Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 317 318 [319] 320 321 ... 990

Author Topic: Dungeon Crawl: Stone Soup. Or: THAT DAMN SIGMUND.  (Read 1665891 times)

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeon Crawl: Stone Soup. Or: THAT DAMN SIGMUND.
« Reply #4770 on: February 24, 2011, 10:09:47 am »

I hope i have enough armor now to go to Zot
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Mr.Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4771 on: February 24, 2011, 10:40:21 am »

I'm impressed you can cast in CPM. Sure, it's level one spells only, but still, that's amazing. The worst part is you can still get more AC and SH with a few more ?oEA for your boots and shield or by getting a large shield. I think you could wind up with over 55 SH if you can find a large shield, even if it is unbranded. Reflection isn't a great brand generally since most beings are immune or at least resistant to their own ranged attacks. Exceptions are footaurs, elves, and uniques. Mostly this makes it useless against nagas, dragons, and demons.

You also need more rF and rC to really take on Zot. This hopefully means you can find a ring with that. Trust me, rF++ is much better than 8 AC or a nice slaying bonus.
Youtube video of the year, all years.
Hmm...I've never been a big fan of CCGs - I mean, I did and still do collect Pokemon cards, but I never got heavily into the battling and trading thing.

By definition that makes you a fan since you still buy them.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #4772 on: February 24, 2011, 11:19:21 am »

I have some rings of wizardry that i need to actually wear to cast those spells half reliably, it's surprising how much those rings can be efficient (though if they were less efficient, there would be no reason to use them), as i would have never believed i could cast anything with such heavy armor.
The reflection has been usefull in some situation i guess , as i had seen a centaur killing himself by shooting at me several time actually.

I have a bunch of rings in my stack too, in fact i have a bunch of so much everything in it (i tend to have collected so much items in Lair:1 that i lost track :D ) that i'm unsure on what to take with me in Zot, but i'll take your hint and keep some fire protection.

I have a pile of wand but with all those Zot monsters that have very high MR, is it not a waste of inventory space to take any wand (out of wands of teleport) ?

What surprised me the most during this run is to survive both Abyss and Hell. Something i never survived in previous games.
So much that i even got the Abyss rune by spending an insane amount of time walking in it

The AC improvement really make a gigantic difference in 0.8 from my previous AC based character in 0.7/0.6 there are lots of battle this character survived some really though battles in those branch only because he could take more hits than in previous version of crawl (and as i came out nearly dead from those battles, i can only guess it would have killed my character in 0.7/0.6 with too nerfed AC).

Though i must say that i switched to Shining One before Hell after reading a lot of hints about this switch being very important for survival in there.
And indeed it really helped (especially to resist Hell regular curses) and faith rank while killing demons and undead increased so quickly than when i reached the bottom (i was in Iron city of Dis) i could summon several angels and survive the battle with Dispater (though despite the angels help i was not far from death after that.

0.8 finally may be really the most balanced version of all, giving AC focused characters as much chances as EV based ones.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4773 on: February 24, 2011, 12:41:08 pm »

Reflection isn't a great brand generally since most beings are immune or at least resistant to their own ranged attacks.
Reflection is a great brand, because it makes the OTHER guy resist the attack rather then you.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Mr.Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4774 on: February 24, 2011, 01:55:20 pm »

Only attacks that you've already blocked are reflected. It's fine, but it's worse than rC, rF, or even better, resistance.
Hmm...I've never been a big fan of CCGs - I mean, I did and still do collect Pokemon cards, but I never got heavily into the battling and trading thing.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4775 on: February 24, 2011, 02:51:00 pm »

Also, reflecting an attack doesn't give its full range back.

It's not useless, but I'd take any other ego property (protection, resists, etc.) over it. Probably fun against yaktaur packs, though.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Jar of Jam

• Bay Watcher
  • [ITEM_FOOD:ITEM_FOOD_JAM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4776 on: February 24, 2011, 05:56:26 pm »

As goons have rightly said, this is a dying simulator. 18 turns and I'm dead. Oh well.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4777 on: February 24, 2011, 05:59:10 pm »

As goons have rightly said, this is a dying simulator. 18 turns and I'm dead. Oh well.

