Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Are you for or against units that can dig to your fortress ?

For !
Against !

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 35

Author Topic: [For or Against] Tunnelers units  (Read 63253 times)

Luke_Prowler

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait, how did I get back here?
    • View Profile
Re: [For or Against] Tunnelers units
« Reply #45 on: December 21, 2008, 02:35:07 pm »

I vote yes, but I think some other stuff should be done first.

Quote from: ProtonJon
And that's why Communism doesn't work. There's always Chance Time

LegacyCWAL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 21, 2008, 02:56:30 pm »

I would be for it IF it was done well.  However, Serg said it well:  if you think the AI has problems now, imagine how bad they would be trying to navigate stuff that winds up destroying even experienced players' fortresses.

So for now, I vote no.
HIDE THE WOMEN AND DROWN THE CHILDREN, THE BARON HAS ARRIVED.

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware those who would keep knowledge from you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 21, 2008, 04:30:39 pm »

By the way, I'd like to give my support to the "Nydus Canal" idea above. I think that's the ideal solution for animals/monsters, and for regular (aka fast and ugly) sapper crews, but that it should be the poor cousin of making real tunnels. It should only last for a certain amount of time before it automatically caves in, and it should be 1 direction only: In or out.

Also, creatures (or atleast intelligent humanoids) emerging from such a canal should really have some sort of short duration combat penalty, I think, from disorientation, having grime in their eyes, cramped quarters, etc.
For they would be your masters.

bjlong

• Bay Watcher
  • [INVISIBLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 21, 2008, 04:35:34 pm »

This might have to move to a seperate thread, but if we want to make this more general, we could just say that tunneling has a drastically higher rate of caving in, and always have something like "loose dirt" or "loose rock" filling from 1/7 to 4/7 of the tile.
I hesitate to click the last spoiler tag because I expect there to be Elder Gods in it or something.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 21, 2008, 04:40:01 pm »

My vote is yes.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 21, 2008, 04:43:14 pm »

Uh, tormy, not to step on the toes of the man who originally suggested tunneling... but mining/sapping is actually a very dangerous business. It requires strength, time, trigonometry (so's you know how far to go once you've surveyed topside), and bracing the tunnels when you go in. Collapses -do- happen, but that's not really represented to the most realistic point in the game- nor bracing the walls and floors of the tunnels. There's five-hundred tons of earth above a mined out tunnel deep underground. You think tunnels stay up by themselves? Tunneling/mining takes a lot of knowledge, and I'd say what most think of as "digging some holes" is more complicated than building a siege engine. Mainly because there isn't a risk of a part of the effing world collapsing on top of you.

Doesn't mean I don't want this included! If I can do it, I expect the game to be able to do it as well. Just... I felt for some reason to make miners and surveyors appear as intelligent as they are. And balls across the walls tough. It takes some serious cojones to mine. There's rather a lot that can go wrong, even when there isn't ravenous antmen on the other side of that tunnel, ready to strip the flesh from your bones.

Yes I know, but right now, it's absolutely unrealistic in Fortress mode also, agreed? [We don't even have cave-ins. If it's gonna be realistic, it must be material dependant.]. So, if the system will be changed one day, dwarves should not skyrocketing through loose materials without risking the chance of random cave-ins for example. They must spend some time with reinforcing the tunnels/rooms also. Everything must be balanced out. Digging is "easymode" right now.  ;)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 21, 2008, 04:50:42 pm »

Kinda odd...

We have people saying No because it cannot be done sanely right now
and
We have people saying No because it can never be done sanely

Personally I think that the vote has to be a bit more concise like this

Vote Yes if you think tunneler units will ever be a good idea!
Vote No if you think Tunneler units are a bad idea and will never be anything but a bad idea.

Timst

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 21, 2008, 06:55:59 pm »

Neonivek is right, but it's sure that the concept, if accepted, need to be worked in-proof.

Well, after 24 hours of voting, there's about 73 % of FOR and 27 % of AGAINST, and 67 users have voted.
Short summary of what I often saw (but I didn't proofreaded, so if someone spammed his idea, it's possible that I think that many people proposed it) :

- A lot of people agree on the fact that ennemy tunnelers should be slower that dwarves at digging.
- Some people thinks that digging should be the last measure of an invading army.
- Many users said that other siege devices (such as catapults or battering ram) should be implemented first.
- People seem to agree that caveins are a prerequisite for tunneller, for difficulty balance or realism reasons.

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 21, 2008, 07:24:36 pm »

The reason that I don't think it should be a last resort, is because if an option has a reasonable chance of working-and saving a lot of lives and resources in the process-then it should be implemented when the time is right, not when half your army is annihilated.

That's just common sense.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 21, 2008, 07:35:32 pm »

That and intelligent Fortress design should include the possibility of tunnelers if they are included. So having a few squads circle a barrier you put around your underground fortress on each level would be a good idea.

As well putting up supports to prevent accidental cave-ins incase of tunnelers, earthquakes, and other such events would become commonplace.

It only because a "Trump everything" Card when two things happen
1) Non-tunneling Sieges are otherwise impossible
2) When the player doesn't plan for Tunnelers.

Not planning for tunnels should be just as deadly as not planning for normal sieges. You don't say "Not fair" you say "What was I thinking?"
« Last Edit: December 21, 2008, 07:48:53 pm by Neonivek »

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 21, 2008, 07:40:18 pm »

The reason that I don't think it should be a last resort, is because if an option has a reasonable chance of working-and saving a lot of lives and resources in the process-then it should be implemented when the time is right, not when half your army is annihilated.

That's just common sense.

This is exactly what I was talking about:)

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 21, 2008, 08:30:22 pm »

Well then, please consider me a supporter of your idea, rather than a userper  ;D

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 21, 2008, 08:41:24 pm »

- A lot of people agree on the fact that ennemy tunnelers should be slower that dwarves at digging.
- Some people thinks that digging should be the last measure of an invading army.
- Many users said that other siege devices (such as catapults or battering ram) should be implemented first.
- People seem to agree that caveins are a prerequisite for tunneller, for difficulty balance or realism reasons.
I fully agree with this, but add that there should be an init.txt option.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Belteshazzar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 21, 2008, 10:33:17 pm »

It occurs to me that when we get the ability to play other races (without modding) dwarves will be besieging us and it would be very dwarfy of them to send a platoon of miners armed with picks to undermine our Dark Towers or channel carp water through our castles. I grant that Dwarves are simply going to be the fastest diggers (aside from the odd megabeast, mages or gods) simply by merit of skill, practice, and having the largest pool of practiced stoneworkers.

Invading non-dwaves are probably at most going to be dabbling or proficient with very few reaching the proper skill of a dedicated dwarvenly miner.
In the year 570, Kjerdregus occurred.

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 21, 2008, 10:50:47 pm »

Advanced ability? What? So digging out a tunnel requires more knowledge than constructing a catapult you say?  ;D Please...

Spoken like someone who hasn't dug as much as a ditch in his entire life, let alone hacked tunnels into bedrock
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 35