Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 804 805 [806] 807 808 ... 990

Author Topic: Dungeon Crawl: Stone Soup. Or: THAT DAMN SIGMUND.  (Read 1667802 times)

DeKaFu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeon Crawl: Stone Soup. Or: THAT DAMN SIGMUND.
« Reply #12075 on: June 02, 2014, 06:13:13 pm »

I do wonder if these discussions are taking place in places the developers actually see them? I don't know where that would be (pardon my ignorance), but glancing at "the tavern" forum I don't see any of this opposition there at all.

Is it possible the devs just don't know they're potentially alienating a lot of players with these new directions?

As someone who has been playing crawl on and off for years without getting a win, but enjoying it thoroughly nonetheless, I wonder how much of this disconnect comes from the people at the wheel being people who've played the game to death and have tons of wins under their belt, who have lost track of what it's like to be new/learning player? A lot of the things being called trivial and struck down are things that I still struggle to overcome (in a good way), and I don't really like being robbed of my chance to do so because other people who did it a long time ago are "bored" with the classic mechanics.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12076 on: June 02, 2014, 06:36:01 pm »

I used to be an active member and wasn't too hated (as in, I didn't constantly get my ideas shot down) but I raised this in a couple of topics (especially concerning item weight) and got absolutely destroyed.
It seems as though the decision has been made of the direction it's going in, and any opposition is people just not getting with the program. There was a vocal group (I won't call them a minority as I have no figures) who have been hammering on about going in this direction for a while, so now that things are going that way it's been heaps of praise and little else.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Dr Feelgood

• Bay Watcher
  • The Dwarven Barricade
    • View Profile
« Reply #12077 on: June 02, 2014, 09:40:15 pm »

Nevermind.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2014, 10:18:59 pm by Dr Feelgood »

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12078 on: June 02, 2014, 11:34:19 pm »

I'd point out that the vast majority of players (and in particular developers) do not think that way, and therefore you can't really expect them to cater to people who like just messing around with items for the sake of it.
I really doubt people have been playing this game for so long without enjoying those elements, considering a lot of the removals are rather recent.

I do wonder if these discussions are taking place in places the developers actually see them? I don't know where that would be (pardon my ignorance), but glancing at "the tavern" forum I don't see any of this opposition there at all.

Is it possible the devs just don't know they're potentially alienating a lot of players with these new directions?
That's entirely possible.
The tavern has a reputation of beating down opinions that stray too much from Crawls current design philosophy. So there's a lot of players that will rather take their complaints elsewhere.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2014, 11:38:57 pm by Mindmaker »

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12079 on: June 03, 2014, 08:49:19 am »

I've never been a member, but in lurking I have noticed that kind of attitude there. Not that they're alone in this - a lot of 'home' forums for games seem to lean that way. It's why I prefer to discuss games I play in a more neutral place like this.
I couldn't agree more. The CataDDA forums for instance are positively toxic, and while I don't think the Tavern is as bad, there are a lot of patronizing 'you don't know what you really want' attitudes around.

With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12080 on: June 06, 2014, 02:58:17 am »

I've been playing the latest trunk version, and I've noticed that you cannot sacrifice anything to Nemelex Xobeh. Is anyone else having this issue, or am I just having a weird glitch?
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12081 on: June 06, 2014, 03:21:17 am »

Nem doesn't work that way anymore methinks. I think he gifts you cards for exploration, now.

guessingo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12082 on: June 08, 2014, 02:37:15 pm »

I can't get anywhere in this game. Best I have done is with a centuar hunter and that is to D:10. I played that one 25 times just to get to that. What is the most forgiving race/class combo and any guides on what skills to get etc... for that one? I have tried alot of the guides in the wiki.

TripJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12083 on: June 08, 2014, 03:21:40 pm »

MiBe is probably the most straightforward combo, it was my first win. The main skills to get are Axes, Armor, Fighting, and Dodging in that order. A ranged skill and/or evocations can be useful utility skills but are less important. The strategy is swingeth thy axe and batheth in the blood of thine enemies.

Graven

• Bay Watcher
  • Don't we all just love contact juggling?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12084 on: June 08, 2014, 03:25:09 pm »

Berserkers of all sorts are usually pretty straightforward. Get a MiBe or a GrBe for the best results. I'll try to explain as clearly as possible a generic newbie strategy - please do not be offended if the bellow seems overly patronizing - I have no idea of your general knowledge of crawl.

