Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 805 806 [807] 808 809 ... 990

Author Topic: Dungeon Crawl: Stone Soup. Or: THAT DAMN SIGMUND.  (Read 1667811 times)

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeon Crawl: Stone Soup. Or: THAT DAMN SIGMUND.
« Reply #12090 on: June 08, 2014, 09:03:36 pm »

I wish I made better use out of the more passive god abilities. You'll rarely ever see me cast Trog's hand unless I'm about to die to poison or somesuch.

guessingo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12091 on: June 08, 2014, 09:29:49 pm »

why do i want to have armor with ecumbrance rating lower than my strength?

should a bezerker work on dex or str when you can raise stats?

how do i drop or pick up a limited number of items? i want to drop off a bunch of arrows in a stash. i cant figure out how to drop half of them
« Last Edit: June 08, 2014, 10:54:45 pm by guessingo »

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12092 on: June 09, 2014, 05:05:09 am »

Strength is (almost) never worth it, even more so now that equipment weigth is gone.
The only times where you might consider it is when you find an early Crystal Plate Armour or Gold Dragon Armour on a character without natural strength gain. Your regular Dragon Armours have 11 encumberance and work well without investment.
Also an archer might want to have 14-15 strength considering how ranged combat works.

My first ascension found Armour of the Dragon King early (unique Gold Dragon Armour) and subsequently put all of his points in Strength. It really didn't help much with my evasion (EV) rating and I only lived because my armour class (AC) was insanely high.
Would I have put my points in dexterity instead, then my defensive ratings would have been noticeably better.

Current meta is basically Intelligence if you cast spells beyond lategame self-buffs (Haste, Repel Missles can be cast with base intelligence and enough skills in the schools) and Dexterity for everyone else.

tompliss

• Bay Watcher
  • Goodbye ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12093 on: June 09, 2014, 05:10:55 am »

Especialy with a Minotaur berserker (one of the highest base strength race, with the highest strength background). You'll want dexterity nearly always.

Moron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12094 on: June 09, 2014, 07:11:32 am »

To natter on about delay for a bit (I greatly misunderstood it when I started playing, which hurt me, I think) it's important to talk about what Weapon skill actually does for you. For one thing, it doesn't increase the damage you deal with your weapon, at least not directly; all it increases is the speed at which you attack.

Actually, it does increase the amount of damage you do per hit, but the amount it increases is insignificant compared to the amount of extra damage you do by attacking faster.

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12095 on: June 09, 2014, 07:25:14 am »

Mindelay is overrated for earlygame.

Rule of thumb is enough skill to kill dudes and then enough skill to not-die-from-dudes.
So in practice bring your primary weapon skill to 5-6 and then your primary defense skill (armour or evasion) to 5. Afterwards repeat. Works well enough for me.
If you notice that your skill development is slowing down, you can train some of your secondary combat skills (fighting and the defense skill that isn't your primary one).

For me mindelay is simply a cap, where putting more points into doesn't benefit you as much (even though you'll max your weapon skill anyway later).

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12096 on: June 09, 2014, 07:51:33 am »

Strength is (almost) never worth it, even more so now that equipment weigth is gone.

Not quite sure about this. If you're running around in plate (or similar), all the levelup dex in the world isn't going to noticeably increase your evasion until you train dodging. You're probably not going to touch dodging until you've got a decent amount of armour and fighting, maybe invocations, and mindelay on your weapon. That's pretty late in the game. If you go with str, you get a damage bonus immediately. And, IIRC, the damage bonus from str/dex was made actually kind of significant lately. Str just happens to be more significant. Plus Str will increase your evasion too, just to a lesser degree.

What I'm saying is that if you're planning on minmaxing your endgame defenses, you can go dex. If you want a right-now impact on your damage, go str. Your only punishment will be a few missing EV points in Zot.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2014, 07:53:08 am by Rex_Nex »

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12097 on: June 09, 2014, 09:52:16 am »

Current meta is basically Intelligence if you cast spells beyond lategame self-buffs (Haste, Repel Missles can be cast with base intelligence and enough skills in the schools) and Dexterity for everyone else.
This was true a few versions ago, but armour has been revamped to depend more on strength.  Item weight was never much of a factor so that hasn't changed anything.  Basically the current advice is mostly
- raise int if you want to cast a lot of spells
- raise str if you want to wear heavy armour
- raise dex if you don't want to do either of the above
As a "normal" berserker you'll probably end up wearing heavy armour due to your inability to cast spells, so str seems like the natural choice.  A bit of dex might not hurt though.

