Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3578474 times)

Glacies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #420 on: February 09, 2009, 07:03:14 am »

The Bonnacon needs to be made.  :P So, will we be able to smelt the gold globs that these theoretical gold dragon things spit? I'm assuming yes, bu don't want to get my hopes up yet.

If this is so, can we get creatures that breathe ice, or water?

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: February 09, 2009, 07:20:42 am »

So, will we be able to smelt the gold globs that these theoretical gold dragon things spit? I'm assuming yes, bu don't want to get my hopes up yet?

A while back, Toady said that metals will now revert to a 'glob' state when a molten bit of metal cools again, which can then be turned into bars, so almost certainly yes.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: February 09, 2009, 07:54:45 am »

been in an answering mood today.  Question threads handled, inbox empty...  no programming yet.

Well, I guess I speak for everyone when I say.....we like it when you are in an answering mood!  :D Thanks for the wall of answers again!  :)

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #423 on: February 09, 2009, 10:19:08 am »

Toady's DFD entry today about "hanging issues" reminded me:

we really want ways to execute people/captives.
(in addition to indirect deathtrap constructions)
hanging from a gallows, spitting on an upright spike, chopping of head on a public execution block, etc.
This ties in with horror/terror export and morality. which are part of the 'outerworld' issues of army arc and caravan arc.

Also in morality: an option in the dwarf behaviours menu for cannibalism (butchering sentients) in addition to eating vermin would be appreciated. Right now it is possible by adding butcherable/eddible tags* to sentients, but a vanilla option to do this would be cool.

Although most dwarfs would most likely go mad from having to eat a friend, when things get so bad it is required for survival, fun is nearby anyhow. micromanagement would  be required to prevent eating of dwarfs and allow eating of others. Eating elves might cause less bad thought, but might be as bad as eating vermin.

Maybe it has been suggsted as many times as there are DF updates, but :p.
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

Appelgren

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: February 09, 2009, 10:28:11 am »

I don't think the player should be able to designate sentients for butchering or eating - though having it happen spontaneously to dwarves with certain personality traits during times of starvation or as a part of a failed fell mood or something would be awesome.

Also - love the wall of answers.

Random832

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #425 on: February 09, 2009, 11:18:29 am »

So, will we be able to smelt the gold globs that these theoretical gold dragon things spit? I'm assuming yes, bu don't want to get my hopes up yet?

A while back, Toady said that metals will now revert to a 'glob' state when a molten bit of metal cools again, which can then be turned into bars, so almost certainly yes.

Will material loss from re-melting be fixed? (i.e. melting something should get back roughly the same amount of material that went into it, melting such a 'glob' should get you a bar instead of incrementing a counter to show you're one tenth of the way towards a bar, etc)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: February 09, 2009, 11:26:09 am »

Wow, sorta like the goose that could lay golden eggs.

I wonder if Toady will program in possible storage for material breath and other venoms

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: February 09, 2009, 12:56:55 pm »

Re-melting losing material is a very important gameplay balance thing IMO...  Getting the full volume back leads to free experience in a way that very few other skills do (aside from architecture).

So we've got poison resistances now, which is awesome...Can we also develop vulnerabilities?  (Can't recall the exact medical term right now, it might just be 'tolerance', but it's definately a bad thing) The real world is full of examples where being exposed to something once is bad, twice is worse, third time will kill you.  For many people with allergies, each bee-sting or peanut is a worse reaction than the last, and people who've worked with toxic chemicals find that they are 'just fine' now, but if they ever touch a certain kind of plastic, they break out in a horrible rash, etc.  Heck, there's a certain fungus-based chemical used in animal research that creates a huge immune response...  It's really useful to stimulate immune production the first time, but the second time, it kills you dead.  (Researchers have to be very careful handling it, because it plays by the same rules for humans too!  Splash it in your eye once, and you'd better steer clear for the rest of your life!)
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Head Hunter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: February 09, 2009, 01:19:19 pm »

Sounds good! I am looking forward to this new release! I know your initial guesstimate for release date was February, now its February, whats the new guesstimation. :)

BTW, I am addicted to reading your progress blog every day, and it really sucks when you leave for your break at the end of the month. :p lol Been close to a year since I discovered DF in PC Gamer magazine, lovin every minute of it.

Head Hunter

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: February 09, 2009, 01:26:15 pm »

Sounds good! I am looking forward to this new release! I know your initial guesstimate for release date was February, now its February, whats the new guesstimation. :)

Not before April, but probably before the arrival of the Four Horsemen.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #430 on: February 09, 2009, 01:42:06 pm »

I'm pretty sure Toady never guessed February, just a few guys who plotted like two weeks on a graph and said "If it's linear he's done HERE, if it's quadradic he's done HERE, let's pick a point halfway in between and say he'll be done then".
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Random832

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #431 on: February 09, 2009, 02:22:15 pm »

Re-melting losing material is a very important gameplay balance thing IMO...  Getting the full volume back leads to free experience in a way that very few other skills do (aside from architecture).

It's not free unless energy* is - what needs to be done is to balance magma, not introduce fake difficulty to another area. It's unrealistic for more than maybe a couple percent of material to be lost in re-melting.

*That and time spent making low-quality stuff rather than hauling / doing what the dwarf's already-skilled job is if they're cross-training / etc, but we generally don't think about those.

LegacyCWAL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #432 on: February 09, 2009, 02:41:20 pm »

I'm pretty sure Toady never guessed February, just a few guys who plotted like two weeks on a graph and said "If it's linear he's done HERE, if it's quadradic he's done HERE, let's pick a point halfway in between and say he'll be done then".
For the record, I originally guessed April based on two months' worth of progress a while back 8)
HIDE THE WOMEN AND DROWN THE CHILDREN, THE BARON HAS ARRIVED.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #433 on: February 09, 2009, 03:05:16 pm »

I am starting to wonder if we should just have one large "Ask Toady" Topic at this point due to the fact that the questions are now split between two topics... then again that may just cause overactive questioning. Which would become a problem if Toady stopped answering questions.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2009, 03:37:50 pm by Neonivek »

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: February 09, 2009, 03:22:17 pm »

Familiarity with individual weapons, attachment to them, weapon mentions in legends

Are soldiers likes going to have an impact on this? For example, will a soldier who likes war hammers be more likely to become attached to his current hammer then one who doesn't specifically like hammers?

Also, will military dwarves get good thoughts from being assigned to use equipment that they have a preference for?
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 1065