Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 790 791 [792] 793 794 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3575383 times)

Toady Two

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAN_SCIENCE]
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #11865 on: February 04, 2010, 01:51:15 pm »

Who else would sign a petition to keep the trousers bug and have dwarves grow attaches to their clothes?

Think about it! Pants being mentioned in legends and..., oh the engravings!

Question:
Considering the often original implementation of item as weapons in adventure mode(example: Guard wrestles your loincloth off and strangles you to death with it.) Will it be possible for these improvised weapons to gain mention in Legends and are you prepared for such a situation? (With appropriate engraving texts) Is there any sort of limitations as to what kinds of weapons npcs and the player grow attached to? It would be cool if mundane and seemingly harmless items gain artifact qualities through such one-in-a-million situations.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2010, 02:01:53 pm by Toady Two »

Comcastic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11866 on: February 04, 2010, 01:56:24 pm »

Are we going to be able to mod zombies/ zombie diseases in the new version?
« Last Edit: February 04, 2010, 02:32:40 pm by Comcastic »

Noble Digger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11867 on: February 04, 2010, 02:15:29 pm »

Does there exist yet a way to "draw" with a particular type of building (constructions, doors, floodgates, etc) using a palette on the right panel to select which item you're going to draw with? Maybe even making a bit more use of the mouse to select things?

My complaint is that currently you have to select the item you want to place, place it, wait for the list of items to repopulate, place it, and repeat. Often many many hundreds of times, often whilst dodging items you don't want to place (while the ones you do are on the third or fifth page of items)

In furnishing a whole series of dwarven bedrooms you're going B, B, enter, plusplusplusplusplus, enter, D, enter, etc etc etc, H, enter, F, enter, etc etc etc. I would like much better if I could paint with Tower-Cap Beds as long as I have some remaining and accessible to place when I click a location.

This would make mega-constructions a TON easier to do as well, although the onus is still on the player to get placement order correct to avoid making some placements collapse or become inaccessible inaccessible. But yeah, having to go through the 'B'uild menu and list population for every item placement is a real drag. I kind of assumed that this issue was improved for this release already, but I don't think it is.

"Paint with building type" --press Ctrl-B
"Select a building" --press Shift-C, W
"Select a material" --plusplusplusplusplusplus ENTER ("basalt!")
"Draw to place! (999999 remaining)"

Using the constructions tool allows placement of up to 10 walls on a line at once, but you still have to press plusplusplusplusplusplus to get the placement selector expanded to size 10. All of this stuff really needs a reduction in the number of actions necessary to place 2500+ buildings, as we have to do this in nearly every single fort and the macro system doesn't improve on this well enough, due to the large lag of populating the building selection list.
quib·ble
1. To evade the truth or importance of an issue by raising trivial distinctions and objections.
2. To find fault or criticize for petty reasons; cavil.

Quatch

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_ GRADSTUDENT]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch? Sometimes..
« Reply #11868 on: February 04, 2010, 02:21:21 pm »

Oh, and I can think of one way to make silver rather toxic to werewolves right away:

1. Melt it.
2. Pour on werewolf.

Awesome and dwarfly (which sounds weird. Dwarvenly looks better.), but there is some (non-poisonous) problems with silver. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argyria: "Argyria is generally believed to be irreversible, with the only practical method of minimizing its cosmetic disfigurement being to avoid the sun"

yep, all dwarves apparently have this already. Cave adaptation as a severe form of Argyria!
SAVE THE PHILOSOPHER!
>>KillerClowns: It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarven science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".
>>Orius: I plan my forts with some degree of paranoia.  It's kept me somewhat safe.

diefortheswarm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11869 on: February 04, 2010, 02:21:57 pm »

Questions About Trading:

1.  In the new release, will the dead trade liaisons be replaced?  This has probably already been answered.

2.  Will we have any more control then we do now over what quantity of certain items the caravans bring?  For example could we request that next caravan bring nothing but steel bars and actually get nothing but steel bars?

