Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 877 878 [879] 880 881 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3631579 times)

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #13170 on: February 25, 2010, 10:56:57 pm »

I am stating that no works entitled Avatar had blue catgirls in them.

Fairly well-known recent movie, directed by James Cameron, notable for having a shoddy plot but being popular despite this due to its epic CGI. Sorta the polar opposite of Dwarf Fortress, come to think of it.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

madman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13171 on: February 25, 2010, 10:58:52 pm »

I'm not sure if I should take this bait.. but I think XML is definitely the better path to take for this particular scenario. JSON is lightweight, sure, but it's lacking some of the better toolsets that XML has like XPath and XSLT that really would help make sense of Legends data.
Having experience with both, I'd have to agree. The main advantages of JSON are that it lightweight and slightly more human readable, and those advantages doesn't really apply given that the purpose is to be able to convert it from there to other formats.

Edit: and I don't see that it needs to go into this release - this doesn't break any save compatibility (does it?), so it can go in later.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2010, 11:02:40 pm by madman »
Quote from: bluea
Compilers are Dwarves with the beards abstracted away.
They can pull completely amazing maneuvers, yet manage to die of thirst in the river.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #13172 on: February 25, 2010, 11:05:48 pm »

As far as I'm concern, when you say Avatar, it means The Last Airbender.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13173 on: February 25, 2010, 11:11:44 pm »

Which is what I thought when Sean, back a couple pages, said about toph from the last airbender.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2010, 11:16:27 pm by smjjames »

Nivim

• Bay Watcher
  • Has the asylum forgotten? Are they still the same?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13174 on: February 25, 2010, 11:21:06 pm »

It would be nice if other dominant senses (like Toph's hearing and feeling) were specified instead of being covered by [EXTRAVISION].
Imagine a cool peice of sky-blue and milk-white marble about 3cm by 2cm and by 0.5cm, containing a tiny 2mm malacolite crystal. Now imagine the miles of metamorphic rock it's embedded in that no pick or chisel will ever touch. Then, imagine that those miles will melt back into their mantle long before any telescope even refracts an image of their planet. The watchers will be so excited to have that image too.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13175 on: February 25, 2010, 11:23:58 pm »

Fairly well-known recent movie, directed by James Cameron, notable for having a shoddy plot but being popular despite this due to its epic CGI. Sorta the polar opposite of Dwarf Fortress, come to think of it.
I'm including that one.
Known as Avatar: The Legend of Aang in the UK for reasons related to slang.

Not that they change any of the in-series terms.

got appropriate wilderness creatures to enter the map from liquid/air edges properly,
Oh good, sounds like skeagles and skwhales will get their dues now, if they're not totally shatterable.

Something odd I've thought is, a thrust is likely to do no damage to a skeleton, since it'll strike and slip past. I wonder if skeletons will be as fearsome as usual this version.
It would be nice if other dominant senses (like Toph's hearing and feeling) were specified instead of being covered by [EXTRAVISION].
Most definitely. [SONAR]
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13176 on: February 25, 2010, 11:35:35 pm »

I think some Footkerchief appreciation is in order.

Spoiler: image (click to show/hide)

Haha, thanks, I think.  What's the original from?

My current understanding is this:
1) All children of a species have a chance to be of any caste of that species.
2) This chance is invariant on parents (parent's caste does not influence chances)
3) Colour, markings, etc are caste tags.

1) Correct
2) Correct
3) Color and markings, like all other body info, can be applied either to a caste or to the creature as a whole.

What precisely can we do with inheritance and selective breeding?
Will children not be more or less random members of the species, not even (necessarily) of the caste of their parents?

I may just be confused.

An example, say I want only black panthers. I start with a random sample of panthers, at least one of which is black. I discard all non-black offspring, and mate the remainder. If I continue this indefinitely, will I end up with black panthers which only (barring vanishingly small chances) produce black panther children?  (substitute blackness with large size as another example)

Jaguar/panther coloration came up a while ago in this thread -- it's not done via extra castes.  Check the dwarf raws, specifically the parts at the bottom with TL_COLOR_MODIFIER: "A color modifier takes a list of color patterns (every color is associated to a monotone color pattern of its color, so you can also use color tokens) and frequencies."

Since you can specify frequencies, you don't need extra castes to make some color patterns more common than others -- that'd be overkill.  The only advantage of using extra castes (in this case) would be that you could give them the proper name of "black panther" (as it stands, they're just labeled as "jaguar").

It's unclear exactly how the game assigns dominant/recessive alleles to the color variations, but yes, colors are inherited.  So given enough time, the black panther breeding should work out, although they might also be small or pop-eyed or long-bodied as a result of inbreeding.

black panthers are a made as a caste of panthers, and castes are random, you can state a chance for it to happen on the raws, though, but the parents have no influence on the offspring, here.

hair color, skin color and eye color are different, though, these are actual genetics, and supposedlly are inerited from parents, even during worldgen history.

