by the monster. Only you don't know this till your character walks into your dining room, summons an army of fun and slaughters everything dwarfy.

come to think of it aren't all roguelikes descend into hell, kill a demon?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5412 on: October 06, 2009, 05:19:17 pm »

I would love a Diablo-like desent into hell to face off an Uber-monster. Then if your character fails a test to see if he was worthy, he is posessed by the monster. Only you don't know this till your character walks into your dining room, summons an army of fun and slaughters everything dwarfy.

come to think of it aren't all roguelikes descend into hell, kill a demon?

Some have it as an option, but yes... I can't think of many Roguelikes that don't invariably end in you decending to hell or the underworld and even fewer where dying isn't the end and you can try to fight your way out of death! (In one non-roguelike dying was a requirement to win the game, though they flat out tell you this)

Agriband and Elona don't feature it to my knowledge.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2009, 05:46:04 pm by Neonivek »

Taal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5413 on: October 06, 2009, 09:21:31 pm »

I like the idea of digging to deep, or unleashing HFS will send unlimited waves of enemies that will only stop when a large Megabeast is killed, if said megabeast perhaps stayed within the confines of HFS so that you have to fight your way through the horde to stop it.

Sysice

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5414 on: October 06, 2009, 11:17:25 pm »

Personally, I think infinite clowns is not a good idea at all. IMO, if you strike their funhouse, the game would not be as fun if they just spawn forever. My perfect df reality would feature something like the 2d version: Sure, you can dump stuff in the gate to the plane of clowns. Hope you don't mind the very fun clowns you just summoned.

Also, hope this version turns out to be as awesome as it sounds so far!
Randomized megabeasts, underground makeover, tons of military stuff, the speed of 40d# with hopefully none of the crash issues, and so much more... I think I drool more over this than shrimp...
I managed to make a dog that bled bees.
Quote from: Threetoe
Imagine evil grass that looks like a mass of wriggling worms. Happy holidays!
Pages: 1 ... 359 360 [361] 362 363 ... 1065