Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 168 169 [170] 171 172 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3635756 times)

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #2535 on: June 16, 2009, 09:14:22 pm »

Toady do you have any plans to deal with the two main population problems in the game?

Namely Elves are too numberous (At least in the sense that there are SOOO many that they effectively turn surviving members of another race into Super Legends)

and Goblins are too few (From murdering eachother non-stop... Though this doesn't seem to train them too well)

Please deal with these problems, Toady...they are the main issues with the history generator right now (at least to me).

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2536 on: June 17, 2009, 09:20:04 am »

Also, this question might seem a tad random, but are there any plans to make an entity's metal preferences more flexible?

At the moment, of course, an entity can only use the least valuable metal, the most valuable non-deep metal, and the second-most valuable, but this can be kind of restrictive to modders. Will this system still be around for the next release of Dwarf Fortress, or will there be some new, more flexible system?

This would certainly be nice to fix for modders who want to use more esoteric "metals", such as crystal ores or other nonsenses.

And CUSTOM ALERT STATES, HOLY GOODNESS.

If the alert states can be used to direct dwarves to a specific area, one could rotate among a set o them and have a Dwarven marathon! The winner gets an anvil.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2537 on: June 17, 2009, 11:32:09 am »

*gasp* Toady doesn't use the darkling theme!
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Dareon Clearwater

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:colorful underwear]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2538 on: June 17, 2009, 11:41:10 am »

Off topic, but I wholly recommend bitter apple spray for keeping Scamps from chewing on cables (If that is the problem, cats do tend to pull with mouth and paws together.)  Practically any pet store will stock it, and it's a likely find in the pet aisles of major department stores.
It's like you're all trying to outdo each other in sheer useless pedantry.

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2539 on: June 17, 2009, 03:23:26 pm »

For associated threats, more to come.

Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

Mr.Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2540 on: June 17, 2009, 03:45:51 pm »

Also, this question might seem a tad random, but are there any plans to make an entity's metal preferences more flexible?

At the moment, of course, an entity can only use the least valuable metal, the most valuable non-deep metal, and the second-most valuable, but this can be kind of restrictive to modders. Will this system still be around for the next release of Dwarf Fortress, or will there be some new, more flexible system?

The caravan arc will take care of all that.
Youtube video of the year, all years.
Hmm...I've never been a big fan of CCGs - I mean, I did and still do collect Pokemon cards, but I never got heavily into the battling and trading thing.

By definition that makes you a fan since you still buy them.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2541 on: June 17, 2009, 03:54:07 pm »

Dakk: None of those are even remotely close to the danger posed by the player. In fact, player-assisted casualties are probably 900x greater than all those combined.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2542 on: June 17, 2009, 04:11:37 pm »

Goblins civs tend to do fine, they just get taken over by the slaves they've captured.  So the solution may be to just up the breeding rate of goblins due to their ridiculously high war and murder rate, and to get them to send slaves into battle so they don't take over.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2543 on: June 17, 2009, 04:22:48 pm »

Alternatively, maybe goblins should discourage the breeding of their captives, or keep them as a sort of "slave" caste. Or both. Something to discourage them from overtaking.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

ShadeJS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2544 on: June 17, 2009, 04:54:17 pm »

Toady do you have any plans to deal with the two main population problems in the game?

Namely Elves are too numberous (At least in the sense that there are SOOO many that they effectively turn surviving members of another race into Super Legends)

and Goblins are too few (From murdering eachother non-stop... Though this doesn't seem to train them too well)

Elves may or may not get out of hand... That depends a lot on the world and history seeds. It can be eerily random.

In the case of Goblins removing [MULTIPLE_LITTER_RARE], giving them a [liTTERSIZE:1:2], and [CHILD:10] in creature_standard.txt helps them a lot. The bigger problem is that they treat the snatched too well. Before they are accepted as part of the tribe / clan there should be a period of dangerous labour, dangerous imprisonment, and a better chance of physical violence... Just to make sure that they are fit additions to goblin societies and sufficiently sociopathic to blend in.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2009, 05:02:10 pm by ShadeJS »

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2545 on: June 17, 2009, 06:47:52 pm »

Goblins civs tend to do fine, they just get taken over by the slaves they've captured.  So the solution may be to just up the breeding rate of goblins due to their ridiculously high war and murder rate, and to get them to send slaves into battle so they don't take over.

I like that last idea. At first, equipping slaves with weapons and armor and showing them how to fight doesn't seem like the greatest idea (see: Spartacus), but historically, slave armies weren't completely unheard of. The islamic Fatimid dynasty of north africa, for example, had an army comprised almost entirely of slaves that lasted for centuries, somehow.

Of course, goblins already do this to some extent, but if they ONLY sent slaves, and sent slaves into battle as often as possible, it could go a long way to keeping the Foreigner:Goblin ratio low.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2009, 06:50:13 pm by Untelligent »
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #2546 on: June 17, 2009, 07:18:02 pm »

Dwarfes and Humans take slaves. Goblins rescue intelligent beings into a worthy society. (Damn that should be a line for a goblin philosopher) They seem to believe in equality of species even thought their right-system is a bit harsh not unlike social-Darwinism.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2547 on: June 17, 2009, 07:23:28 pm »

I like that last idea. At first, equipping slaves with weapons and armor and showing them how to fight doesn't seem like the greatest idea (see: Spartacus), but historically, slave armies weren't completely unheard of. The islamic Fatimid dynasty of north africa, for example, had an army comprised almost entirely of slaves that lasted for centuries, somehow.

The Islamic "slave" system last as long as it did because it was far removed from the Sparticus model.  They were slaves in that they were technically property of the Sultan, but that doesn't mean they were whipped or kept in shackles or the other nasty things we in the modern world associate with slavery.  They were actually some of the richer people in the Turkish Empire, and non-muslims would offer the kids to taken in the hope they'd get a good job and send money home.

The Janissary model actually isn't too far from Toady's occasional explanation of Goblin snatching.  Goblins see their way of life as superior and raise other children as Goblins.  That said, it would go a long way to keeping Goblins in their own civs if they'd snatch people at a slower rate than they breed, at least when their own ratio in the civ is small.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #2548 on: June 17, 2009, 07:28:12 pm »

I can't wait for the Random game Generator.

I wonder...does this mean that there is a chance of dwarves playing Wizards and Warlocks?

Christes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2549 on: June 17, 2009, 07:40:25 pm »

Off topic, but I wholly recommend bitter apple spray for keeping Scamps from chewing on cables (If that is the problem, cats do tend to pull with mouth and paws together.)  Practically any pet store will stock it, and it's a likely find in the pet aisles of major department stores.

Yes.  This works incredibly well with my dog.
Pages: 1 ... 168 169 [170] 171 172 ... 1065