Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 791 792 [793] 794 795 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3575617 times)

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #11880 on: February 04, 2010, 04:19:06 pm »

What if you had a creature that coated victims with a huge amount of contact poison? Could that not then spread from dwarf to dwarf?

Haha, interesting approach.  Yeah, you could make a creature that spits globs of poisonous vomit, but the dwarves would still have to touch each other, which probably only happens via sparring.

Although... there are three special materials whose release can be triggered by poison: blood, vomit and pus.  So you could make one of those poisonous to serve as a disease vector.  Pus seems like the natural choice, and you can even make it a gas instead of the default liquid.  So, give your dwarves a gaseous pus that causes necrosis/oozing in anyone nearby, and you'll have a contagious disease.  It still won't be quite right for zombies, though, since any infected wound (whether caused by a zombie or not) could cause an outbreak of zombie plague.

Footkerchief, when a legendary cat corpse rots/burns, are the bones still legendary?

My guess is no -- the legendariness is tied to the corpse item specifically, not to the deceased cat's material ID.

Interestingly, a legendary cat corpse can't be truly destroyed, due to some weirdness that named items share with artifacts.  I think that means either that a) it'd rot/burn forever and never disappear, or b) it'd do some kind of sick phoenix thing where a fresh corpse rises out of the ashes.  Does anyone know what currently happens to burning artifacts?

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11881 on: February 04, 2010, 04:22:44 pm »

it would be funny if a dwarf throws a cat at something and kills it, and the cat gains legendary status as a result.

Yeah, although as it stands now, it would have to be a cat corpse (I think you already know that, I'm just saying it for the benefit of other readers).

Bomrek "You can't swing a dead cat in here without hitting a Named Item!"
Morul "well duh, the dead cat is a named object!item!"

naming will preserve the object throughout the histories by name forever. There are a few side effects I didn't get a chance to handle -- a named item cannot be truly destroyed for instance.

This... this could be fun. Too bad there's no "one-per-world-volcano" into which artifacts could be dropped and truly be destroyed. But going back to the cat: would the corpse reappear rotten or butcherable?
 I can just imagine generations of  carnivorous adventurers all going through the same ritual Eating of Curlywhiskers the Unstoppable Projectile as part of their coming-of-age.

Or even better, thrown booze! "This here's the drink that killed the last of the Titans! Generations of warriors have drained it dry, and yet it still appears for true Warriors."

[EDIT:] since I heard that projectile damage is changed for this release, I got to thinking: water. ice! Does this mean that we can have Legendary Snowballs? (well, ice-balls, I suppose) I can see that causing horrendous glitchiness, but having and Eternal Icecube in my booze would be damned cool, I must admit.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2010, 04:27:22 pm by Flaede »
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Reese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11882 on: February 04, 2010, 04:34:03 pm »

I was reading the melting wiki page, and a thought occurred to me.

At the moment, the melt reaction melts an item and rounds up to 1/10 of a bar at the smelter used.  Currently, you can melt a single metal bolt to get 1/10 of a bar (where a stack of 25 normally gets you 3/10 of a bar) unless the return from melting has been tweaked with the new workshop and material systems

The wiki suggests that this can be used to create metal, except there's little to no way for the player to consistently break down a stack of bolts in to singles for melting.

However! with the new military system, it should be possible to designate metal bolts for archery training, and there's another bug that allows you to preserve fired bolts that miss their target by dropping them a Z-level.

The new system allowing metal bolts to be used for training means that the melt rounding up to 1/10 and bolts not being destroyed bug can come together for easy splitting of metal bolt stacks.  Do you plan to address either of these at this time, or are they going to have to wait for the balance pass?
All glory to the Hypno-Toady!

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11883 on: February 04, 2010, 04:43:07 pm »

I thought you could already change settings to have metal bolts allowed for training.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11884 on: February 04, 2010, 04:47:58 pm »

I thought you could already change settings to have metal bolts allowed for training.

Nope.  Anyway, that falling-metal-bolts thing, even if it works, would hardly be the worst exploit in the game.

diefortheswarm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11885 on: February 04, 2010, 04:49:17 pm »

Could we make adamantite bolts and melt the individual blots down?

Rainseeker

• Bay Watcher
  • Listening to Toady make trumpet sounds since 2009!
    • View Profile
    • Rattown Stories
« Reply #11886 on: February 04, 2010, 04:57:09 pm »

"One of Zach's dwarves grew attached to his trousers"... Now there is a story right there for the next Dorf Shorts...