Heh, I've got the same problem.  The only time I ever get anywhere is when I play troll berserker.  Otherwise I either get killed by orcish wizards or an ogres club.
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4778 on: February 24, 2011, 07:42:46 pm »

I got a rune! :D The mummy magician defeated the hydras and swamp dragons and walked away with the decaying rune of Zot! This is the second game ever where I've gotten my hands on any runes. I'm now in the Vaults, mowing down slime creatures and mimics with my elite magic skills.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4779 on: February 24, 2011, 07:44:23 pm »

Careful. Vaults:8 is one of the harder branch endings. I'd go down to Vaults:7 at the most, then do Shoals or Snake Pit, whichever you have. If you've already done Orc and Hive, of course.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4780 on: February 24, 2011, 07:49:55 pm »

Yeah, I wasn't planning on raiding Vaults:8 just yet. I got there once before, with a SpEn of Nemelex, and it was basically full of gold dragons and ancient liches and other assorted horrorterrors. I'm thinking of clearing the Vaults down to seven, scouring the last few Lair levels, Shoals, then maybe Crypt and Elf. I actually haven't even found the Hive yet, so delving deeper into the main dungeon should also be on the agenda. The third lair branch is Slime, and none of my armour is corrosion proof, so I'm not going anywhere near there.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4781 on: February 24, 2011, 07:52:29 pm »

Slime is a pain in the ass. You need a source of rCorr (not just for the corrosion resistance, but for the rAcid+ it gives you), a source of rMut (unless you're a race who can't mutate), and either a source of Dig or the ability to take occasional damage from walls. Oh, and the ability to survive really fucking nasty fights with hordes of jellies and the like, especially The Royal Jelly, which doesn't heal over time but is fast, strong, and can split other tough jelly monsters out of itself.

Mr.Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4782 on: February 24, 2011, 08:35:43 pm »

Slime is guaranteed to generate, by the way.

FilthyMonkey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4783 on: February 24, 2011, 09:12:42 pm »

Slime is a pain in the ass. You need a source of rCorr (not just for the corrosion resistance, but for the rAcid+ it gives you), a source of rMut (unless you're a race who can't mutate), and either a source of Dig or the ability to take occasional damage from walls. Oh, and the ability to survive really fucking nasty fights with hordes of jellies and the like, especially The Royal Jelly, which doesn't heal over time but is fast, strong, and can split other tough jelly monsters out of itself.
One thing I would add is some good rC.  Azure jellies can hit pretty hard if you don't have a lot of rC.  rMut is good, but probably less important than rCorr.  Dig is more important for the treasure vaults than for the walls.  The wall damage doesn't matter much.  Just replace any non artifact gear you have with random unbranded garbage before you go in.

Slime is a place you probably shouldn't bother with until you get a couple ascensions under your belt anyway. 

I just did slime yesterday with my KoBe, and ended up letting two Trog buddies deal with the royal jelly.  After it was dead I cleaned up the spawned stragglers and collected the loot.

I ended up getting 15 runes with with said KoBe today.  I've 15 runed before, but with the safety of spells like controlled blink.  All of the hell/pan lords went down except for Antaus.  Even managed to one shot stab Asmodeus, which amused me.
http://crawl.develz.org/morgues/trunk/FilthyApe/morgue-FilthyApe-20110225-004606.txt

I got a rune! :D The mummy magician defeated the hydras and swamp dragons and walked away with the decaying rune of Zot! This is the second game ever where I've gotten my hands on any runes. I'm now in the Vaults, mowing down slime creatures and mimics with my elite magic skills.
Grats.  Getting your first rune is a real accomplishment.  Mummy isn't generally a race I would suggest for people new to the game though.  I know the 'no eating' thing is attractive, but their apts really, really suck. 

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4784 on: February 24, 2011, 09:15:32 pm »

One thing I would add is some good rC.  Azure jellies can hit pretty hard if you don't have a lot of rC.  rMut is good, but probably less important than rCorr.  Dig is more important for the treasure vaults than for the walls.  The wall damage doesn't matter much.  Just replace any non artifact gear you have with random unbranded garbage before you go in.

Replacing your gear with garbage can be tough, since it is a legitimately hard branch.

That being said, I consider rMut essential, as Shining Eyes can and will fuck you up six ways from Sunday if you let them. You don't want to get to the Royal Jelly with a bunch of bad mutations, nor do you want to use up your Cure Mutation potions.
Pages: 1 ... 317 318 [319] 320 321 ... 990