Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 302 303 [304] 305 306 ... 990

Author Topic: Dungeon Crawl: Stone Soup. Or: THAT DAMN SIGMUND.  (Read 1666190 times)

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeon Crawl: Stone Soup. Or: THAT DAMN SIGMUND.
« Reply #4545 on: January 12, 2011, 07:53:34 pm »

That's silly. Invocations, Evocations, and items are not Spellcasting, unless you think that everything magical is a spell. ::)
Every spells you personnally cast on a creature or on your character is ... a spell.
Not all spells are using the Spellcasting ability, that's all.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4546 on: January 12, 2011, 07:54:22 pm »

So do potions count as spells as well? Or is there an FDA medication exception clause? Are they homeopathic!?
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #4547 on: January 12, 2011, 07:56:19 pm »

*sigh*

Dr.Feelgood

• Bay Watcher
  • The Dwarven Barricade
    • View Profile
« Reply #4548 on: January 12, 2011, 07:58:52 pm »

Every spells you personnally cast on a creature or on your character is ... a spell.
Not all spells are using the Spellcasting ability, that's all.

...so divine abilities granted by your god (invocations), like channeling a berserk rage, transferring skills, etc. are spells?
« Last Edit: January 12, 2011, 08:02:13 pm by Dr.Feelgood »

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #4549 on: January 12, 2011, 08:00:09 pm »

Are you casting the mutation ?
« Last Edit: January 12, 2011, 08:07:08 pm by Robsoie »

Dr.Feelgood

• Bay Watcher
  • The Dwarven Barricade
    • View Profile
« Reply #4550 on: January 12, 2011, 08:06:34 pm »

Are you casting the mutation ?

Edited my previous post. No, you don't "cast" the mutation. You can cure it with invocations (i.e. praying to your god) though. Do you consider that a spell?

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #4551 on: January 12, 2011, 08:07:26 pm »

(took from my previous post edit to there)
In my understanding term of divine magic, if it costs magic points, it is some kind of divine spell you're casting, if it costs only food/faith, it's not a spell but a divine ability you're using

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #4552 on: January 12, 2011, 08:08:43 pm »

Invocations, evocations, spellcasting, yes. These are the marks of the hybrid.

I'unno, maybe it's a stat thing. Pure Int dudes don't really need anything besides int. Pure dex ones have stabbing and stealth, which get borderline broken at higher levels. Pure strength gets... armor, which has only just become non-crap again, and melee/crossbows, neither of which is going to get you through the game without god-aid.

I really doubt anyone here would be disappointed if most everything besides th'spellcasting/invocation/evocation skills recieved some sort of emergent abilities as they reach higher levels. Spellcasters get new abilities (spells), invokers and evokers get new and more reliable ones. Everyone else gets jack. Well, they get better at what they had, but they get nothing new. That's kinda' boring, and inequitable in comparison.

It's not like it's something massively difficult to implement into a RL. I can name at least a half-dozen that does it right off the top of my head (Heng, T4, Steamband, Incursion, Dungeonmans, Caves of Qud) and there's more beside. All we'd really like to see, I'd think, is stuff like mighty blow, maybe a charge attack or short-range pierce or crap, yanno'? Something so we get more than +1 to hit/dam and some speed improvement from getting another level of Axes, while the fire-spitting dude gets to puke fireballs out 'is arse for the same gain.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

agatharchides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4553 on: January 12, 2011, 08:18:20 pm »

Heck, my understanding is that the +x, +y stats on weapons are supposed to represent enchantments, as are the +x stats on armor. Then there is the magical ability of certain armors to protect you from fire, cold or whatever. I am sure one could, if one wanted to, win without using spells (just play any fighter type) or invocations. I've heard of greater feats, like clearing Zot 5 with 20 max HP.  That said, I don't see the point. Basically everything in this game is 'magical', if you want a game with no magic of any kind you are just playing the wrong one.

Having won with a melee/caster hybrid and a stealth character, I have to dispute the idea that stabbing gets better in the endgame. Once your sleep spells no longer work reliably, you  are pretty much out of options when a monster wakes up and shouts, which one will sooner or later. I crushed Hell, Pan and Zot to get a 9 rune win with my Merfolk using a bardiche of holy wrath, my Spriggan barely got away with a 3 rune win, and I was mostly just using straight melee with a quick blade by then. That said, casters do have more diverse options than melee, which is why I usually play a hybrid or pure caster.
Memento Mori

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4554 on: January 12, 2011, 09:44:08 pm »

Once your sleep spells no longer work reliably, you  are pretty much out of options when a monster wakes up and shouts, which one will sooner or later.

Not entirely. There's stabbing from being invisible, and from distracting/confusing/paralyzing your opponents, and things like that. Granted, it's not nearly as good, but it can still cause pretty massive damage.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4555 on: January 12, 2011, 10:16:03 pm »

Also, demonspawn assassin + shadow mutation. I've gotten to Zot on the back of that and a little decent gear in the past, and I didn't have especially high sneak skill or extra speed. Or invisibility. Only non-god spell I had was butterflies. I've never had any trouble at all with straight melee combat with either spriggans in general or the aforementioned spawn as long as I take things carefully, so...

Mr.Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4556 on: January 13, 2011, 12:40:15 am »

I dispute that Int-only characters are the ultimate mages. Now that Dex contributes to Dodging, high Dex will save your life. I mean yes, sometimes Int-only is the way to go, but at least now fairly high Int and Dex is a feasible character build.
Youtube video of the year, all years.
Hmm...I've never been a big fan of CCGs - I mean, I did and still do collect Pokemon cards, but I never got heavily into the battling and trading thing.

By definition that makes you a fan since you still buy them.

agatharchides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4557 on: January 13, 2011, 01:17:49 am »

It's true you have more options than just hibernation as an enchanter, and also true that they aren't that much use against, say, a pan lord or even a shadow fiend. Never done demonspawn, though to be honest, where enchanter types start to flag is about where Zot starts. If you want a 3 rune win a stealth enchanter is one of the best, for Pan I'd have to say they are pretty weak. 
Memento Mori

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #4558 on: January 13, 2011, 01:24:48 am »

Strategy for Dungeon Crawl 0.8 Trunk:
1. Pick race and class.
2. Go ash.
3. Tornado everything.

This works for all classes except Demigods. They just have to skip straight to step 3.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4559 on: January 13, 2011, 01:26:13 am »

It's true you have more options than just hibernation as an enchanter, and also true that they aren't that much use against, say, a pan lord or even a shadow fiend. Never done demonspawn, though to be honest, where enchanter types start to flag is about where Zot starts. If you want a 3 rune win a stealth enchanter is one of the best, for Pan I'd have to say they are pretty weak.

Of course, if you're doing Pan and the Hells and such, odds are you've branched out by then. A spriggan can easily branch out into other schools of magic, which... at least helps.
Pages: 1 ... 302 303 [304] 305 306 ... 990