Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3638245 times)

Larington

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #465 on: February 10, 2009, 03:25:57 pm »

Ahh good point, not being particularly familiar with the flow mechanics I'd forgotten a 1 level water tile doesn't actually flow. It'd probably be simpler to have a 2 level water distribution from the tile and I always feel the simple solutions tend to work best.

Such mechanism would work well with the suggestion for harder farming.
Good idea, just not for the army arc.  ;)

Larington gets shot down!
Larington crashes and explodes in a hail of fire!  :P
Larington cancels doing University Assignments: Gone INSANE.

Alfador

• Bay Watcher
  • Dangerous Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #466 on: February 10, 2009, 06:25:19 pm »

I have to say... every time I check this topic, I wonder why I'm bothering with the fortess I'm playing now.

This is what is demotivating me from playing, oddly enough. :(

Wow heh!!! I absolutely feel just like you guys. I barely played with the current version in the last 2-3 weeks, but ah well.  ;)

I've barely played in the past 2-3 months. I lose. (And losing is fun...?)

[EDIT: AND the raw changes were what demotivated me from completing my mod which would have (and probably still will in the future) added several new species of foxes, real and mythical, to try to one-up Toady's gibbons, as well as a full new language for a civ of foxmen. I thought of creating some interesting Latin-derived name for the species that'd begin with "vulp-" but then realized that DF flavor already demanded a form for animal-ish human-ish creatures--hence foxmen. What really broke my will was the fact that I'd a) have to do the dictionary work all over again when the new language files came out, and b) have to redo the new body format for the nine-tailed megabeast when the new body raws came out.]
« Last Edit: February 10, 2009, 06:29:18 pm by Alfador »
This is a fox skull helmet. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It menaces with spikes of fox bone and is encircled with bands of fox leather. This item is haunted by the ghost of Alfador Angrorung the fox.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #467 on: February 10, 2009, 06:32:01 pm »

Well, I'm sure I'll be making a new version of my language maker script if there are any changes to the languages files. So that should help remove some pain.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Head Hunter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #468 on: February 10, 2009, 07:00:21 pm »

It was 10/22/08 of the 2008 progress blog where he guessed february, btw.

And damn, you all post too much, my post is buried 4 pages deep already! :p

I have to say... every time I check this topic, I wonder why I'm bothering with the fortess I'm playing now.

This is what is demotivating me from playing, oddly enough. :(

Wow heh!!! I absolutely feel just like you guys. I barely played with the current version in the last 2-3 weeks, but ah well.  ;)

Same here! I do so want to "finish" some of my multitude fortresses. But the looming new version(s) are squelching my will to play anymore right now, lol.

~Head Hunter

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #469 on: February 10, 2009, 07:59:34 pm »

Oh, never realised that was an official estimate!

As for motivation...Well, consider playing some time-attack challenge things.  Like the one week castle builder.  Stuff like that.  Or decide to see what the most cool thing you can make in a week with SPEED=1 is.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

DarkCloud

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #470 on: February 10, 2009, 10:42:57 pm »

Well, perhaps to speed up the release Toady could delay some non-essential things in his to-do list?

Basically he could just get the framework up and running, then add the very neat and very attractive extras?

It seems he may have made a good decision to delay the work on Venom. Without delaying some items, at the current rate of finishing updates 1-6/day, DF won't come out in May... it would be more like October (!)

Regardless, I'm certain Toady has a plan that does not involve indefinite delay. And he has certainly done a lot already. I wish him luck! :)

Qmarx

• Bay Watcher
  • "?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #471 on: February 11, 2009, 04:08:43 am »

So, my curiosity has grown to the point where I am compelled to ask this.

Toady, have you ever read Tom Godwin's The Survivors?

Because every time I read it, I feel like you keep making shout-outs.

The first chapter even includes the health care bug, of all things...

Anyway, tangent aside, I was wondering if fixed temperature secretions were possible with the new system.  It would be interesting to have something like "frost worm venom" that always stays at -40 degrees, or something along those lines.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2009, 04:15:56 am by Qmarx »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #472 on: February 11, 2009, 09:24:06 am »

"It would be interesting to have something like "frost worm venom" that always stays at -40 degrees, or something along those lines"

You mean like eating cold food lowers your body core temperature? Such as Ice, Snow, or Icy food?

