Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 70

Author Topic: Emperor of the Fading Suns PBEM turn 63 - closing comments and analysis  (Read 88420 times)

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
Re: Emperor of the Fading Suns PBEM turn 54 - war is brewing.(?)
« Reply #705 on: May 26, 2009, 06:45:28 am »

hmmm, I don't know. I'd say no, but I might be biased for obvious reasons. Wait for Mlittle and Aqizzar to decide.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #706 on: May 26, 2009, 07:21:27 am »

http://theamazingjex.googlepages.com/doggies.sav

It appears that sir robin is quite good at living up to his name.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2009, 07:24:16 am by mainiac »
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Mlittle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #707 on: May 26, 2009, 08:28:26 am »

Pax Il Palazzo is certainly over, with the declaration of Hazat Li-Halan war.

And the tension remains throughout the rest of the Empire.

Turn done.
With the final words said, the little bearded loony goes back into his cave.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #708 on: May 26, 2009, 08:44:21 am »

It is not a war as one of the participants refuses to engage in any offensive campaign.

Another peace has been offered, btw.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #709 on: May 26, 2009, 09:17:17 am »

Don't take that crap Palazzo!

Also, how was he able to attack you so easily? Isn't there any way to defend your borders? I'd have thought those would be necessary during such an uneasy peace.

Is there any large-scale weaponry available? I'd like to see intergalactic nuclear war!

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #710 on: May 26, 2009, 09:52:09 am »

me are confused

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #711 on: May 26, 2009, 10:26:10 am »

Also, how was he able to attack you so easily? Isn't there any way to defend your borders? I'd have thought those would be necessary during such an uneasy peace.

Is there any large-scale weaponry available? I'd like to see intergalactic nuclear war!

There's no borders.  I am fighting solely on my own territory (and a few cheap shots on byzantium.)

The only large scale weapon is the plague bomb which is not worth the headache.  Intergalactic nukes are all out because there's only 40 or so planets.  Plus I'm not launching any offensives.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

Kejardon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #712 on: May 26, 2009, 10:27:42 am »

Yes.. 'borders' in this game are the space around planets. If the player has a proper defense, it's rather difficult to go to their planet and land units - you can be attacked before you have a chance to do so. Early on though it's easy to overspread yourself and not have enough space units to properly defend all your planets at once... and this is still about mid-game.
None of that applies here though, since the noble being attacked isn't on his own planet, he's on someone elses' planet.

The closest thing there is to a nuke is the dreaded plague bomb. Which doesn't do any damage immediately, but it puts all the nearby units at risk of plague, which may spread and kill units until it's contained and burns itself out.
Actually, we specifically refrained from putting the so called noble from al-Malik in the slightest bit of danger.
I'm curious how you can intentionally avoid hitting a noble... If you can hit the infantry in the same stack you must be able to hit the noble too.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #713 on: May 26, 2009, 11:06:39 am »

Actually, we specifically refrained from putting the so called noble from al-Malik in the slightest bit of danger.
I'm curious how you can intentionally avoid hitting a noble... If you can hit the infantry in the same stack you must be able to hit the noble too.
Well, truth be told, attacking a noble with airplanes only can't kill him. Planes don't have close combat/psych stats, and the noble is immune to anything but these two forms of attack. It remains mainiac's secret, if he realized this while deciding to attack.

Kejardon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #714 on: May 26, 2009, 11:18:20 am »

Really? I thought direct worked against nobles too... just tested and apparently it doesn't. Huh. Good to know if I want to try to capture a noble in a future game.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #715 on: May 26, 2009, 01:04:00 pm »

Really? I thought direct worked against nobles too... just tested and apparently it doesn't. Huh. Good to know if I want to try to capture a noble in a future game.

Of course, to capture them requires you to hurt them at least a little.  But wiping them out with planes does give you time to bring in militia, etc.

It remains mainiac's secret, if he realized this while deciding to attack.

That's not exactly a hard secret to unravel.  I flew in planes from two systems away to attack you.  Meanwhile I landed seals and an assault legion right next to your noble and didn't attack with them.  Kinda easy to deduce if I wanted him dead, neh?
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

Kejardon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #716 on: May 26, 2009, 05:31:27 pm »

Haha, yeah, it took me a while to figure out where you got those planes from when I was looking at the saves XD

mainiac, it's more that I'd avoid bringing my own infantry and just use fast tanks with low close-damage. I don't really like using air units generally. For that matter I usually just keep nobles safe at home, but if they only have to worry about close/psych damage, I might rethink that a bit.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #717 on: May 26, 2009, 07:28:52 pm »

I don't really like using air units generally.

I didn't either until halfway through this game.  Il Palazzo's masterful* use of them was a real eye opener and I quickly started emulating him.  Planes are pricey, but can be devastatingly effective at times.

*note, masterful should not be considered in any way shape or form a compliment for this dishonorable scum.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #718 on: May 26, 2009, 08:43:38 pm »

War is brewing indeed.

Mainiac, you'll find yourself short a few units and a transport.  Admittedly, I can't actually find any of Palazzo's units now, nor where your forces that attacked him are.  But you were warned, so punitive measures had to be taken.  I have of course limited that effort to Malignatus, but don't think that your aggression has gone unnoticed.

Let us all be civilized.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #719 on: May 26, 2009, 09:01:10 pm »

Just so I have a good idea of the situation, how much stronger is Aqizzar's forces compared to everyone elses?
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 70