Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 792 793 [794] 795 796 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3578493 times)

CaptApollo12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #11895 on: February 04, 2010, 07:14:07 pm »

Even if corpses are allowed to have a kill count, it would be hard to do this, in all seriousness.  I believe you have to have a ton of experience with the weapon to name it.  Here's the question then:  Can we assign ANYTHING, including non-weapons to be a weapon for our military?

I'm envisioning teaching my dwarves the art of cage fighting:  They carry around a cage and fight with it; it's a very popular dwarven pastime.  Urist's cage has a titan in it.  He has named it "Cagey the Caged Titan of Many Winds," because he feeds the titan cheese.

Oh, geez, I'm afraid I've really crossed a line here.  Sorry guys.

Bringing up a very good point. But from a programming perspective I think after every death there will be a cause determined. If this cause is a item then the item is duplicated and is repleaced by the semi-artifact weapon that it has become due to the conditions being met that it has slain a living being(or done something of significant note). It does not need to be renamed the first time a minor death or condition be met. But the info should be stored for when it kills another 50 Orcs that will come next fall.

"This sword is named 'Kingkiller'. 'Kingkiller' decapitated Olin Evilking after he was shot through by 'Flymug' a crystal Mug. 'Kingkiller' Menaces with spikes of Ruby, and is still stained with the blood Olin Evilking.

EDIT: I do believe im offtopic... Srry
« Last Edit: February 04, 2010, 07:16:18 pm by CaptApollo12 »
"MONTARON!  You are so AGGRAVATING!   'Tis disturbing to my demeanor..."

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11896 on: February 04, 2010, 07:17:44 pm »

I'm personally tickled by the prospect of beating armies to death with the cages containing their earlier soldiers as prisoners.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Rainseeker

• Bay Watcher
  • Listening to Toady make trumpet sounds since 2009!
    • View Profile
    • Rattown Stories
« Reply #11897 on: February 04, 2010, 07:30:13 pm »

I'm personally tickled by the prospect of beating armies to death with the cages containing their earlier soldiers as prisoners.

Exactly!  They're all, "Sorry!  Ooooh, sorry about that!  Sorry!  My condolences to your widow!"
Rainseeker writes comics!  http://rattownstories.com

Also, forum profile for said comic:  http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=78817.0

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11898 on: February 04, 2010, 08:27:23 pm »

Will corpses act as containers in this release, or will the dead still drop all their equipment?

Guessing no.  They do get appearance/wound info transferred from the creature (although it's unclear whether you can view it), and of course butchering works differently now, but I think that's all there's been for corpse upgrades.  It's #30 on Eternal Suggestion Voting though, in case you hadn't voted for it yet ("Corpses should be containers").

Can we assign ANYTHING, including non-weapons to be a weapon for our military?

Guessing no again.  That would be weird enough that he'd have mentioned it.

There's a lot of Assyrian-style stuff in world gen that might get realized during actual play, but there are also a lot of things that are not going in.
Assyrian-style?

The Assyrians had a reputation for being mean.  The worldgen thing where people get flayed and their skin nailed to a tree or whatever is straight out of their repertoire.  That said, I doubt any of that was unique to them -- I think they got focused on because they were longstanding enemies of the people who wrote the Old Testament.  Threetoe knows much more about this stuff, I think.

Here's something I came across while reading about the practice of flaying.  Apparently the "gruesome sculptures" in worldgen have historical precedent, but they also start to stink after a while, so they packed the rotting skins in containers to keep the odor sealed up.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2010, 08:55:47 pm by Footkerchief »

PermanentInk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11899 on: February 04, 2010, 09:29:29 pm »

Not unless it was a Masterwork Baby.

I don't wanna ask how you train up the appropriate skill for that one...

Zared

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11900 on: February 04, 2010, 09:35:10 pm »

Not unless it was a Masterwork Baby.

I don't wanna ask how you train up the appropriate skill for that one...

Best.  Crosstraining.  Ever.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #11901 on: February 04, 2010, 09:37:09 pm »

Makes you feel sorry for the *baby* and the -baby-, though.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Walliard

• Bay Watcher
  • On Break
    • View Profile
« Reply #11902 on: February 04, 2010, 09:42:51 pm »

Makes you feel sorry for the *baby* and the -baby-, though.

To say nothing of when shoddy-quality items get introduced.
Toady, how much of DF is inspired by Labyrinth? Is Armok actually David Bowie? Because that would simultaneously be disturbing and awesome.

Rainseeker

• Bay Watcher
  • Listening to Toady make trumpet sounds since 2009!
    • View Profile
    • Rattown Stories
« Reply #11903 on: February 04, 2010, 09:46:59 pm »

Urist:  "Ach!  This baby is no good.  Time to make another baby with meh custom workshop!"

Edit:  It requires a *bed* as one of the components, or alternately a jacuzzi.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2010, 09:48:55 pm by Rainseeker »
Rainseeker writes comics!  http://rattownstories.com

Also, forum profile for said comic:  http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=78817.0

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #11904 on: February 04, 2010, 09:47:50 pm »

What is an artifact baby like?

sproingie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11905 on: February 04, 2010, 09:56:38 pm »

It menaces with spikes of cuddliness.
Toady is the man who Peter Molyneux wishes he was

Quote from: ToadyOne
dragon pus was like creamy gold. Infect and collect!

diefortheswarm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11906 on: February 04, 2010, 10:00:47 pm »

What is an artifact baby like?

It's what you get when a mommy and daddy Dwarf both have a strange mood at the same time.  They gather all sorts of strange implements of love from all across the fortress.  Then they lock themselves in a secluded spot and 9 months later you have an artifact baby.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11907 on: February 04, 2010, 10:09:51 pm »

The better question is, what happens if the baby gets a strange mood?
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11908 on: February 04, 2010, 10:23:22 pm »

The artifact baby creating an artifact item would probably cause an overflow for the item's value, causing a money black hole that sucks away all the value of all the items in your fortress until you end up with nothing but _meat, _mugs and the entire world turns into valueless _stone that boils at 0 degrees Urist, causing the planet to disperse into a cloud of valueless freezing gas that quickly dissipates into space.

Or just cause the game to crash.  One of the two.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2010, 10:25:51 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11909 on: February 04, 2010, 10:28:39 pm »

There's a lot of Assyrian-style stuff in world gen that might get realized during actual play, but there are also a lot of things that are not going in.
Assyrian-style?

The Assyrians had a reputation for being mean.  The worldgen thing where people get flayed and their skin nailed to a tree or whatever is straight out of their repertoire.  That said, I doubt any of that was unique to them -- I think they got focused on because they were longstanding enemies of the people who wrote the Old Testament.  Threetoe knows much more about this stuff, I think.

Here's something I came across while reading about the practice of flaying.  Apparently the "gruesome sculptures" in worldgen have historical precedent, but they also start to stink after a while, so they packed the rotting skins in containers to keep the odor sealed up.
ah, hmm. (Nineveh's the one I remember, btw. there're like 4-5 capitals at different times...)
« Last Edit: February 04, 2010, 10:37:59 pm by CobaltKobold »
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets
Pages: 1 ... 792 793 [794] 795 796 ... 1065