Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 463 464 [465] 466 467 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3578517 times)

diefortheswarm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #6960 on: November 17, 2009, 07:21:29 pm »

Toady, in a recent interview, I heard you mention elephants would be dangerous again in the next version.  You said this was do to the advantage size gives a creature in then new combat system.  Would it be possible to have giant elephants?

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6961 on: November 17, 2009, 07:30:50 pm »

What we are trying to ask is whether or not Elves will send a Trade Liaison who we can order goods and exotic pets from.

It was clarified a bit later:

I don't think elves have trade nobles right now, but they might end up with them if they end up with the variable-position tag like humans there instead of nothing.  We haven't decided if that's being thrown in or not.

Toady, in a recent interview, I heard you mention elephants would be dangerous again in the next version.  You said this was do to the advantage size gives a creature in then new combat system.  Would it be possible to have giant elephants?

If you mean "would it be possible to mod giant elephants in," the answer is yes, definitely.

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6962 on: November 17, 2009, 07:45:23 pm »

What we are trying to ask is whether or not Elves will send a Trade Liaison who we can order goods and exotic pets from.

It was clarified a bit later:

I don't think elves have trade nobles right now, but they might end up with them if they end up with the variable-position tag like humans there instead of nothing.  We haven't decided if that's being thrown in or not.

If you mean "would it be possible to mod giant elephants in," the answer is yes, definitely.
You could make them bigger than the fuzzy lobster and snuffleupagus things we heard about, though I guess the second one is kind of already an elephant.
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

Mechanoid

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTELLIGENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6963 on: November 17, 2009, 07:53:14 pm »

Considering that teeth can be knocked out and thrown can those dwarf teeth that get knocked out be used as bones in crafts? For that matter, do elephants have actual "tusks" that can be harvested for their ivory and then used in crafts? (or used to gore a dwarves' teeth out of their mouth; subsequently being used in a decoration that depicts said loss of teeth)
« Last Edit: November 17, 2009, 07:56:23 pm by Mechanoid »
Quote from: Max White
"Have all the steel you want!", says Toady, "It won't save your ass this time!"

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6964 on: November 17, 2009, 08:12:01 pm »

Considering that teeth can be knocked out and thrown can those dwarf teeth that get knocked out be used as bones in crafts? For that matter, do elephants have actual "tusks" that can be harvested for their ivory and then used in crafts? (or used to gore a dwarves' teeth out of their mouth; subsequently being used in a decoration that depicts said loss of teeth)

This came up a (long) while back:

Quote from: Toady One
If it works we could even see them being allowed for different uses. Dragon fang/walrus tusk spears, anyone?

I guess this is an ideal time to strike a cautious note -- depending on what I have time for, workshops possibilities might not be expanded in certain ways initially.  For instance, bone is generally the realm of the craftsdwarf, but the craftshop doesn't do weapons aside from the sharpenable stone ones.  There are lots of different things to handle, so I could miss quite a bit (or not even attempt lots of them as I'm pressed for time for this release).  We can patch things up after that, but it's something to be aware of.  This goes for knocking out some gigantic tooth or horn and making floodgate out of it or whatever as well.  The new corpse piece would make it one step away from being the floodgate through an appropriate job, but those need to be added to the interface for you to get at them.  It probably is best done with some sort of complete reworking of how shops function and which jobs are available, which sticks me between instant and delayed gratification yet again.

Taal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6965 on: November 17, 2009, 08:35:35 pm »

Actually I rather like the idea for a random single/herd of/species of/megabeast/HFS creature thats simply an enormous version of a regular creature. 'Cause when the Giant FuzzyWamblers come to town you take notice!

EDIT: Perhaps a sphere effect..

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6966 on: November 17, 2009, 09:14:18 pm »

Actually I rather like the idea for a random single/herd of/species of/megabeast/HFS creature thats simply an enormous version of a regular creature. 'Cause when the Giant FuzzyWamblers come to town you take notice!

EDIT: Perhaps a sphere effect..
It would be trivial to just mod them in.

FatedTemp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6967 on: November 17, 2009, 09:48:02 pm »

Toady, I know you're pretty busy with the update, which is looking really good by the way, I'm very excited about it. But I was thinking about animal taming in the future and wondered would it ever be possible if:

Some animals that can't be tamed could have tameable offspring if they're raised in captivity? Maybe even having successive generations raise this way being easier to tame, though that would need a failure rate for animal training which I don't think it has, but it would make more use of the skill levels.

