Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 921 922 [923] 924 925 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3633899 times)

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #13830 on: March 11, 2010, 09:33:56 am »

Using the instant-butcher command from the arena, we had a skull from each severed head and five skulls from the eventual corpse.

Don't Hydras usually have seven heads? If so, where did the other two go?

Quote from: devlog
but I also had a human hack off a couple hydra heads with an adamantine short sword

Apparently, "a couple" means "two".

That is the usual definition of 'a couple'.

bombcar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13831 on: March 11, 2010, 09:57:11 am »

Using the instant-butcher command from the arena, we had a skull from each severed head and five skulls from the eventual corpse.

but I also had a human hack off a couple hydra heads with an adamantine short sword

No, they're just friends.

Lancensis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13832 on: March 11, 2010, 10:13:57 am »

No, they're just friends.

Yeah. It's a good idea to avoid inter-body romances. It's just awkward for everyhead.

DrMorbly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13833 on: March 11, 2010, 10:17:46 am »

So the implication is that you can always dig down far enough to hit magma. Is there a point, far enough down, that you would find nothing but endless magma, like reaching the planet's mantle?
Almost certainly not. Fundamental assumptions of the game's engine would have to change, and there's little benefit there.
Indeed, such an area would cause an instant cave-in.

Nah, there are still unmineable rock squares on the sides of the map that would hold up the rest of the world.

Although I'm assuming that those can't collapse haha.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2010, 10:37:18 am by DrMorbly »

wigwam

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a wigwam! I'm a teepee!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13834 on: March 11, 2010, 10:23:27 am »

I also fixed a bug where the arena slowly heated up to just above the boiling point of water slowly over time if you were controlling an individual creature

Actually, I think it would be awesome to have a time limit in the arena. Take too long killing your enemy? YOU GET BOILED, to please the crowd!

SirPenguin

• Bay Watcher
  • NEVER A DULL MOMENT IN MID-WORLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #13835 on: March 11, 2010, 10:45:25 am »

Oh wow, I'm surprised the hydra test was stamped out so quickly. Surprised and excited.

tfaal

• Bay Watcher
  • 'Ello, 'ello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13836 on: March 11, 2010, 10:47:58 am »

Actually, I think it would be awesome to have a time limit in the arena. Take too long killing your enemy? YOU GET BOILED, to please the crowd!
Continually rising water would also be a cool challenge, especially if you had multiple levels separated by spiral staircases. Rising magma, meanwhile, gives you the best of both worlds.
I still think that the whole fortress should be flooded with magma the moment you try dividing by zero.
This could be a handy way of teaching preschool children mathematics.

Orkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13837 on: March 11, 2010, 10:48:11 am »

Oh wow, I'm surprised the hydra test was stamped out so quickly. Surprised and excited.

Now if the rest were so fast..
Quote from: madjoe5
Dwarf Fortress: The game in which people place abducted children in a furnace to see what happens.

Totaku

• Bay Watcher
  • The little oni that strikes the earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #13838 on: March 11, 2010, 11:00:21 am »

I'm surprised this came that quick, but either way we still have a ways to go since there's still who knows how much bug testing left to do, plus the military interface (which I think falls in the "Handle a few misc. bug reports and minor interface requests that have arisen" of the final. Then there's still the testing of d40# which I'm still hoping will be included. (I need the png image function for sprites since I lack a decent paint program) And who knows what else will happen.

Whatever the case may be, the release is getting closer.. but when is unclear.. but as we all know, we can taste it as it's drawer ever so closer now...
« Last Edit: March 11, 2010, 11:03:20 am by Totaku »
That's one small step for man, one giant leap for Otakukind!

And maker of the mod in progress known as Suika Fortress Now for 0.34.xx!

Cousarr

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #13839 on: March 11, 2010, 11:35:56 am »

Continually rising water would also be a cool challenge, especially if you had multiple levels separated by spiral staircases. Rising magma, meanwhile, gives you the best of both worlds.

Continually rising water with carp being spawned on the map edge and I'm sold.

Zironic

• Bay Watcher
  • [SDRAW_KCAB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13840 on: March 11, 2010, 11:58:12 am »

I also fixed a bug where the arena slowly heated up to just above the boiling point of water slowly over time if you were controlling an individual creature -- it came from initializing a weather variable wrong in the fake 1x1 world that the arena inhabits.

This isn't a feature?

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13841 on: March 11, 2010, 12:19:02 pm »

So does this mean that the long string of miscellaneous bugfixing is over, or was this just a brief diversion.

Lots of bugs and issues left still.

So wait, does the hydra grow heads \s, or just survive decaps?

The latter.  Totally amputated body parts can't regenerate yet.

Question: If the Hydra heals more rapidly, then does this mean that modders will finally be able to adjust the rate that creatures heal to some extent, or is this hardcoded?

As we've known since December 2008, you can now adjust healing rates on the tissue level.

AbacusWizard

• Bay Watcher
  • Trust me; I'm a mathematician.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13842 on: March 11, 2010, 01:17:17 pm »

I dunno if this has been answered yet but here goes

In the testing arena we have the capacity to control creatures which we normally could not. Will we have the ability to use these creature's special attacks? Such as fire breath or blood sucking?
I would imagine arena controls are just adventure mode controls.

#monster

I have a suggestion for a small change that could be included at the last minute -

Make the game music toggleable in-game.  I love the music in the game, but if you're going to spend hours playing the game, being able to take a break from the music without restarting the game and editing data files could prevent people from going uh, stark raving mad. 

I used the word "game" way too much in this post. 
You could always just go to the settings and turn the music down to nothing. It's right there, in the Escape menu that you can reach from just about every screen.

What?! Don't be silly.
What was I thinking, doing things the easy way is just plain undwarven.

I suppose the dwarven solution would be to pump magma onto the *alder guitar*?

Yeah. It's a good idea to avoid inter-body romances. It's just awkward for everyhead.

Inter-body romances work fine; it's the intra-body romances that are awkward... especially when they end badly. Breaking up with your heart will break your heart.

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13843 on: March 11, 2010, 01:24:28 pm »

I have a suggestion for a small change that could be included at the last minute -

Make the game music toggleable in-game.  I love the music in the game, but if you're going to spend hours playing the game, being able to take a break from the music without restarting the game and editing data files could prevent people from going uh, stark raving mad. 

I used the word "game" way too much in this post. 
You could always just go to the settings and turn the music down to nothing. It's right there, in the Escape menu that you can reach from just about every screen.

What?! Don't be silly.
What was I thinking, doing things the easy way is just plain undwarven.

I suppose the dwarven solution would be to pump magma onto the *alder guitar*?
Don't be silly. The dwarven solution is to use the wooden guitar as a trap to lure elves, then pour magma on it.
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

RandomNumberGenerator

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13844 on: March 11, 2010, 01:30:19 pm »

That would be funny if on every embark, there was a dwarf with an alder guitar. If he dies, the music stops.
The end of the world is more fun then I expected.
Pages: 1 ... 921 922 [923] 924 925 ... 1065