As explained above, this is incorrect -- black panthers are not a separate caste of jaguars, just a color variation, and that coloration has genetic factors just like all the other color/appearance modifiers.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2010, 11:51:48 pm by Footkerchief »

Qloos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13177 on: February 25, 2010, 11:56:50 pm »

Haha, thanks, I think.  What's the original from?

Paint Shop Pro 9

LoneJedi7

• Bay Watcher
  • The CaKE is A LIE
    • View Profile
« Reply #13178 on: February 25, 2010, 11:59:01 pm »

Im wondering if "liquid fire" is going to have any uses in the next version?
ℍ!Ξ[/[Θ]![ℍ∑▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀)

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13179 on: February 26, 2010, 12:22:57 am »

Questions on genetics, inheritance, and castes.

My current understanding is this:
1) All children of a species have a chance to be of any caste of that species.
2) This chance is invariant on parents (parent's caste does not influence chances)
3) Colour, markings, etc are caste tags.

What precisely can we do with inheritance and selective breeding?
Will children not be more or less random members of the species, not even (necessarily) of the caste of their parents?

I may just be confused.

An example, say I want only black panthers. I start with a random sample of panthers, at least one of which is black. I discard all non-black offspring, and mate the remainder. If I continue this indefinitely, will I end up with black panthers which only (barring vanishingly small chances) produce black panther children?  (substitute blackness with large size as another example)
There are castes and then there are traits. I'll talk about dwarves instead to make it easier.

Dwarven noses range from big to small (for dwarves) and big nose is obviously not a separate caste from small nose. If you take all big nose dwarves and mate them their babies should have big noses.

Castes are for different body plans. Ants make the one use for it obvious but normally everything is going to have a male and female caste so it works like gender too. You can use it for other stuff but you don't need to to have variation in size and color and such.

Or you can have the girls have all the interesting hair colors and only give males black hair. There are a lot of options.
Hm... I'm curious:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Calcified.

I suddenly remembered Toph from Avatar. No, not the one with blue catgirls.
No Avatars had blue catgirls.
Actually, there was no "s" on the end.
I am stating that no works entitled Avatar had blue catgirls in them. The S is non-italicized, so take it as plural of Avatar.

edit: JSON is more distant from HTML, as well.
I say we start an adventurer who is a blue cat-"girl" robot that is into cigars and hookers and such and has psychic elemental type powers of a martial arts flavor already.
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

Belteshazzar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13180 on: February 26, 2010, 12:58:22 am »

I suddenly remembered Toph from Avatar. No, not the one with blue catgirls.
No Avatars had blue catgirls.
Actually, there was no "s" on the end.
I am stating that no works entitled Avatar had blue catgirls in them. The S is non-italicized, so take it as plural of Avatar.

edit: JSON is more distant from HTML, as well.
I say we start an adventurer who is a blue cat-"girl" robot that is into cigars and hookers and such and has psychic elemental type powers of a martial arts flavor already.

Don't forget the Blackjack...
In the year 570, Kjerdregus occurred.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #13181 on: February 26, 2010, 01:05:46 am »

She doesn't have extravision, she uses tremor-sense. An old staple.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Dante

• Bay Watcher
  • Dante likes cats for their corrupt intentions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13182 on: February 26, 2010, 02:42:33 am »

With all this talk about castes, I have to wonder, will it be possible to dynamically alter the ratio of castes of wildlife/invaders coming to your fortress? Or is that fixed in worldgen?

What I mean is, most of the siegers (other than local leaders etc) are currently randomly generated. And altering the raws of creatures changes them 'on the fly'. So will it be possible to mod in castes of goblin that are much larger, tougher and rarer, and then progressively alter the caste ratio in the raws to make the tougher ones more and more common as your fortress progresses (to provide a challenge)?

sproingie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13183 on: February 26, 2010, 03:19:20 am »

Quote from: devlog
fixed some of the legends text export information (still unclear whether that's going to be replaced/augmented by xml)...
JSON looks nicer than XML, and there are libraries for reading and writing it in almost every language.

Strike 1: JSON has no comment syntax

Strike 2: sexp syndrome.  tell me in three seconds or less whether these "tags" are balanced.  Now tell me before I reach the last closing bracket.

{'a' : {'b' : 1, {'c' : {'d' : 1 }, {'e', 2}, 'f' : 3}}, {'g' : 5}}}

Toady is the man who Peter Molyneux wishes he was

Quote from: ToadyOne
dragon pus was like creamy gold. Infect and collect!

Kilo24

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13184 on: February 26, 2010, 03:31:32 am »

Gather 'round, boys and girls - it's Nitpick Corner again!

Dwarf Fortress is (semi-)popular due to technical innovation as well (and has far more lacking plots, probably they'll even be poor at its peak.)   The main difference is that 10 years later, Dwarf Fortress's innovations won't be rendered obsolete by better computers.

To put it in a way my trivial complaints would be silenced, Avatar's innovations were pretty much everything cosmetic.  Dwarf Fortress's innovations are pretty much everything not cosmetic.
Pages: 1 ... 877 878 [879] 880 881 ... 1065