LegacyCWAL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #473 on: February 11, 2009, 11:19:02 am »

Well, perhaps to speed up the release Toady could delay some non-essential things in his to-do list?
It looks like he's done that with the Venom section.  There's a half-dozen items that were either delayed or else crossed off the list.
HIDE THE WOMEN AND DROWN THE CHILDREN, THE BARON HAS ARRIVED.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #474 on: February 11, 2009, 11:55:30 am »

There arn't many Non-essential things on his list.

Remember that this release is based on the additions that are bound to break Save Compatability. (I have no problem with Save Compatability... I rarely transfer saves over)

So delaying some things may mean a save break later.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #475 on: February 11, 2009, 01:08:45 pm »

I feel compelled to note that if I'm reading today's dev log right, you'll be able to mod in air-filled gas bladders for big fishies and then stab them and air will leak out.

Magma men with obsidian bones, magma blood, obsidian skin over magma flesh that leaks out when pierced, giving off puffs of magma vapor, spitting globs of magma.  Oh yes.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #476 on: February 11, 2009, 01:09:06 pm »

I don't think it was mentioned before, but maybe it has, if so sorry.

Is there any word on any kind of cloth based armor or something similar?  What it sounds like so far is that hammers will be king. Because looking at the current armor selection it doesn't look like there's much protection available from any kind of significant blunt attacks.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #477 on: February 11, 2009, 01:16:37 pm »

Well, plate should be good protection against blunt attacks. Not perfect, but still pretty good. Of course, I don't think Toady is putting in any code to handle major dents in plate armor, which is the real threat from those attacks. Basically your armor gets bent in a way that makes it hard to breath, see, move, whatever. Not sure how the current weapon/armor changes are going to handle that.

You're right, though, there should be some sort of padded underarmor that soldiers wear to help protect against the blunt force of blows. Even a sword hit against chain mail that doesn't cut through will cause a lot of bruising or broken bones if you don't have enough padding underneath.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #478 on: February 11, 2009, 01:20:21 pm »

I don't think it was mentioned before, but maybe it has, if so sorry.

Is there any word on any kind of cloth based armor or something similar?  What it sounds like so far is that hammers will be king. Because looking at the current armor selection it doesn't look like there's much protection available from any kind of significant blunt attacks.

Well, plate should be good protection against blunt attacks. Not perfect, but still pretty good. Of course, I don't think Toady is putting in any code to handle major dents in plate armor, which is the real threat from those attacks. Basically your armor gets bent in a way that makes it hard to breath, see, move, whatever. Not sure how the current weapon/armor changes are going to handle that.

You're right, though, there should be some sort of padded underarmor that soldiers wear to help protect against the blunt force of blows. Even a sword hit against chain mail that doesn't cut through will cause a lot of bruising or broken bones if you don't have enough padding underneath.

Cloth padding is under discussion right now in Suggestions.

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #479 on: February 11, 2009, 02:29:38 pm »

I love the way that the various elemental, mythical and natural creatures get real distinct morphologies now.

*The following text is more a wishlist that continues this trend of more detailed simulation*

Hopefully the same will happen to plants and trees eventually: self seeding and creating natural copses.
(as well as imported plants escaping from fields and propagating if environment suffices)
creating a more dynamic flora scene than the now totally random scattering of subset-X plants/saplings.

will probably not happen untill "multi-tile trees" ect.

various new and rare ecologies (plant/creature sets) that no dwarf has ever seen, special ecologies for special subterranian hounts have been hinted at in any case.
(There must be stuff for the fauna to eat, unless they are magical manifestations offcourse, but that only holds true for say magmamen etc, not so much for batman or antpeople.)

additional semi-randomised plants/creatures might be cool.

Natural e-cologies are a pet favorite of mine. :) [/biosci]

Another suggestion that has little influence on gameplay:
(unless you count adventurers trying to walk off the map)
is the option to create worlds rather than 'quilt' regions that look like a part of a larger world, but act as a pocket universe.
I personally think 'civilization'(r) handled mapping a sphere to a rectangle quite adequately by using a toroid. (the mapgenerator scripts were pretty nifty too, though obviously less intricate than DF)

I'd love to hand-draw a map of a consistent world or seperate continents thereon.
[/cartophile mode]

-derailed much yet? :p
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 1065