When you start the game open your skills training screen  - "m" - and switch to manual training, this allows you to only train skills you want, not whatever you're using most - "/" . Leave Fighting, Axes and Armour, with Axes being focused - the skill is bright white, the others are ... less bright.

You can use automatic skill distribution and just play, but you'll have to learn about skill micromanagement at some point, so might as well start with it.

Your main goal is to hit minimum delay on your weapon - the value is out right told to you in the later trunks. To do this, you need weapon skill that is two times the difference between your weapon's maximum delay and minimum delay. For example, if you're using a Hand Axe, it has a maximum delay of 1.3 and a minimum delay of 0.6. The difference is 0.7 so you want 14 axes skill.

Better players usually only train a single skill at a time, but levelling defensive skills gives you higher margin on error at the start, and that's something you need. Berserking will take care of the usual early threats if you're being cautious, so your offensive capabilities are better than usual.

Then play the game, berserk at threats, summon Trogbros whenever the situation seems even slightly scary. You'll learn by dying. Run away from everything that seems like it would be a problem. The biggest issue most newer players have is realising a situation is about to bollock itself about 5 turns after it has actually bollocked up, so much better to be safe than sorry

When using armour, try to have the encumbrance rating of your armour be lower than your Strength.

Don't forget to check out every new threat on the bots or the updated Learndb:
http://crawl.develz.org/wordpress/bots
https://loom.shalott.org/learndb.html

On the other discussion that's been going on - I like the devs' intention to do away with most of the annoying/useless legacy features, but it's a really hard edge to balance. There are already changes I find myself opposing just because it's not what I'm used to. I'm honestly ok with having a bunch of sweeping changes followed by a period of reconsideration, if the alternative is stagnation.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2014, 03:27:28 pm by Graven »
What a strange and beautiful world I beheld, but dangerous too, I was certain. And I was friendless and homeless. And so I prayed.
"Hear me, exalted spirits. Hear me be you gods or devils, ye who hold dominion here. I am a wizard without a home. I am a wanderer seeking refuge."

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12085 on: June 08, 2014, 05:31:52 pm »

If you get tired of generic berserkers (HOBe, MiBe, GrBe seem like the obvious choices) then you could try one of the really strong races.  Trolls are pretty excellent unarmed fighters, for instance.

guessingo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12086 on: June 08, 2014, 07:15:16 pm »

its amazing how people can give me newbie tips then drop lots of acronyms. I have no idea what the acronyms mean. 2nd guy mentioned bezerker,so I figure BE is a bezker. Mi I am guessing is a minotaur.

What god goes well with this race/class combo?

So if I use an axe like you describe above, I should train my weapons kill to 14 and stop? I looked in the wiki and don't recall any references to needing a certain skill level based on delay.

I dont know what this means:

"Your main goal is to hit minimum delay on your weapon - the value is out right told to you in the later trunks."

I get the delay part. but the second part about 'out right' in later trunks. Im using 14.1

guessingo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12087 on: June 08, 2014, 07:28:55 pm »

also can minotaur bezerkers learn bows or crossbows? I dont know if those skills get added later.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #12088 on: June 08, 2014, 08:21:02 pm »

its amazing how people can give me newbie tips then drop lots of acronyms. I have no idea what the acronyms mean. 2nd guy mentioned bezerker,so I figure BE is a bezker. Mi I am guessing is a minotaur.

What god goes well with this race/class combo?

So if I use an axe like you describe above, I should train my weapons kill to 14 and stop? I looked in the wiki and don't recall any references to needing a certain skill level based on delay.

I dont know what this means:

"Your main goal is to hit minimum delay on your weapon - the value is out right told to you in the later trunks."

I get the delay part. but the second part about 'out right' in later trunks. Im using 14.1

Races and classes are summarized by initials smooshed together, with race first and class second. I'm too lazy to look up a master list, but "MiBe" is a Minotaur Berserker (and my personal recommendation due to their strength and aptitudes,) "Gr" is a Gargoyle (who have a ton of neat abilities including innate resist Poison but lower HP than other races,) and "HO" is a Hill Orc.

