Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

After experimenting with the options, how is 40d13? Problems only count if the defaults don't work.

Faster than 40d, no problems
- 42 (26.1%)
Faster than 40d, problems
- 72 (44.7%)
No slower than 40d, no problems
- 14 (8.7%)
No slower than 40d, problems
- 16 (9.9%)
Slower than 40d, no problems
- 2 (1.2%)
Slower than 40d, problems
- 3 (1.9%)
Doesn't work (please explain)
- 12 (7.5%)

Total Members Voted: 160

Pages: 1 ... 115 116 [117] 118 119 ... 147

Author Topic: FotF: Help test the output code for the next version of DF (40d13)  (Read 373239 times)

Veroule

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Oh, cool.  I don't know what I did though.  I can't figure out how to turn off the macro.  I made what I thought was a simple macro: select, move down 2, move right 2, select.  I saved it and exited back out to have it flash macro on the bottom of the screen and all hell broke loose on my map.  It was designating huge blocks and I couldn't turn it off. :p  (this was in the windows version and I'm nost sure that the add key functionality was all about, but that might have been what screwed me over.)
I was able to rpelicate the problem and will fix it for the next version.
"Please, spare us additional torture; and just euthanise yourselves."
Delivered by Tim Curry of Clue as a parody of the lead ass from American Idol in the show Psych.

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile

Any idea yet why 40d12 is slower than 40d5 based on my post from yesterday?
Not really, no. Unless you're on Linux?

But you should at least try using a print-mode besides standard.
C++ makes baby Cthulhu weep. Why settle for the lesser horror?

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Can I just beg, once more, for whomever packages this up to rename the "df" startup script to anything other than "df"?  That's the name of a standard UNIX utility to show free disk space.
But how else is one going to sneak it past the sysadmin as a legitimate application? :)

(Yeah, the startup script name probably doesn't persist and game-proper's load, execution time and suchlike won't fool anyone, but let's assume it's incomptetent users trying to sneak it past an incompetent sysadmin, and everything cancels out!)

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile

Why does it matter?

You start it using "./df", not "df". If you're adding it to the path, I expect you could just rename it as well; that would also require editing it to change the directory before starting dwarfort.

FlexibleDogma

• Bay Watcher
  • xGiant Cave Spider Silk Sockx Merchant
    • View Profile

Why does it matter?

You start it using "./df", not "df". If you're adding it to the path, I expect you could just rename it as well; that would also require editing it to change the directory before starting dwarfort.

Some folks have . on the end of their path.  I wouldn't recommend it myself since it can lead to all sorts of shenanigans, but since the average Linux home user is running a 1-user box it doesn't matter as much as it would on a multi-user server.

@kutulu: Ever consider an alias to launch it?  I'm 99% sure almost every single shell out there looks at alias before path.  You could set up an alias named launchdf that would cd to the proper folder and then run the launching script.  (Unless it's just the fact that the names match that is driving you up the wall.)

Xgamer4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

If I had to guess, kutulu's issue is that he tries to run dwarf fortress, forgets the "./" part, and feels like the computer is mocking him by showing disk space.

At least, that's how I'd feel.
insert something mind-blowing/witty here*

brainfire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I put a button to launch it on my panel.

Weirdos.
You can allow or stop your dwarves from eating these mushrooms, but it's entirely optional and doesn't turn Dwarf Fortress into Dwarf hookah-smoking pad.

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile

"Panel"?

- Sincerely, an XMonad user.

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

"Panel"?

ignore me... I can't read.
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

brainfire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

"Panel"?

Allow me to reiterate the "weirdos" section of my previous post.

Seriously though, that looks kind of fancy. Would have been useful back in the day, when 95% of the stuff I ran was terminal-based.

On a side note, I watched a "screencast" (ugh) of it, and it has a really great song I just downloaded! Thanks, Internet!
You can allow or stop your dwarves from eating these mushrooms, but it's entirely optional and doesn't turn Dwarf Fortress into Dwarf hookah-smoking pad.

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile

All keybinding hell has broken loose on d12:
"Use BROKENBROKENBROKENBROKENBROKENBROKEN to scroll."

Adventure mode accepts no input, though still runs (to the extent that sitting at the first frame can be considered "running", anyway)

Using curses_800x600, the game stays in widescreen form (much like as if I were still on 640x300) but creates large black letterboxes in the shape of the 800x600 window it should be.
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

Grax

• Bay Watcher
  • The Only.
    • View Profile

Stable decrease in speed between d11 and d12:
with G_FPS_CAP=120 - 120-150 and 85-100 fps
with G_FPS_CAP=60 - 200-240 and 120-130 fps
with G_FPS_CAP=30 - 300-350 and 140-150 fps

14 dwarves, third year from start, somewhat about 30k objects.
Finis sanctificat media.

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile

Using curses_800x600, the game stays in widescreen form (much like as if I were still on 640x300) but creates large black letterboxes in the shape of the 800x600 window it should be.
Can't replicate.
Post your entire init.txt please? (In a spoiler)

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile

Ah, found why it didn't start for me: The "fullscreen?" prompt wasn't showing up, at all. Skipping the prompt with the init.txt worked wonders. Generating first world now...

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

jaked122

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Lurker tendancies]
    • View Profile

again and again I am glad that I have waited until D13
Pages: 1 ... 115 116 [117] 118 119 ... 147