Perhaps then exotic creatures could be tameable by highly skilled animal trainers rather than just the Dungeon Master, but this would make the Dungeon Master less special and I'm not sure how you'd feel about that (I always assumed the DM was meant as a bit of a D&D joke but if it becomes a position then it might make more sense to make him just another dwarf/noble instead).

And if the other weapons types are now usable by soldiers then maybe whips could be used by animal trainers, possibly only used when training dangerous animals and with a chance of hurting the animal, but also the possibility of having the animal attack it's trainer. It might make training a bit more exciting.

Also, someone who's played more than me might know this: can you find wild versions of domesticated animals? I've seen wild dromedaries and I think musk oxen, which are used by traders, but what about wild horses, cows, dogs, cats and so on? And slightly related, is there any way to view a war dog's kills?

Sorry that went on, it was only supposed to be the first question, but then that led to the next thought and the next and … argh! This game just has too much potential for awesome.

Fieari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6968 on: November 17, 2009, 09:55:13 pm »

We have a suggestion forum...

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6969 on: November 17, 2009, 10:06:13 pm »

It depends on how their raws are structured. I think they need a specified biome in order to ever show up from map edges. Of the domestic animals only horses have that in 40d.
*been awhile since I messed around with raws so I don't recall exactly.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2009, 10:08:37 pm by Shoku »

Saber Cherry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6970 on: November 17, 2009, 11:56:46 pm »

Quote from: Thief^
Can we get a "percent chance" added to the [trAPAVOID] creature tag?

There are some annoyances with storing the known traps here, unless you want them to dodge and then get hit a second later by the same trap.  It's not a long job since the invaders already do it (at least through diplomacy, not personal experience so much), but I don't want to get caught up before this release for another few hours testing it out (especially if I screw it up the first time).

How about...  marking the trap itself as avoided for a set period of time, rendering it temporarily disarmed (for any possible interloper).  This circumvents complicated bookkeeping and even retains a degree of realism.  And it's easy.

In other words, when a trap is encountered, a creature has an X% chance of disarming it for Y ticks, and a 1-X% chance of triggering it instead.  No knowledge needs to be stored or propagated.  The value of "Y" could be very low for something like a marmot (which might simply avoid a trap by virtue of being small, and thus could easily be ensnared by the same trap it just bypassed) and high for something like a kobold thief (who might spot a trap and disable it or at least spread word).
« Last Edit: November 18, 2009, 12:08:34 am by Saber Cherry »

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6971 on: November 18, 2009, 12:04:31 am »

What we really need are specially desginated 'Rogue' types that sneak in ahead of the main force and disarm traps and levers.

With the exception of Cage Traps, Traps should also be substantially less overpowered in the next version, due to the material stuff making weapons less rediculously lethal.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6972 on: November 18, 2009, 12:43:31 am »

What we really need are specially desginated 'Rogue' types that sneak in ahead of the main force

You mean like Scouts or Rangers?

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6973 on: November 18, 2009, 12:57:03 am »

What we really need are specially desginated 'Rogue' types that sneak in ahead of the main force

I was thinking more like maybe Goblins could send in Thieves or Master Thieves with their ambushes and sieges, and that said Thieves and Master Thieves disarmed traps and levers, and unlocked doors and soforth, letting the enemy forces in.

That would make more sense than forces arbitrarily being immune to traps.

Protactinium

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAN_SALT:CHILD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6974 on: November 18, 2009, 01:25:27 am »

I was thinking more like maybe Goblins could send in Thieves or Master Thieves with their ambushes and sieges, and that said Thieves and Master Thieves disarmed traps and levers, and unlocked doors and soforth, letting the enemy forces in.

That would make more sense than forces arbitrarily being immune to traps.

I'd honestly rather see most traps go or fundamentally change, and that actual in-game traps relied on 2 things:

1) Lever/Pressure Plate
2) Our Creativity
The thing that confuses me about dorfs is this. Dorf 1 dies in an avalance or somesuch. Dorf 2 is friends with dorf 3 and dorf 1. Dorf 2 berserks because of his friends death and kills dorf 3. also a friend. W. T. F.
Clearly you've never been drunk.
Pages: 1 ... 463 464 [465] 466 467 ... 1065