Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

After experimenting with the options, how is 40d13? Problems only count if the defaults don't work.

Faster than 40d, no problems
- 42 (26.1%)
Faster than 40d, problems
- 72 (44.7%)
No slower than 40d, no problems
- 14 (8.7%)
No slower than 40d, problems
- 16 (9.9%)
Slower than 40d, no problems
- 2 (1.2%)
Slower than 40d, problems
- 3 (1.9%)
Doesn't work (please explain)
- 12 (7.5%)

Total Members Voted: 160

Pages: 1 ... 113 114 [115] 116 117 ... 147

Author Topic: FotF: Help test the output code for the next version of DF (40d13)  (Read 373277 times)

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

40d12 isn't displaying a save-file select screen for me.  Its just going straight to loading the first file in the directory.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

jamoecw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

the game runs pretty good, the middle menu needs some work (as some things are cut off, such as 'help' just has 'he'), the game help that talks about which keys do what sometimes says broken in red (not that big of a deal really, it says what is what in the middle menu), zoom shrinks everything (kind of expected actually considering it is an ascii game, and the zoom is sort of 3rd party), every second or two the game thinks, which causes a very slight hiccup in speed, if one is rapidly jumping through z layers then this turns into a complete stop for about half a second to a second (40d11 didn't have this but wasn't as fast either, and 40d got got slower than this, though consistently as in per tick).

i have weather turned off in the init.txt, underground features turned to always, and i had forgotten to set it to show fluid amounts (which i did while typing this).  i use windows xp pro, athlon xp 1800 (1.54gh), 150 Gb ram, DF is on a second HD which uses ntfswith 18.9Gb free, while my main uses fat32 with 1.38Gb free.  you probably don't need to know the HD stuff, but some games do weird stuff with virtual memory.

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile

40d12 isn't displaying a save-file select screen for me.  Its just going straight to loading the first file in the directory.
That's bizarre, and also doesn't happen to me.

Does this still happen if you use a clean install?
C++ makes baby Cthulhu weep. Why settle for the lesser horror?

Slinkyfest

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Canuck
    • View Profile

Just tried to play once more, getting the below error message. Im actually having issues running a number games, they all start up and then crash as they begin to initialize. At least DF gives me an error code.

Error Given
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Comp Stats

The resolution is 1360x768 and I have been having this problem since day one of running this computer.
GENERATION 25:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile

No crash, but also no screen. It starts, and in "processes" I see it running, but there's no window, and alt-tabbing also shows no application...

Running on Win XP Pro SP3, clean install of 40d12

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile

To the last two: Try it on Linux.

Go on, download Wubi and try it. There's a good chance that would make it work, but if it doesn't, at least I can get some more useful debugging information.

And unfortunately, the radeon 9550 is too old. ATI is well known for dropping support for older cards within two or three years; the 9550 is seven. That's just one reason I'm sticking to nVidia...

(But Linux has an open-source radeon driver that often works when ATI's doesn't)

Da King

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Runs well for me, being able to see this much of the map in fullscreen is awesome. About 400 FPS in windowed, 300 FPS in fullscreen.

Slinkyfest

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Canuck
    • View Profile

To the last two: Try it on Linux.

Go on, download Wubi and try it. There's a good chance that would make it work, but if it doesn't, at least I can get some more useful debugging information.

And unfortunately, the radeon 9550 is too old. ATI is well known for dropping support for older cards within two or three years; the 9550 is seven. That's just one reason I'm sticking to nVidia...

(But Linux has an open-source radeon driver that often works when ATI's doesn't)

But it would work on my previous computer that lacked a graphics card... Any way I can install linux without wiping my harddrive?
« Last Edit: June 22, 2009, 02:56:32 pm by Slinkyfest »
GENERATION 25:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile

Yes. Use Wubi.

DF 40d was compatible with the windows software-renderer, indeed. The next version won't be, so.. sorry about that, but pretty much any card on the market today would be fifty times faster than the one you've got, even the el-cheapo $30 ones.

