Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 318 319 [320] 321 322 ... 990

Author Topic: Dungeon Crawl: Stone Soup. Or: THAT DAMN SIGMUND.  (Read 1665896 times)

FilthyMonkey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeon Crawl: Stone Soup. Or: THAT DAMN SIGMUND.
« Reply #4785 on: February 24, 2011, 09:34:19 pm »

Sure, rMut is good if you have it.  Always good to minimize the amount of risk you take.  Slime can certainly be completed without rMut though.  I wouldn't let the lack of it stop you from moving a character forward, and thus would not consider it essential.  If you are a caster, butterflies is good against the eyes, as it breaks their line of sight.  The trick works for neqoxecs too. 

The kobold I just ascended didn't find rMut the entire game, but I wouldn't exactly let that stop me.  I mostly relied on sneaking up on the shining eyes, and for neqoxecs I would give them a +7 silver bolt to the head as soon as they came in line of sight.  I still ended up with a horrible array of mutations, but they were mostly from cacodemons.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2011, 09:39:10 pm by FilthyMonkey »

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4786 on: February 24, 2011, 10:08:39 pm »

Sure, rMut is good if you have it.  Always good to minimize the amount of risk you take.  Slime can certainly be completed without rMut though.  I wouldn't let the lack of it stop you from moving a character forward, and thus would not consider it essential.  If you are a caster, butterflies is good against the eyes, as it breaks their line of sight.  The trick works for neqoxecs too.

One problem: Slime itself isn't essential. In a game where I haven't found rMut yet, I simply wouldn't do Slime... unless maybe if I had a bunch of Cure Mutation potions handy.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4787 on: February 24, 2011, 10:44:07 pm »

As goons have rightly said, this is a dying simulator. 18 turns and I'm dead. Oh well.

Heh, I've got the same problem.  The only time I ever get anywhere is when I play troll berserker.  Otherwise I either get killed by orcish wizards or an ogres club.

I have been having better luck playing casters. My current focus is kobold air elemental. Kobolds aren't the best casters ever but they do get affinity for stealth (usually helps you get the first move against an enemy, instead of getting pelted as soon as you enter LoS, and late game lets you get into range for other spells) and dodging (moar EV = gud), and being able to eat everything is handy in ignoring your food clock. The air elemental book lets you learn Mephetic Cloud within two or three spell levels, letting you cheese much of the early game (aided by your affinity for stabbing too), although its mana cost can be prohibitive for a while. The very first couple levels can be dangerous, you'll have lure near corners or walls so you can double zap with Shock. The first big risk are usually hydras (poison immune) or uniques where cloud is not reliable, but you can either flee them or use wands. If you're lucky (maybe following vehumet, sif) you'll get a book for throw icicle/IMB. I don't recommend lightning bolt because it is extremely loud and doesn't offer many opportunities to multizap before you end up getting a better nuke or freezing cloud anyway.

Eventually you get Tornado and roflstomp everything. I found a staff of energy clearing Elf, which wasn't too useful at the time because Tornado wasn't reliable without wizardry. But once I started in hells, wow. Try to stick to halls that are at least two tiles wide, and Tornado everything if it's in range. Hard bosses get lured into range, tornado, then pelt with poison arrow or whatever. Since there's no point in exploring other than the :7s, I have been through two branches and am still at very full.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2011, 10:47:49 pm by Niveras »

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4788 on: February 24, 2011, 11:01:11 pm »

So far I've been getting my toes wet trying to play a little of everything. All that I've had mild success in is taking a centaur paladin around town, pumping dex.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #4789 on: February 24, 2011, 11:11:21 pm »

I almost exclusively play kobold summoner. Personally
I would prefer kobold wizard with summoning book for the
extra magic but the book just does not have the quality
of summon spells I need to survive later so I tough it out
through the hard beginning.
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4790 on: February 24, 2011, 11:13:50 pm »

I should mention that Vehumet's mana return on killing, as well as an orb of energy (evocations up to 15), are a really big reason that I can spam tornado so much. With the orb I could probably switch to a different god, though it's not good to rely on the orb since you can lose a huge chunk of int (or all your mana, even if you're not waiting until your low).