The strength of the Berserker class (and other classes in that column) is that you start play worshiping a God and two pips of Piety: for the Berserker, that means you worship Trog the Wrathful, god of rage, mindless slaughter, and illiteracy. Trog likes it when you sacrifice corpses to him (by (p)raying over them, whether you killed them or not,) and when you use your "Burn Spellbooks" (a)bility, which causes spellbooks in line of sight to burst into flame. Trog hates magic users and nerds like that; he forbids you from using magic yourself (he forbids only spells and spellcasting, not magic from wands, scrolls, equipment, etc,) and is extra pleased when you kill wizards or any monster who casts spells. Incidentally, this is why Minotaurs make excellent berserkers; they have good aptitudes for the physical combat skills, but bad magic, so you may as well lock yourself out of it entirely and get some sweet God abilities instead!

The first pip of piety with Trog gives you the power to go berserk whenever you want, and it's a powerful ability. Berserk greatly increases the speed of your actions and your strength (and thus your HP and attack damage,) but has a cost in hunger (so you can't use it if you're Very Hungry or lower) and a limited duration, after which you are Slow and Exhausted (which prevents you from Berserking again until you are no longer Exhausted.) Basically, any time a fight looks to be going bad (and it's important to recognize this before you're almost dead) you can Berserk to slay your opponent and hopefully make it to safety. Note that while Trog does give you a chance to extend the length of a Berserk when you kill something, it's still not a great idea to use it against a huge swarm of monsters since if you run out of Berserk before you run out of monsters you'll probably be killed while Slow and weak.

The second pip of Trog piety gives you the ability Trog's Hand, which gives you increased magic resistance and Regeneration at the cost of hunger and a bit of Piety. This is a great ability if you're facing a big fight with weaker monsters, like orc swarms; the increased health Regeneration means that you can heal almost as fast as they can hurt you, which turns a dangerous attrition battle into a cakewalk. It's also handy to have up if you need to run away, since you'll keep regenerating if you run; that way, if you get boxed in or cut off you'll have the cushion of some extra HP to make your next move.

When Graven mentioned "Trogbros" he is referring to Trog's most powerful activated ability, Brothers in Arms, which you get at Piety ****. Brothers in Arms summons a friendly berserking monster to fight with you, usually some flavor of Troll or Ogre. There aren't many situations a friendly berserking Troll can't get you out of, assuming you remember to use it before you're in danger of being oneshot. It has a hunger cost and a significant Piety cost, so you can't really spam it, but it's hard to beat as far as panic buttons go.

When he mentioned "later trunks" he was referring to currently-being-tested development versions of the game, which you can play online. One of Crawl's design goals is transparency and not hiding important information behind meaningless flavor text and numbers. .14 is the latest stable release, and you still need to calculate delay manually.

To natter on about delay for a bit (I greatly misunderstood it when I started playing, which hurt me, I think) it's important to talk about what Weapon skill actually does for you. For one thing, it doesn't increase the damage you deal with your weapon, at least not directly; all it increases is the speed at which you attack. Actions in the game take time; if you look next to the Time counter, you'll see a number in parenthesis (e.g Time: 13093 (1.0)) The number in parenthesis is the amount of time your last action took. When it comes to weapons, you want to get it so that that number is at least 1 turn (so monsters aren't getting extra turns on you) and ideally you want it down to the weapon's minimum delay (so that you can get extra attacks on monsters!) You start at a given weapon's Base Delay, and every 2 ranks of the appropriate weapon skill reduce it by 0.1

For a MiBe specifically, I wouldn't worry about it too much because of the weapon you're looking for. One of Trog's benefits is that he will gift you with weapons and ammunition, meaning you can rely on him to get you something good. For a MiBe investing in Axes, that means an Executioner's Axe of some variety. You need 26 Axes skill to reach minimum delay with an Executioner's Axe; since 27 is the skill cap, you can see you don't have to worry about weapon delay or anything like that for quite a while; it's more important for other melee builds who use smaller weapons (and so don't need as much skill.)

also can minotaur bezerkers learn bows or crossbows? I dont know if those skills get added later.

You certainly can, and it's a pretty good idea. The reason you don't see those skills on your menu is because you haven't picked up a bow or crossbow yet, and you can't train the skill until you do. I frequently train crossbows with Minotaurs when I get the chance, since they're big, powerful, and have plentiful ammunition (later in the dungeon, at least; Crossbows are difficult to find early on.)

General newbie tips:

My golden rule: Cowards Win Crawl, or as my friend says, "100% fights." As in, if you aren't 100% sure you can kill a thing, try to find a safer way to deal with it, which may involve kiting it somewhere you can kill it in private, running away to buff up before taking it on, or just trying to avoid it entirely and skipping to the next floor (a good idea with Sigmund or Grinder.)

