Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: megabeast durability  (Read 1669 times)

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
megabeast durability
« on: December 19, 2008, 12:34:22 am »

a metalcrafter immigrant of mine(with no attribute or military training) once destroyed a dragon himself (two hits, the dragon immediately fell unconscious)
quite ridiculous!

megabeasts don't need to be able to take more hits to live destructive lives, rather, they just need the ability to absorb most hits, due to toughness or organ size(less likely to inflict a relatively hurtful wound).

The amount of damage done to a normal creature may or may not strike a major part of an organ. Sure, enough hits will tenderize it, but the real factors are power, luck, and skill. an ordinary man should have an impossible feat alone.

solutions?

thick skin reduces damage..
protective layer................: remove the skin to get to the organ.
organ tenderization............(each allows the next to deal more damage)

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
Re: megabeast durability
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2008, 12:42:32 am »

Aaaand pretty much all of this is in the next version with the body overhaul. Skin, fat, muscle, organ layering with variable strengths. So dragon hide can be made ridiculously strong, with bones of adamantine.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2008, 01:06:38 am »

Not to mention that a non-trained fella taking out a dragon so easily is a statistical anomaly of itself, I believe.

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2008, 02:53:48 am »

Just needs a worldgen tweak that stops every groundhog incident resulting in lost limbs and we're set

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2008, 03:21:24 am »

Not to mention that a non-trained fella taking out a dragon so easily is a statistical anomaly of itself, I believe.
The only anomaly is how often it happens.

Although considering that often it is either peasants or traps that reach megabeasts first...
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2008, 09:27:17 am »

The only anomaly is how often it happens.

Although considering that often it is either peasants or traps that reach megabeasts first...

It's cause we train our soldiers, so they know what their getting into.  Is it any wonder they run a little slow?

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2008, 09:30:31 am »

Well, perhaps the next version will make the megabeasts much more powerful. [body layers...]
That, and try to modify the vanilla megas. Try SIZE:100 for example.
Also, I guess that the combat arc will take care of these imbalances mainly.  :)

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2008, 10:39:38 am »

Just needs a worldgen tweak that stops every groundhog incident resulting in lost limbs and we're set

Careful with them groundhog teeth; they'll take off more'n a finger.

(RL Note: My dog kills groundhogs left and right, the last one he didn't kill but it played dead, then tried to bite him.  Groundhog missed my dog's neck and got his leather collar instead: Those bite marks were DEEP, almost cut through the 3/16" leather.)

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware those who would keep knowledge from you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2008, 10:10:21 pm »

I'd like to see the humanoid megabeasts atleast picking up and using equipment.

Minotaurs would be fun as an evil Nation to play against, and they might get full forging status, maybe with their own types of weapons.

Giants were quite often depicted as master smiths, and it's reasonable that some of them might forge atleast bronze weapons and armour.

There might be different types of giants too---ice giants, fire giants, etc.

Titans might actually have magical weapons and armour, from the dawn of time, as well as possibly possessing supernatural abilities.

Trolls might use stone weapons and dress in furs for armour, and-similar to dragons-they might have extremely resilient bodies, that quickly regenerate damage.

Hydras ought to not only regenerate damage, but have very thick scales on their bodies, and maybe have a small chance to grow back their severed heads.
For they would be your masters.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2008, 01:20:13 am »

how about we just make it that collossi ignore slash attacks?

and hydras automatically grow back heads, but die at 7
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

LrZeph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2008, 08:41:27 am »

Aaaand pretty much all of this is in the next version with the body overhaul. Skin, fat, muscle, organ layering with variable strengths. So dragon hide can be made ridiculously strong, with bones of adamantine.

I hate to go off topic but: Damnit warlord, when you said bones of adamantine I thought (immediately) of duke nukem and his "Balls of Steel" comment.
Oh and tenderization sounds awesome... macedwarf tenderizers anyone?
And everyone knows, when the Dwarves come out of the walls, it's all over.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2008, 08:50:24 am »

I'd like to see the humanoid megabeasts atleast picking up and using equipment.
They can, actually.  I made a tamable intelligent megabeast, and after taming one such beast, I found it was a proficient shield user.  It did not, however, possess a shield.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Kruniac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2008, 10:27:48 pm »

I hate to go off topic but: Damnit warlord, when you said bones of adamantine I thought (immediately) of duke nukem and his "Balls of Steel" comment.

You know that looking at the .raws in development, body parts grow with time, it seems.

If that's true, I can think of a body part to add.

...Then when I play Goblin Fortress, we'll be eating Dwarven Sausage.

Neoskel

• Bay Watcher
  • Read or the owl will eat you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2008, 11:43:17 pm »

You know that looking at the .raws in development, body parts grow with time, it seems.

If that's true, I can think of a body part to add.

...Then when I play Goblin Fortress, we'll be eating Dwarven Sausage.

Ug. Why did you have to remind me of the NSFW goblin fortres thread in the modding section? Why?

Anyways, someone suggested to Toady that dragons could continue growing as long as they live (as based on various myths/stories). That would make really old dragons seriously dangerous. Even if they only went up one 'size' a year they'd get really big by 1050.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2008, 11:45:18 pm by Neoskel »
Urist Mcsurvivalist has been accosted by edible vermin lately.

Goblins: The fourth iron ore.

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2008, 12:02:38 am »

Holy carp! Would that mean a 1050 year old dragon would be size 1050?
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.
Pages: [1] 2