3.  Will we have access to items that used to be inaccessible via trading like glass and sand?

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #11870 on: February 04, 2010, 02:37:44 pm »

Quote from: Heph
can NPC form a link to other stuff they own? And what will it do if you try to trade this thing away. Like say buying a beloved family treasure from a guy because otherwise he would starve to death. This things wouldnt even be so detailed then the weapons to get some fluff.

You can't trade owned items in general if I remember.  Military equipment isn't owned though, so that stuff can be traded.  I don't think they care at this point.  There are a lot of cases like that.  One of the things I promised to do for somebody at some point was dealing with some of this.  I'm not sure where that split will be for this release.

Hmmm in retrospect i too vote for keeping the pants-bug for a while as "Placeholder".
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Skid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11871 on: February 04, 2010, 02:40:06 pm »

Questions About Trading:
2.  Will we have any more control then we do now over what quantity of certain items the caravans bring?  For example could we request that next caravan bring nothing but steel bars and actually get nothing but steel bars?
This seems rather unreasonable, you're not the only fort on the caravan's trade route you know.
Playing a cheesemaker in an average Fortress 'round here would be. Freaking. Terrifying.

diefortheswarm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11872 on: February 04, 2010, 02:52:37 pm »

Questions About Trading:
This seems rather unreasonable, you're not the only fort on the caravan's trade route you know.

Once you become the mountain homes it is suddenly a lot more reasonable.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11873 on: February 04, 2010, 03:12:45 pm »

Considering the often original implementation of item as weapons in adventure mode(example: Guard wrestles your loincloth off and strangles you to death with it.) Will it be possible for these improvised weapons to gain mention in Legends and are you prepared for such a situation? (With appropriate engraving texts)

Yes, that's in.  As described in the dev log, any item can gain historical status if used to kill.  Even severed body parts:

Quote from: Quatch
If you wrestle something to death (or kick), do your graspers record the kill? and upon death or severing..

Ha ha, nah.  But if you sever your own hand and kill somebody with it, it will.

Is there any sort of limitations as to what kinds of weapons npcs and the player grow attached to? It would be cool if mundane and seemingly harmless items gain artifact qualities through such one-in-a-million situations.

A couple issues here: if by "the player" you mean an adventurer, they don't get attached.  For NPCs, the dev log doesn't mention any limitations on the weapon type, although a preexisting personal preference makes it more likely.  Also, even if a dwarf gets attached to a weapon and then names it (note that these are separate steps), the weapon doesn't gain "artifact qualities" per se, it just gets a name and historical status (and can't be destroyed, though that's not really intentional).

Not really.  Diseases currently require the creature to touch, inhale, or get injected with a material.  Creatures can also exhale, secrete and inject disease-causing materials, but there's no way to link the onset of those "abilities" with the creature getting the disease itself.  In other words, you can't do contagion.  The best you can do (AFAIK) is give dwarves a weird ITEMCORPSE that produces a puff of disease gas when they die.

Does there exist yet a way to "draw" with a particular type of building (constructions, doors, floodgates, etc) using a palette on the right panel to select which item you're going to draw with? Maybe even making a bit more use of the mouse to select things?

Not unless this is one of the lucky few interface requests that Toady privately committed to.

1.  In the new release, will the dead trade liaisons be replaced?  This has probably already been answered.

Yes:

Quote from: Mephansteras
Will diplomats that die in fort mode get replacements now?
Quote from: Footkerchief
I'm guessing that since there hasn't been any further mention of that placeholder, we won't see it this time around.
Quote from: smjjames
What I would want and likely everybody else, is to have the liason at least be replaced somehow because they are far more important than the monarch, at least on a trade basis.

Succession itself is something to be handled for later, but the placeholder for this particular issue is in the very short list of actual promises made to specific people for this release, so you'll have your liaison if it can't pull a historical one, POOF generated from scratch.  The actual succession stuff is slated for after we have critters running around the world map during play, when diplomacy should be more fluid, so generation should just fade out for the real replacement.

