Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 167 168 [169] 170 171 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3635929 times)

Techhead

• Bay Watcher
  • Former Minister of Technological Heads
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #2520 on: June 16, 2009, 01:12:30 pm »

Before a seige leaves due to lack of pathways to target, re-calculate the accessibility map used for the A* algorithm, this time treating doors, flood-gates, hatches, grates, bars, and bridges as passable. Then make the goblins loiter around entrances and set up camp. If they brought trolls, the trolls will knock them down. Perhaps even give non-building destroyers the ability to attack locked passageways if they are definite impediments. (They wouldn't destroy workshops, roads, supports, etc., or unlocked doors)
Engineering Dwarves' unfortunate demises since '08
WHAT?  WE DEMAND OUR FREE THINGS NOW DESPITE THE HARDSHIPS IT MAY CAUSE IN YOUR LIFE
It's like you're all trying to outdo each other in sheer useless pedantry.

bjlong

• Bay Watcher
  • [INVISIBLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2521 on: June 16, 2009, 01:14:29 pm »

Hoo, interesting stuff.

Sorta going along with Footkercheif's question, will we be able to have alert statuses cancel all jobs in certain workshops, while leaving others intact? So if there's a workshop near the entrance and there's a not-too-threatening seige, we could tell that workshop to stop doing stuff, but leave the rest of the fortress running.

Hmm... I hope that's clear enough. I suppose there are other ways to get the same effect, too.
I hesitate to click the last spoiler tag because I expect there to be Elder Gods in it or something.

darkevilme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2522 on: June 16, 2009, 01:17:54 pm »

Wow, i wasnt sure what i expected to replace stay inside. But this is awesome. It's also, correct me if i'm wrong, a big step towards fortresses becoming autonomous so that the player could finally visit it after abandoning and still see dwarves cheerfully going about their business. Albeit that goal being fully realized is probably somewhere next to 'implementation of magic' on the development roadmap.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2523 on: June 16, 2009, 01:22:55 pm »

Wow. There's a feature I wasn't really expecting to see go in this time. Awesome. I hate not being able to use external buildings with the 'stay inside order'. This will make things much, much easier.

Same here, I never thought that Toady plans to add small, yet very important features like this for the next release. Pure awesomeness.  8)

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2524 on: June 16, 2009, 02:44:56 pm »

I don't even use the "don't go outside" order. I just set up my fort so my dwarves never have a reason to go beyond the outermost gates, aside from my woodcutters and shrub-smashers. Much better than the stay inside order, and works with aboveground buildings.

Since it looks like these new alert things are going to bring industry to a temporary halt, it looks like I won't be using too much of those either.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Shamasu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://world-of-dungeons.net/?link_eb_51408
« Reply #2525 on: June 16, 2009, 03:40:14 pm »

I don't even use the "don't go outside" order. I just set up my fort so my dwarves never have a reason to go beyond the outermost gates, aside from my woodcutters and shrub-smashers. Much better than the stay inside order, and works with aboveground buildings.

Since it looks like these new alert things are going to bring industry to a temporary halt, it looks like I won't be using too much of those either.

That's what I do. After you set up underground farm you don't even have to go outside at all. (Farms for food, and and tower cap farms for logs).

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2526 on: June 16, 2009, 03:41:47 pm »

"Don't go outside" isn't all bad.  Means that my stoopid woodcutters and hunters can get inside during a siege (not that that saved my hunter from a recent goblin ambush... almost every part of his body was mangled just before he died).

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #2527 on: June 16, 2009, 03:56:16 pm »

You can make forts that aren't hampered by it, sure. But it still limits what you can do, and I've had some fort designs where those orders caused all sorts of problems.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2528 on: June 16, 2009, 04:00:53 pm »

You can make forts that aren't hampered by it, sure. But it still limits what you can do, and I've had some fort designs where those orders caused all sorts of problems.
If you have, say, outside mines or farms, it could cause problems.  And it caused one of my dwarves on his way to the chasm to run straight into a rather dangerous cave.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2529 on: June 16, 2009, 04:21:53 pm »

I'm curious. If for some of us, we set the pop cap to something like 9001... can we appoint additional bureaucrats to handle the increase in people? One person to listen to the complaints of 9001 dwarves is hardly enough.

Azkanan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2530 on: June 16, 2009, 04:32:58 pm »

I'm curious. If for some of us, we set the pop cap to something like 9001... can we appoint additional bureaucrats to handle the increase in people? One person to listen to the complaints of 9001 dwarves is hardly enough.
Royal Dwarf: Sir, migrants have arrived...
Urist McMayor: Oh, really? Let me add them to the chart-...
Royal Dwarf: Sir?
Urist McMayor: It's...It's OVER NINE THOUSANNDDD!!!
Royal Dwarf: Nine Thousand?!
Urist McMayor: OVERR NINE THOUUSSAANNDD!!!
Dwarf from the corridor: Nine thousand?!?!
Royal Dwarf: OVERR NINE THOUSSANNDD!!!
Urist McMayor: Dude, you stole my line...
Royal Dwarf: My Bad. Here, have a !!kitten!!

A moment later..

Dwarf Outside: The Mayor has been assas-...

He then realizes everybody is on fire.

:)
A pool of Dwarven Ale.
WHO IS RESPONSIBLE FOR THIS ?

Christes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2531 on: June 16, 2009, 05:22:50 pm »

Why did you pick a number like 9001 anyway? :P

bjlong

• Bay Watcher
  • [INVISIBLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2532 on: June 16, 2009, 05:51:15 pm »

Because it's OVER NINE THOUSANNDD!!!
I hesitate to click the last spoiler tag because I expect there to be Elder Gods in it or something.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2533 on: June 16, 2009, 06:24:46 pm »

Toady do you have any plans to deal with the two main population problems in the game?

Namely Elves are too numberous (At least in the sense that there are SOOO many that they effectively turn surviving members of another race into Super Legends)

and Goblins are too few (From murdering eachother non-stop... Though this doesn't seem to train them too well)

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2534 on: June 16, 2009, 07:18:03 pm »

Also, this question might seem a tad random, but are there any plans to make an entity's metal preferences more flexible?

At the moment, of course, an entity can only use the least valuable metal, the most valuable non-deep metal, and the second-most valuable, but this can be kind of restrictive to modders. Will this system still be around for the next release of Dwarf Fortress, or will there be some new, more flexible system?
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.
Pages: 1 ... 167 168 [169] 170 171 ... 1065