I'll have to think about this one!   :D
Rainseeker writes comics!  http://rattownstories.com

Also, forum profile for said comic:  http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=78817.0

alfie275

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11887 on: February 04, 2010, 05:39:05 pm »

So, you could use an elf corpse to kill stuff until it is named then set it alight and it will burn forever?
I do LP of videogames!
See here:
http://www.youtube.com/user/MrAlfie275

Rainseeker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Rattown Stories
« Reply #11888 on: February 04, 2010, 05:51:54 pm »

So, you could use an elf corpse to kill stuff until it is named then set it alight and it will burn forever?

Urist McCorpseuser:  "I shall name thee, 'Burney, the endlessly burning and smelly elf corpse!'  Together we shall slay small woodland creatures!  Squirrels and bunnies everywhere, PREPARE FOR YOUR DOOOOOM!"

LATER...

Urist McCorpseuser:  "Come back here, you woodland creatures!  Ow, this thing stings a little...  Great, now Pantsy McPantsersons the Pants are on fire too!  Pantsy, NOOOOOO!!!  Ach.  This was a bad idea.  Foresight, how I hate how you evade my Dwarven mind!  Hindsight is too painful a teacher!  OW!  Fire, you cruel mistress!!!"

(Rant continues on...)

Also, forum profile for said comic:  http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=78817.0

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11889 on: February 04, 2010, 05:58:00 pm »

Armor deflection roll has *3 roll modifier instead of the masterwork's *2.
Same for melee attack and archery rolls.
Finally the mystery is solved!

There's a lot of Assyrian-style stuff in world gen that might get realized during actual play, but there are also a lot of things that are not going in.
Assyrian-style?
From my quick reading, a small layer_permit would be bad.

Huh, yeah, you're right.  I don't get why masks would have a LAYER_PERMIT that's smaller than their LAYER_SIZE,
Permit is how much you can have under it, size is how big it is. Different variables. Presumably like that so you don't get Maskx2 worn, which would be odd/make it so you'd always make masks in pairs. (Not sure if you could actually get fort-moders to wear2 though)
1.  Will dwarves still use coffins for invading dead dwarves?  Honestly I'm a little tired of my coffin space being used for enemy dwarves who sided with goblins in attacks on my fortress.  Seriously - dwarven led goblin raids?  Why do they get a respectable burial?  Love thy enemies doesn't apply to dwarves.

This will probably be the same in the next version, yes.  If it bothers you, it's pretty easy to forbid the corpses (you can even auto-forbid them via the orders menu).
Even if you let one of your corpses rot, marking a coffin for burial will make it 'occupied by' (dedicated to) the oldest unhoused dead thing, corpse/bones or no. So I don't think this'll matter much for their problem.

Bug probably caused by them being dwarves (you'll bury dwarven caravan guards) and/or lingering attachment if they were abducted from your fort.
Does there exist yet a way to "draw" with a particular type of building (constructions, doors, floodgates, etc) using a palette on the right panel to select which item you're going to draw with? Maybe even making a bit more use of the mouse to select things?
To the suggestions forum with you! This sounds useful, but it'll be a while.

*gets beaten to punch a few times by FKC*
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

apophisjon

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11890 on: February 04, 2010, 06:04:41 pm »

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
THE RELEASE IS GO CLOSE! I CAN ALMOST SEE THE DWARVEN AWESOMENESS SKITTERING ABOUT THE SCREEN!! I JUST MAY...

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #11891 on: February 04, 2010, 06:11:40 pm »

Did a quick look, but I couldn't find anything.

Will corpses act as containers in this release, or will the dead still drop all their equipment?
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Lofn

• Bay Watcher
  • There was a hole.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #11892 on: February 04, 2010, 06:22:07 pm »

If a tantruming dwarf throws her baby at somone and kills them, will you get a legendary baby/baby corpse?  Will the parent suffer the art defacement bad thought if they die?
Also known as Zuhayr.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #11893 on: February 04, 2010, 06:26:44 pm »

Not unless it was a Masterwork Baby.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Rainseeker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Rattown Stories
« Reply #11894 on: February 04, 2010, 06:36:09 pm »

Even if corpses are allowed to have a kill count, it would be hard to do this, in all seriousness.  I believe you have to have a ton of experience with the weapon to name it.  Here's the question then:  Can we assign ANYTHING, including non-weapons to be a weapon for our military?

I'm envisioning teaching my dwarves the art of cage fighting:  They carry around a cage and fight with it; it's a very popular dwarven pastime.  Urist's cage has a titan in it.  He has named it "Cagey the Caged Titan of Many Winds," because he feeds the titan cheese.

Oh, geez, I'm afraid I've really crossed a line here.  Sorry guys.

Pages: 1 ... 791 792 [793] 794 795 ... 1065