Identify your items! If you don't know what your options are, it's hard to choose the one that will save your life. Wands ID when you zap them, so there's no reason not to zap them right away. Scrolls are pretty safe to ID just by reading them; make sure to do it on a cleared floor. Scrolls of Identify are the most common scroll in the game, so by the time you get to D:4 you'll probably notice you have more of one scroll than any other; that scroll is probably Identify (or maybe Remove Curse or Teleport, both of which are pretty common and useful.) You'll probably also notice you have more of one potion than any other; that potion is probably Curing. Don't ID potions by quaffing them, since there are some unfortunate ones that can kill/cripple you, most notably Mutation. IDing weapons and armor by using them can be somewhat dangerous, particularly artifacts, so may want to use a scroll of ID on them when you find them.

Berserkers start with terrible terrible armor. The hierarchy goes Animal Skin < Robe < Leather Armour < Ring Mail < Scale Mail < Chain Mail < Plate, assuming you're just looking for the biggest toughest set you can find. This is in fact what I'd try to do as a MiBe, so just keep looking for armor with a higher AC bonus (your Dodging will take a hit, but I usually have Dodging off anyhow.)

You want to go through the game in a certain order, which isn't always obvious. In general, you want to clear the main Dungeon until you find the Lair of Beasts, then clear that to the bottom. Clearing Lair is a big milestone for a character, so good on you if you get that far! After Lair is done, you have the option to continue clearing the Dungeon (15 floors deep in total,) to clear the Orcish Mines (4 levels deep, and Orc:4 can be pretty hairy,) or to clear some of the side branches in Lair (Swamp or Shoals, and Snake or Spider, all of which are five levels deep have a rune at the bottom.) I typically start with Orc, then work through the first four floors of the Lair branches, then finish up Dungeon, then go for one or both Lair runes. Because you have options on which way to go at this point, it's a good idea to bounce to another branch if the floor you're working on is particularly spicy (hitting a tough unique is a good reason to go somewhere else for a while, for example.)

If you get through all that, you can check out the Vaults (which requires one rune to enter, but has lots of loot and a particularly brutal bottom floor) or the Depths (which is just gnarly in general, so tread carefully.) Vaults: 5 features a really tough ambush, but if you survive and get the rune you'll have the privilege of going to the Realm of Zot, which is also 5 levels deep and holds the Orb of Zot. Then all you have to do is fight to it, grab it, and run like hell back out of the dungeon!

The reason Graven dropped those links is because the Wiki is... less than good. It has inaccuracies, and the advice is rather hit or miss. If you can't find something on those links, ask in here.

For a MiBe approaching Lair, it's not a bad idea to turn off all your skills and get some points in Evocations, probably about 10. The reason is Hydras; they are tough monsters who regenerate and get tougher every time you attack them with a slashing weapon, like your axe. Unless you luck out and get a flaming axe, they'll be the first monster you can't reliably Berserk to death in melee. Evocations skill increases the power of the wands you have, and you'll probably have some wands of Fire or Cold or Draining or something you can save to deal with the Hydras you encounter. Evocations skill is handy in general, since the versatility casters get from magic is something you have to compensate for with Evokeable items you find on the floor.

Last but not least, have fun! It's the journey, not the destination; my career win rate is 1.05% across 287 games. Just remember that every time you die, there was probably something you could have done to either rescue yourself from the situation or, more commonly, avoid getting in that situation in the first place. If you're getting frustrated with a combo, try something else, even if it's really wacky and off the wall. Try to learn how to play a caster (Deep Elf Fire Elementalists (DEFE) are fun,) or play a Hill Orc Fighter and convert to Beogh when the opportunity presents itself (you can recruit Orcs you meet and basically become Orc Jesus,) or a Demonspawn Chaos Knight (you'll definitely die, but it'll probably be an amusing death thanks to Xom,) or a Felid anything (again, you'll definitely die, but you're a freaking housecat, what'd you expect?)

/wall of text

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12089 on: June 08, 2014, 08:30:46 pm »

Berserkers in general are very good - being able to go berserk at will from turn 1 is a major early survival boost, and Brothers in Arms (an ability you get later that gives you berserk allies) helps massively throughout the entire game.
Pages: 1 ... 804 805 [806] 807 808 ... 990