Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 59 60 [61] 62 63 ... 70

Author Topic: Emperor of the Fading Suns PBEM turn 63 - closing comments and analysis  (Read 88205 times)

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
Re: Emperor of the Fading Suns PBEM turn 58 - things continue blowing up
« Reply #900 on: June 22, 2009, 12:02:31 pm »

I'm pretty sure that frozen environment does not give a bonus in space, btw.  When aqizzer attacked me above malignatius, my fighters had the agility bonus from being hidden in a carrier.  If they also had the agility bonus from frozen planet they would have had 16 agility which would have made them untouchable.  (Going by the "truth about EFS". if agility is 11 above accuracy, the target can't be hit.  Near as I can tell, lowering that difference increases the odds of being hit by 5% times the amount lowered so that, I would suppose at accuracy 9 above agility, you can't miss.)
I thought that it'd be 15 at most? +2 for unspotted, +3(or was it +2?) for frozen. The problem is, all we've got to support those numbers is nova-guys words, which all too often seem like wild guesses to me.
This game could really use a step-by-step combat mode with damage and to-hit shown(among a myriad other things it needs).

seeing as I didn't even think you had ships in the sector, that didn't seem like a longshot.
Damn, wasn't I worried that you'd get your naval destroyer on Malignatus close enough to the Well-island city to find out that I hid my ships there.

Wild Goose

• Bay Watcher
  • My Avatar Has Something Green. Yay solidarity!
    • View Profile
« Reply #901 on: June 22, 2009, 12:18:24 pm »

Oh, and I don't want to sound jerk-ass-grammar-nazi like, but I think that it's umbrage, not umbridge. I'm in the process of getting some silly english certification, so I'm somewhat sensitive to this sort of thing.(which also means that I'd appreciate any corrections to my use of english from native speakers)
Who knows, maybe he was referring to Harry Potter.  XD

You know, I keep telling myself I've got to find a way to practice Chinese while goofing off on the computer.  That way I can say I'm not just wasting time, you know?
I've got some crummy Diablo-style game called Sea of Evil, that had a Mandarin voice option, but my weak(er) point is reading characters.  And that game isn't fun, anyway.

I forget, can destroyers bombard?  It seems like Il Palazzo has wiped out maniac's ability to bombard, but doesn't have any bombardment capabilities of its own.
Wasn't the groundwar going really poorly for Il Palazzo, though?
"Adventurer's Motto; Take everything not nailed down and nail down whoever tries to stop you."

"Whatever happens, we have got the ballista and they have not."

The dwarven economy is just a stand-in, from what I understand. As it is, it represents an actual economic system about as well as poison ivy represents a salad.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #902 on: June 22, 2009, 12:28:19 pm »

WG: I found Romance of the Three Kingdoms really helpful with regards to learning japanese(read: you can pretend that you're actually studying and not wasting your time, which seems to be what you wanted), and you can just as easily get a chinese version.

Destroyers can't bomb the surface, but as of today, my conquering the surface is almost done, the greatest threat left is probably the marauding rebel DNA legion(s?) I've seen near the southern pole(DNA rebel wtf? where did it come from? I didn't even think that ruins can have such a high-end units within).
Unless mainiac has got something else hidden there that I've failed to notice yet.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #903 on: June 22, 2009, 12:37:28 pm »

it's umbrage, not umbridge

'grats, you just taught something to a native speaker.

Well-island city to find out that I hid my ships there.

that's one mystery explained... and I was even planning on launching an amphib assault there...   :o

I forget, can destroyers bombard?  It seems like Il Palazzo has wiped out maniac's ability to bombard, but doesn't have any bombardment capabilities of its own.
Wasn't the groundwar going really poorly for Il Palazzo, though?

Only cruisers, dreadnoughts and meson space stations can bombard.  I'm down to one cruiser... again.  Dreadnoughts and meson stations both require proscribed techs to build (not merely proscribed perquisites like megatanks and blademasters) so cruisers are the only thing that anyone but fleet master Aqizzer has right now.

The ground war was going in Il Palazzo's favor but the forces in play were very small.  He only landed a few troops and my garrison was at one of it's smallest sizes.  He had eliminated most of my advanced troops but didn't have many troops of his own.  Particularly telling was the fact that his main force had very little anti aircraft and was heavy on mechanized troops, so with cruisers and aircraft, my odds seemed pretty good.