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4791 on: February 25, 2011, 07:23:14 am »

Mummy isn't generally a race I would suggest for people new to the game though.  I know the 'no eating' thing is attractive, but their apts really, really suck.

I'm not new to the game, just not very good at it. :P The 'no eating' thing gets pretty powerful after you get Sif Muna and a couple of decent spells. I'm spamming fire bolt with wild abandon, and recovering all my mana in about ten turns before moving onward. Not sure where I should focus with the really powerful spells, though. I could train either fire or air for fire storm or tornado respectively, but memorizing both would use way too many spell levels. Not nearly there yet, of course.

FilthyMonkey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4792 on: February 25, 2011, 08:24:38 am »

Compare that to a deep elf though.  Deep elves have much better int gains and much better apts, so they'll be casting the really powerful spells much, much sooner than a mummy.  They can learn necromutation to bring them off the food clock and gain undead resists just like a mummy.  Firestorming liches are an old staple of high rune crawl games.  Mummies take a ridiculous amount of scumming to get anywhere near the power level of other races.

If you really have to go mummy though, I would suggest going for an ice elementalist.  The main reason is that ozocubu's refrigeration is very well suited to mummies.  Ozocubu's deals cold damage to everything in sight, including you, and never misses.  Mummies start with resist cold, and it shouldn't be a huge challenge to find some more.  In addition, since you can't drink, you don't have to worry about Ozocubu's cracking any of your potions.

Antioch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4793 on: February 25, 2011, 10:09:51 am »

For the slime pits I recommend one thing above all:

FIRESTORM
You finish ripping the human corpse of Sigmund into pieces.
This raw flesh tastes delicious!

Mr.Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4794 on: February 25, 2011, 10:39:45 am »

Remember that +5 or better equipment is immune to corrosion. CPM, dwarven, and +3 or +4 equipment will probably get by fine if you have rCorr or conservation to back it up. I strongly recommend wearing junk randarts through slime since not only will that increase your AC, but uncovered slots result in increased acid damage per slot. But the point is, even if you don't have randarts to fill your slots, stick your second-best equipment in those slots. I say second-best because even +3 stuff will probably get corroded once or twice, and Slime is the only time you'll use your second best equipment anyways, so might as well use it now!

(CPM and dwarven resist 4/5 times, rCorr or conservation resist 9/10 times, and +4 resists something like 68% of the time. These all stack.)
Youtube video of the year, all years.
Hmm...I've never been a big fan of CCGs - I mean, I did and still do collect Pokemon cards, but I never got heavily into the battling and trading thing.

By definition that makes you a fan since you still buy them.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4795 on: February 25, 2011, 11:49:37 am »

Remember that +5 or better equipment is immune to corrosion. CPM, dwarven, and +3 or +4 equipment will probably get by fine if you have rCorr or conservation to back it up.

Conservation has nothing to do with it. That just protects scrolls and potions from destruction due to fire/cold damage.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #4796 on: February 25, 2011, 01:27:46 pm »

Figures.  First time I make it to the temple on a guy that isn't already worshiping something, and all of the altars but like two are Lugonu.
Shoes...

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4797 on: February 25, 2011, 01:51:01 pm »

Any temple-guaranteed altars not in the temple will still be in the dungeon, between levels 1 and 9 (or 11?) or something. So don't sweat it too much.

boatie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4798 on: February 25, 2011, 06:30:48 pm »

I've gotten to the point lately that unless some random bad stuff happens early I can get to about level 10 or 12 as a Spriggan Enchanter fairly regularly and it's so weird how much accomplishment that makes me feel.

Mr.Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4799 on: February 25, 2011, 10:47:54 pm »

Remember that +5 or better equipment is immune to corrosion. CPM, dwarven, and +3 or +4 equipment will probably get by fine if you have rCorr or conservation to back it up.

Conservation has nothing to do with it. That just protects scrolls and potions from destruction due to fire/cold damage.

Conservation was changed in trunk to also protect against item damage. You can check the description if you want. There's no damage reduction, though, so you still want rCorr.
Youtube video of the year, all years.
Hmm...I've never been a big fan of CCGs - I mean, I did and still do collect Pokemon cards, but I never got heavily into the battling and trading thing.

By definition that makes you a fan since you still buy them.
Pages: 1 ... 318 319 [320] 321 322 ... 990