Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3638252 times)

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #450 on: February 09, 2009, 09:14:28 pm »

It gets really irritating if your mayor is a very busy dwarf as the one with the complaint won't get any work done and will follow the mayor around for eons until the mayor is able to spare 10 minutes of real time for the bugger.

Of course, that will almost never happen by itself as the mayor will constantly want to drink, eat, sleep, do whatever work, harvest, etc. The dwarf in question will also want to constantly drink, eat, sleep, follow mayor around, making them actually conduct a meeting quite difficult.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: February 09, 2009, 09:15:08 pm »

I've seen that happen with four dwarves, after a first year ambush.

Oh.  I guess it's just the lack-of-work bitch sessions that are strictly post-economy.

Evidently I'm missing out on stuff too due to my fortresses being too happy.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #452 on: February 09, 2009, 09:24:47 pm »

Evidently I'm missing out on stuff too due to my fortresses being too happy.

Play with goblins.  They have short tempers, and hate each other.  I had a guy get wounded in the first year by a tantrumer who had a grudge against him, and the tantrumer got angry again after being forced to carry water to the guy he injured.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: February 09, 2009, 11:57:46 pm »

Ya know.  I haven't actually taken a serious stab at overcoming the HFS in ages. I think I'll make that my goal before the next release.

My current fort has a rather competent army, and access to the fun stuff.  I just need some iron.  The goblins seem to only have wrestlers in their employ so I don't even get iron from them.  My best equipped soldier is running around with a bronze sword and a hodgepodge of goat leather and turtle shell armor.  At year 4.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

AbuDhabi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #454 on: February 10, 2009, 02:50:03 am »

My current fort has a rather competent army, and access to the fun stuff.  I just need some iron.  The goblins seem to only have wrestlers in their employ so I don't even get iron from them.  My best equipped soldier is running around with a bronze sword and a hodgepodge of goat leather and turtle shell armor.  At year 4.

You had bronze?! :o

And here I thought my unarmoured wrestlers were cool...

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #455 on: February 10, 2009, 07:46:47 am »

Play with goblins.  They have short tempers, and hate each other.  I had a guy get wounded in the first year by a tantrumer who had a grudge against him, and the tantrumer got angry again after being forced to carry water to the guy he injured.

That's amazing.  Yeah, I have a long list of small mods to make for myself in the next version, might as well stick Goblin Fortress on there.

Glacies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #456 on: February 10, 2009, 07:47:03 am »

Get masterfull bone armor at least. Sheesh. Hodgepoge will not do against HFS.

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #457 on: February 10, 2009, 11:59:52 am »

I don't think the player should have any direct control over cannibalism. Dwarves don't do that in normal conditions. Of course, having cannibalism in the game would immensely further the cause of unnecessarily gruesome realism, bot you shouldn't be able to simply order someone eaten, unless the race you are playing has no ethical problems with cannibalism.

At the moment, starving dwarves catch and eat vermin. It would be nice if this was extended to unprepared fish, unbutchered animal carcasses, rotten food, old boots and, possibly depending on personality traits, people. Cannibalism could also be tied to going berserk. Berserkers have already stopped caring about ethics or society or other silly things like that, and might as well eat the things they murder if they happen to be hungry.

In short, cannibalism should be like murder; something the dwarves just do occasionally with no direct player input.

You couldn't designate dwarves for buthcering, but you could still get some dwarves eaten, much like you can have dwarves murdered if you try. Just drop a bunch in a hole wihtout food and hope one of them has the required personality to kill and eat the others.

Oh, and related to this, if your race had no ethical qualms with cannibalism (or murder or whatever), you should be able to designate people for eating (or killing or whatever). It might still cause unhappiness, if the deceased was friends with anyone, but you should be able to do it.

Larington

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #458 on: February 10, 2009, 12:31:42 pm »

I've just had an idea for a variation on the old floodgate. A 'dam' block which, when opened by a lever allows only one unit of water through at a time, rather than the full 7 - Useful for either fertilising ground in a controlled manner, or for letting a small stream of low level magma give invading opponents 'dance fever'... But mostly for the farming.
Larington cancels doing University Assignments: Gone INSANE.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #459 on: February 10, 2009, 01:05:18 pm »

You had bronze?! :o

And here I thought my unarmoured wrestlers were cool...

One of the wagons somehow got killed by a kobold while they were leaving the map.  It had some tin bars on it.  Remembering the 2D "how to make the best metals til you get deep enough to access iron" stuff, I melted down some kobold daggers and made a few bronze bars with the copper and tin. Then I turned that into a longsword. 

The only metal I can make gear out of that I have easy access to is silver, which of course is woefully inadequate.  I don't have magma either, so even if I get some $HFS$ without the ‼HFS‼, I don't think I can process it.

I would like that dam idea, but 1 tile deep water doesn't flow by itself.  You would probably have to have it 2 deep so it would still flow to fill up an area, unless some special case programming was done.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2009, 01:18:09 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Larington

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #460 on: February 10, 2009, 01:11:22 pm »

Ahh good point, not being particularly familiar with the flow mechanics I'd forgotten a 1 level water tile doesn't actually flow. It'd probably be simpler to have a 2 level water distribution from the tile and I always feel the simple solutions tend to work best.
Larington cancels doing University Assignments: Gone INSANE.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #461 on: February 10, 2009, 01:14:28 pm »

At the moment, starving dwarves catch and eat vermin. It would be nice if this was extended to unprepared fish, unbutchered animal carcasses, rotten food, old boots and, possibly depending on personality traits, people. Cannibalism could also be tied to going berserk. Berserkers have already stopped caring about ethics or society or other silly things like that, and might as well eat the things they murder if they happen to be hungry.

I'm also of the opinion that starving dwarves with food gathering skills should use them. Herbalists should go gather food from unharvested shrubs, and fishers should go fish (assuming an available fishable water source). They can then either eat the fish raw or immediately go clean them and eat them.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

tomato

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #462 on: February 10, 2009, 01:53:44 pm »

Ahh good point, not being particularly familiar with the flow mechanics I'd forgotten a 1 level water tile doesn't actually flow. It'd probably be simpler to have a 2 level water distribution from the tile and I always feel the simple solutions tend to work best.

Such mechanism would work well with the suggestion for harder farming.
Good idea, just not for the army arc.  ;)

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #463 on: February 10, 2009, 03:19:41 pm »

I have to say... every time I check this topic, I wonder why I'm bothering with the fortess I'm playing now.

This is what is demotivating me from playing, oddly enough. :(

Wow heh!!! I absolutely feel just like you guys. I barely played with the current version in the last 2-3 weeks, but ah well.  ;)

Demonic Gophers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Tunnels
« Reply #464 on: February 10, 2009, 03:21:55 pm »

Oh, and related to this, if your race had no ethical qualms with cannibalism (or murder or whatever), you should be able to designate people for eating (or killing or whatever). It might still cause unhappiness, if the deceased was friends with anyone, but you should be able to do it.

And on today's episode of When Problems Cancel Out, "Our food stores are almost empty, and 37 immigrants just arrived!"
*Digs tunnel under thread.*
I also answer to Gophers and DG.
Quote from: Shades of Gray
*Says something inspiring and quote worthy.*
Opinions are great, they're like onions with pi.
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 1065