Dr Feelgood

• Bay Watcher
  • The Dwarven Barricade
    • View Profile
« Reply #12098 on: June 09, 2014, 10:16:03 am »

Intelligence affects everything related to casting (spell success, spell power, etc.). Pick it if you plan on playing a caster.
Dexterity has a large effect on evasion, and to a lesser extent Stealth. Pick it if you're playing a stabber or evasive fighter.
Strength affects armor penalty, carrying capacity, and to a minor extent damage.

Larger-than-average races (Ogres, trolls, etc.) have a noticeable EV penalty. Just pick str. I would probably pick dex for a MiBe, but I prefer EV. It doesn't matter that much.

Edit: Beaten by Leafsnail.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12099 on: June 09, 2014, 10:20:38 am »

I've just downloaded trunk. Monsters seem to blink out of combat randomly. What's up with that?

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12100 on: June 09, 2014, 10:22:48 am »

Which monsters?  And are you using distortion or dispersion?

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12101 on: June 09, 2014, 10:25:27 am »

Like, adders, orcs. Anything really. I'm not using anything fancy. I tried a few demonspawn gladiators, and it happens right off the bat.

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12102 on: June 09, 2014, 10:43:41 am »

Item weight was never much of a factor so that hasn't changed anything.
It was on some casters and archers. 8 was the absolute minimum for inventory management and 14-15 for the full damage bonus and a decent amount of arrows on archers.

How exactly was it changed? The armour/strength thing.

guessingo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12103 on: June 09, 2014, 11:49:13 am »

Cleared Lair, Orc Mines. Not real hard. but hd good eq and level 14.
cleared level 13 of regular dungeon. Going to finish dungeon

Level 14:
Skills: Axe: 22, fighting 9, armor 12, evoc 10
100% axes

EQ: Battleaxe of AM (+5,+4) first god drop so got lucky, Executions axe of electrocution (+3,+0), handaxe of distortion in stash in lair
Crossbow of Cold (+8,+2). only have 21 bolts so not training crossbow yet
Plate Armor (+0) of Magic Resistance
Cloak +2 of Magic Resistance
Ring of Evasion+1, Ring of Evasion+3, Ring of fire
Amulet of Corrosion (worn), Amulet of rage
Variety of wands. Found a deck/rod dropped off in stash
Positive Trait: Talons

AC: 16 (i used my enchant armors on another plate to get to +4. figure AM is better)
EV: 11
Stats: Str 23,Dex 14

Shops a bit dissapointing. Got the Executions Axe from it. bought out scroll of identify, heals, remove curse. There are a couple of enchant weapon scrolls sitting at them.

I did notice that God Gifts are based on items you have. So dropping of Crossbow (got that from god gift) and just carriny Battleaxe and executioners axe to concentrate gifts. Get alot of them. Have not needed to use the God Skills often.
Nice supply of heals/Cure. Did use several in orc mines. Made the mistake of not using bezerk. etc.. and needed to heal.
Several wands of varying types.
Have a rod of something or other and a deck and some other magic items in stash in level 2 of lair.

Doing ok, but dont want to die at this point. Most Roguelike, mid to late game is easier than early game. Dont know about here.
WAnt to get axe to 27 to get delay down so doing 100%. will switch to crossbow if I can actually get a nice supply of bolts.

Got lucky with a couple of things
first got gift was the battleaxe. Huge difference. Got a potion of positive mutation early and added the talons. Seems a very nice complement with horns.

hopefully not dead by the time people reply. Playing a little now...
« Last Edit: June 09, 2014, 11:52:02 am by guessingo »

guessingo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12104 on: June 09, 2014, 12:01:41 pm »

not sure what happened. I got a god gift. it was a battle of distortion. it asked if i wanted to take it off which si wierd and cast me into the abyss. Huh? i have taken off distortion items before. why did this happen?
Pages: 1 ... 805 806 [807] 808 809 ... 990