Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 165 166 [167] 168 169 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3578547 times)

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #2490 on: June 15, 2009, 02:58:38 pm »

You know, asking for a mechanic that allows us to circumvent to construction of terrible killing rooms is very undwarven.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #2491 on: June 15, 2009, 03:20:34 pm »

Kill orders can be given regarding any creature not directly under your fort's control, though as to why on earth you'd want to kill the elven dignitaries, well, I just have no idea.

Toady, you're amazing.

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware those who would keep knowledge from you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2492 on: June 15, 2009, 03:36:12 pm »

what badger means is can the new DNA system you have developed produce mutated versions of whatever animal it happens to be such as developing albinism.

though i doubt there is any real degree of randomness in the genetics for animals other than the Dorfs.

Yeah, that's what I'm talking about, exactly. Thanks, Jakkarra!

Also, are there any plans to ever give animals and/or beasts-through-megabeasts, personalities?
For they would be your masters.

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #2493 on: June 15, 2009, 04:46:04 pm »

I'd say it should be possible to attack dwarves, but with such a terrible, and cross-dwarf mood penalty that it almost always leads to a tantrum spiral.

That solution would be positively Dwarven.
C++ makes baby Cthulhu weep. Why settle for the lesser horror?

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #2494 on: June 15, 2009, 04:56:30 pm »

I'd say it should be possible to attack dwarves, but with such a terrible, and cross-dwarf mood penalty that it almost always leads to a tantrum spiral.

That solution would be positively Dwarven.

Now, of course, this tantrum spiral wouldn't happen if there was a dwarf everyone hated. Imagine if the player killed off every dwarf that everyone hated, then suddenly his military decided that was their duty, and suddenly you find your fortress to be a "survival of the most popular" thing where everyone kills anyone that people hate.

Christes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2495 on: June 15, 2009, 05:15:29 pm »

And then combine that with genetics.  Soon we'll have tyrannical fortresses working on the dwarven master race.

bjlong

• Bay Watcher
  • [INVISIBLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2496 on: June 15, 2009, 05:25:59 pm »

This release should be code-named Hitler.
I hesitate to click the last spoiler tag because I expect there to be Elder Gods in it or something.

Leerok the Lacerta

• Bay Watcher
  • Linuxer
    • View Profile
    • The Online Journal of Leerok the Lacerta
« Reply #2497 on: June 15, 2009, 07:09:47 pm »

Kill orders can be given regarding any creature not directly under your fort's control...

Including nobles?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2498 on: June 15, 2009, 07:13:23 pm »

Kill orders can be given regarding any creature not directly under your fort's control...

Including nobles?

I don't believe he means Nobles as that would be silly.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #2499 on: June 15, 2009, 08:46:21 pm »

It makes sense that you cant make the military attack a random dwarf, but will there at some point in the future be a way to use the justice system for that instead?
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2500 on: June 15, 2009, 09:17:27 pm »

I know people hate this question but its in relation to a class I registered for and (hopefully) gotten but: is there any chance of the next version being done in the august december timeframe? I'm going into a 2-d game class of some kind and I would love to showcase dwarf fortress to the class. Then again "training" them on the current version might be the better thing to do since the next version appears to be alot more complicated but still I'm curious.

Caretaker Eric

• Bay Watcher
  • You do the voodoo that you do.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2501 on: June 15, 2009, 09:40:09 pm »

OH MY GOD. TELL ME YOU WEREN'T KIDDING. ARE YOU ACTUALLY A DOCTOR!?
The voodoo that I do in this case is run down children with a helicopter, swinging away at them with a gigantic ball menacing with spikes of magnetite.

"And you can get moose silk naturally or through a botched smelter reaction." - Kagus

"Dwarf Fortress: Using waterwheels to power your pumps to power the waterwheels." - kernel

Fieari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2502 on: June 15, 2009, 09:49:55 pm »

Toady has a Doctorate in Mathematics, yes.

RavingManiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2503 on: June 15, 2009, 09:57:13 pm »

If you attack any member of another civilization, said civilization should immediately become hostile to you, rather than sending more caravans to be massacred.

The more times a caravan gets attacked(regardless of who the attacker is), the greater the number of guards sent to protect the caravan. Thus, if the human caravans get ambushed a lot, future caravans will arrive more heavily protected. The same applies if you destroyed the caravans yourself, but made peace with the civilization, so future caravan destruction attempts will be riskier.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2009, 09:58:56 pm by RavingManiac »
Thief:"Quiet kitty, Qui-"
Cat:"THIEF! Protect the hoard from the skulking filth!"
The resulting party killed 20 dwarves, crippled 2 more and the remaining 9 managed to get along and have a nice party.

Caretaker Eric

• Bay Watcher
  • You do the voodoo that you do.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2504 on: June 15, 2009, 10:04:11 pm »

Toady has a Doctorate in Mathematics, yes.

My world... My world, filled with the flames of burning ale and kitten carcass... My world, that is the scourge of The Infinite Realms... My world, contained to a trading post in a mountain no one wishes to immigrate to....

... Has been cleansed...

... And all that was once mortifying... Is now beautiful...

I love you, Toady...

On a side note, Do you own some sort of a boat? Canoe? Ship? You know, merchant galleon? Anything? Because if you do, I'm gonna mail you a nameplate that is black on white I milled out that simply says "Doctor Captain" that I think should go on your door.
The voodoo that I do in this case is run down children with a helicopter, swinging away at them with a gigantic ball menacing with spikes of magnetite.

"And you can get moose silk naturally or through a botched smelter reaction." - Kagus

"Dwarf Fortress: Using waterwheels to power your pumps to power the waterwheels." - kernel
Pages: 1 ... 165 166 [167] 168 169 ... 1065