0x517A5D

• Bay Watcher
  • Hex Editor‬‬
    • View Profile

The resizing code works for me.  I immediately noted that the 80x25 startup screen start out centered, but jumps to the top left of the window as soon as the window is resized or even moved.  Resize during a game works.

Zoom out works but i don't really like it.  Zoom in doesn't expand past the actual size of the font but it does resize the area of the window that is used.  The "step" of the zoom feels far too small, like 1% or so.  I would like 25% or 50%.

This is with a Radeon 4870 and the February 2009 drivers.

With the new resizing code comes a housekeeping task:
  • Rename curses_640x300.png to curses_8x12.png or similar
  • Rename curses_800x600.png to curses_10x12.png or similar
  • Create a pixel-doubled version of each, giving them appropriate names.

And an aside: I very much want to be able to start the game with the window position and size the same as when I last quit.

My preferred window position actually starts off the screen, with the top left at X=-3,Y=-12.  Combining this with a WINDOWEDX/Y of 1680/1008 lets me maximize the client area's space while still allowing my taskbar to be visible.

In 40d9 I do this with a combination of the stated WINDOWEDX/Y settings and a custom startup command that positions the window.

It would be preferable for DF to remember its previous window position.  If that's not practical, I would at least want to continue to be able to set window size in the init.txt file.

Edit: In fullscreen, my flashing bottom line bug is once again occurring.  Setting FULLGRID vertical size to overwrite the flashing bottom line is not acceptable to me because of very ugly font resizing.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2009, 03:24:20 pm by 0x517A5D »

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile

All your complaints have already been addressed for the next version, except saving the window size/position for next time. That would be nice, though..

Oh well. I'm hereby announcing that I'm going on vacation tomorrow; I'll be back in 14 days or so. If anyone wishes to ask something, this'd b the time.

Slinkyfest

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Canuck
    • View Profile

Yes. Use Wubi.

DF 40d was compatible with the windows software-renderer, indeed. The next version won't be, so.. sorry about that, but pretty much any card on the market today would be fifty times faster than the one you've got, even the el-cheapo $30 ones.

Eh, downloading wubi now... Fingers crossed I want me some kitten porridge tonight! Oh, and thanks for the recommendation Baughn, I hope it works.
GENERATION 25:

Rivaryn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Sorry for the long delay...

Here is the original init.txt for the 40d5 one:

And here is the unified diff of the 40d12 I tried using compared to it:

(I figured a diff would be better than simply reposting the new one, since it would be a lot easier to see what I changed).  I copied them to my linux system and diffed them there, but I run DF on windows XP SP3

Hope that helps...
« Last Edit: June 22, 2009, 06:45:26 pm by Rivaryn »

Veroule

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Still, the keyboard input isn't working exactly like 40d9. I am using an alternate layout called Colemak, on a qwerty keyboard.

Now the game seems to take most of the input correctly, except some, where it reads me as pressing the qwerty equivalent. An example is at the embark screen, the physical N on my computer should be 'K'. But when I press the N key (expecting the embark square to move down), the game wants me to make a note. The interesting thing is the physical 'J' key, which should be N, reads as N, and also prompts me to make a note. There are other examples of this in the other menus as well.
Thank you for the detailed report.  I thought I was being a little too agressive by checking both scan codes and converted unicode values.  It is very easy to have it not look at the scan code when the unicode value is available, and that will fix the problem you are seeing.
"Please, spare us additional torture; and just euthanise yourselves."
Delivered by Tim Curry of Clue as a parody of the lead ass from American Idol in the show Psych.

Narmio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I think I asked this a few pages ago, but it went unanswered.  Sorry for the repost:

How does one use this macro designation feature I hear being discussed?  I can't find it, nor any documentation related to it.  Am I blind, or is it a very stealthy feature?
Pages: 1 ... 113 114 [115] 116 117 ... 147