But I also had a more then satisfactory plan B.  By sacrificing cheap units, I had created a king of the hill situation with two of his transports where possession kept going back and forth every turn, keeping the transports from launching.  As long as even one transport had survived, I could have brought four elite units so that I could capture those transports and keep him from taking them back.  I figured that even worst case scenario I would be able to easily pull that off.  Seeing as Il Palazzo doesn't have many transports to spare (four freighters, a lander and a carrier that I've spotted), It seemed like a good bet that depriving him of those two transports would have slowed down his invasion too much to dislodge my elite strikeforce before I could bring overwhelming force to bear.  I had figured that if I lost a few fighters and frigates it would be no big deal if I gained a few freighters for my trouble...

(DNA rebel wtf? where did it come from? I didn't even think that ruins can have such a high-end units within).

Alien ruins.  Have fun with those guys, I sure did.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #904 on: June 22, 2009, 12:51:25 pm »

Well-island city to find out that I hid my ships there.
that's one mystery explained... and I was even planning on launching an amphib assault there...   :o
How can you launch an amphibious assault? When you send in a naval transport with troops on board, they do not take part in combat - it's only the transport(unarmed) that "fights".
Besides, I moved the freighter you've encountered in space especially because I wanted to bring in some units to garrison that Well - I figured that it's better to sacrifice one freighter rather than risk losing all my fleet(and you capturing it would be disaster of epic proportions). That freighter somehow managed to survive, though.

Particularly telling was the fact that his main force had very little anti aircraft and was heavy on mechanized troops.
I actually had quite a considerable amounts of AAs brought in, considering my limited transport capability. Besides, I thought that mastiff's 3/40 anit-air would suffice for dealing with solitary planes. However, with the frozen env. agility bonus(of which I forgot when assembling my forces) even the dedicated AA are having a hard time hitting a fighter.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #905 on: June 22, 2009, 01:39:28 pm »

However, with the frozen env. agility bonus(of which I forgot when assembling my forces) even the dedicated AA are having a hard time hitting a fighter.

And if I was planning on landing at least 3 or 4 fighters...
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"

Kejardon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #906 on: June 23, 2009, 12:20:03 pm »

Il Palazzo: If you haven't heard already, native English speakers (at least from America) are some of the worst people on average to ask for help as far as speaking English goes. :P

I can vouch for +11 agility being entirely unhittable, that is painfully obvious if you play Hyperion. I can do some small assembly debugging but I'm not sure I'd be able to find the code and data that dictates battle to-hit odds. I'm far better with 65816 than x86.

Mlittle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #907 on: June 23, 2009, 02:45:56 pm »

This is a game so lets treat it like a game. And it's supossed to be fun, so lets have fun.

I am shure, the game engine has some wonkiness it, but that's the same for us all.

My turn is done.
With the final words said, the little bearded loony goes back into his cave.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #908 on: June 24, 2009, 12:55:02 am »

Il Palazzo: If you haven't heard already, native English speakers (at least from America) are some of the worst people on average to ask for help as far as speaking English goes. :P
Heh, I used to be living in the UK for a few years, and I can assure you that at least when it comes to written English, wondrous things can be seen there as well. But all depends on what kind of people you're interacting with, and what sort of help you're looking for. I understand that there's a lot of people studying in colleges/universities on this forum, so I'd say that they're less prone to e.g. spelling errors than "common folk". Plus, while I can always check a word in a dictionary, it's much more difficult to check your sentences' coherence and/or proper use of idioms. I might think that I've written something correctly, while in reality, no native speaker would ever say something like that. etc, etc.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #909 on: June 24, 2009, 01:24:17 pm »

Turn done.

Lo and behold! Like a vulture, sensing Li Halan's moment of weakness, House Decados declares war!

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

Mlittle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

There was a lot of excitement at the Decados embassy on Byzantium, as the news of the fighting between house Decados and house Li Halan spread. It is unknown who was the contract giver, on whose behalf, the Decados joined the war, as they are not willing to give him out.

The official proclamation by the high lord M is:
It is for the better of the Empire that we took this job.  And the mighty Decados troops will not rest untill the contract is fulfilled. Manitou is only days away from total liberation, from the Li-Halan occupation. We shall be victorious.
With the final words said, the little bearded loony goes back into his cave.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile

Be careful what you wish for, Mlittle and Il.  I have been careful to not upset the balance in this game.  What's the galaxy going to look like if you don't have old dick to kick around anymore?
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Is this your way of saying that you've got nothing left to defend yourself with?

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile

No, just that this war isn't in your best interests.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
Pages: 1 ... 59 60 [61] 62 63 ... 70