No reason to expect this'll be any different.  As far as I know, trading was only updated as much as was needed to accomodate the new material system.

3.  Will we have access to items that used to be inaccessible via trading like glass and sand?

This is something that actually might have gotten changed when he was doing trade materials, so I don't know.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2010, 03:15:50 pm by Footkerchief »

jamoecw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11874 on: February 04, 2010, 03:15:39 pm »

Questions About Trading:

so you are trading with a settlement that has mainly skull totems, and you ask for just steel bars, and they show up without their specialty trade good?  what if the caravan bring things they got a deal on, figuring you might want some iron bars at a cheaper than normal price?  i could see them bringing just steel bars if they are your caravan that you sent out specifically to get steel bars, and had managed to trade their entire stock for them.

Considering the often original implementation of item as weapons in adventure mode(example: Guard wrestles your loincloth off and strangles you to death with it.) Will it be possible for these improvised weapons to gain mention in Legends and are you prepared for such a situation? (With appropriate engraving texts)

Yes, that's in.  As described in the dev log, any item can gain historical status if used to kill.  Even severed body parts:

Quote from: Quatch
If you wrestle something to death (or kick), do your graspers record the kill? and upon death or severing..

Ha ha, nah.  But if you sever your own hand and kill somebody with it, it will.

it would be funny if a dwarf throws a cat at something and kills it, and the cat gains legendary status as a result.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2010, 03:21:25 pm by jamoecw »

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11875 on: February 04, 2010, 03:28:06 pm »

it would be funny if a dwarf throws a cat at something and kills it, and the cat gains legendary status as a result.

Yeah, although as it stands now, it would have to be a cat corpse (I think you already know that, I'm just saying it for the benefit of other readers).

RandomNumberGenerator

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11876 on: February 04, 2010, 03:29:31 pm »

Questions About Trading:

so you are trading with a settlement that has mainly skull totems, and you ask for just steel bars, and they show up without their specialty trade good?  what if the caravan bring things they got a deal on, figuring you might want some iron bars at a cheaper than normal price?  i could see them bringing just steel bars if they are your caravan that you sent out specifically to get steel bars, and had managed to trade their entire stock for them.

Ohh, that would be fun. Instead of having the caravans come to you, you could build a wagon, given animals to pull it, send ~10 guards and a merchant and load it up wiht a bunch of stuff. Then send them on a trip to collect item(s).

Probably won't be in the next release, but could be a future addition.
The end of the world is more fun then I expected.

lastofthelight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11877 on: February 04, 2010, 03:39:27 pm »

I sense a new adventurer (or history/worldgen?) project: Thioxodrome, the Tentacle Demon, killed by Liar the Dwarf wielding Fluffy the Cat Corpse, the Weapon of Bloodshed, in 315, the Battle of Drowning.

Lancensis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11878 on: February 04, 2010, 03:40:40 pm »

Not really.  Diseases currently require the creature to touch, inhale, or get injected with a material.  Creatures can also exhale, secrete and inject disease-causing materials, but there's no way to link the onset of those "abilities" with the creature getting the disease itself.  In other words, you can't do contagion.  The best you can do (AFAIK) is give dwarves a weird ITEMCORPSE that produces a puff of disease gas when they die.
What if you had a creature that coated victims with a huge amount of contact poison? Could that not then spread from dwarf to dwarf?

theTrueMikeBrown

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TheTrueMikeBrown's patreon page
« Reply #11879 on: February 04, 2010, 03:45:09 pm »

Yeah, although as it stands now, it would have to be a cat corpse (I think you already know that, I'm just saying it for the benefit of other readers).

Footkerchief, when a legendary cat corpse rots/burns, are the bones still legendary?
What puts the "ape" in apricot?
Pages: 1 ... 790 791 [792] 793 794 ... 1065