Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 301 302 [303] 304 305 ... 990

Author Topic: Dungeon Crawl: Stone Soup. Or: THAT DAMN SIGMUND.  (Read 1666136 times)

Antioch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeon Crawl: Stone Soup. Or: THAT DAMN SIGMUND.
« Reply #4530 on: January 11, 2011, 05:29:13 pm »

Well, my first character this year finally got killed by Boris, annoying fact is that I didn't notice Boris because he went invisible and I was running for a portal (DOH). No runes, but he had full elemantal resistance and rn+++ with other armour, getting the swamp/abyssal rune would be easy and vaults would have also been doable.

favorite part:
 25999 | D:12    | Noticed Nessos
 26015 | D:12    | Nessos changed into Nessos the elephant
 26019 | D:12    | Defeated Nessos the elephant

I actually usually polymorph Nessos, last time he was a beetle.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 11, 2011, 05:32:46 pm by Antioch »
You finish ripping the human corpse of Sigmund into pieces.
This raw flesh tastes delicious!

Tinker Thinker

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRESSES_BUTTONS:RED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4531 on: January 11, 2011, 07:10:43 pm »

A note on the summoner that got smited - the summoner, completely devoid of healing/teleporting items, and playing a fairly slow race (mummy (note: couldn't heal with items /anyway/)), was running /away/ from a pack of gnolls/hobgoblins etc. that had accumulated due to picking up more during desperate attempts to escape, and ended up with a rock and hard place situation with a group of orcs in the only remaining direction of travel.

And, I'd say I have pretty miserable luck with items, in that a you recommend wands, as if they're something you find on a regular basis, but I think I saw two wands total during my play on that day.
Does anyone else find my avatar looks crooked?

ShadeJS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4532 on: January 11, 2011, 10:15:55 pm »

First Ascension Post:

In completely unrelated news, for the first time since I started playing this game about a year ago, I have a High Elf Air Elementalist, who's more of a Fire Based Conjurer / Enchanter in Zot:5 (in version .7). I'm sooo close, though I've probably jinxed it by mentioning it. The thing is that I don't have much time per day to play and I'm taking this very slow... If my guy doesn't die he should be out of the dungeon for Christmas. (Well, maybe tonight if I get the time.)

In some ways this Character had all of the hallmarks of a real loser. First, uugh Air. Good on paper, especially for HEs, but hard to keep alive. I found a reasonably early book of flame so that helped with that. Also, despite clearing Elf:7, the bottom of the Vaults, and going through hell (not literally) to get 20 healing potions to get into a treasure trove, I've gotten a pretty unkind spread of artifacts especially with respect to mutation and corrosion resistance. But here I am... (And with one potion of cure mutation left, at lv. 27, with maxed conjurations in Zot:5, slowly murdering my way though the guys coming out of the vault.)

With the above quote you're pretty much up to date on the character. But I left for Christmas, and was only playing for short bursts, as I was in some pretty tough fighting and didn't want to die. Well, finally got to the Orb, Apported it, and fled the dungeon in one final go. I basically used Extension with a combo of Repel Missiles, Swiftness, and Fly for the whole way up, with some Controlled Teleports for good measure.

A massive turn count-- In no small part because of needing 20 healing potions for an Imp, and trying to find a source or rMut that I never did find.

The way up wasn't all that bad. A little anti-climatic really. Probably because I emptied the vault before I got to it with my incessant use of Firestorm and the Orb was just there, followed by a game of dodge the demon on the way up. Maybe a little more sizzle when you escape with the Orb, and a more interesting Orb run would be in order.

Here's the interesting part of the dump:

888514 Shade the Annihilator (level 27, 115/136 (140) HPs)
             Began as a High Elf Air Elementalist on Nov 25, 2010.
             Was the Champion of Sif Muna.
             Escaped with the Orb!
             Jamessp's game lasted 1day00:17:41 (225682 turns).

Here's the most of the rest:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

YAYY!!!

agatharchides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4533 on: January 12, 2011, 10:55:25 am »

Congrats. :) I'm impressed you pulled off a win with such sparse resistances, did you meet many orbs of fire?

Does anyone know how to make it so you stop travelling when your Deflect Missiles and Necromutation spells start to run out? I am extending them but I always have to recast them when I use autotravel, which is getting annoying with Necromutation. :(
Memento Mori

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4534 on: January 12, 2011, 11:07:08 am »

Does anyone know how to make it so you stop travelling when your Deflect Missiles and Necromutation spells start to run out? I am extending them but I always have to recast them when I use autotravel, which is getting annoying with Necromutation. :(

http://crawl.chaosforge.org/index.php?title=Extension#Changing_init.txt

Here are some examples of how to do that sort of thing. Of course, you'll need to fiddle with the individual messages you're adding, but that's how you filter for things like that.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

agatharchides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4535 on: January 12, 2011, 11:53:57 am »

Hm, are you sure? I found the runrest.txt in the settings which seems to have all those commands, but adding more doesn't get the desired results. I tried adding such lines to the init but nothing happened, and I can't find anything in the init that looks like it controls such filters.  ???
Memento Mori

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #4536 on: January 12, 2011, 02:02:19 pm »

I'm quite sad how the game seems to push people more and more into spellcasting. It would be nice if there was a chance to win non-spellcasters. Seems pretty...theoretical now.

Antioch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4537 on: January 12, 2011, 02:28:35 pm »

I'm quite sad how the game seems to push people more and more into spellcasting. It would be nice if there was a chance to win non-spellcasters. Seems pretty...theoretical now.

why so pessimistic? I just posted a pure fighter character that reached level 20, he could have certainly won if it wasn't for my own stupidity.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #4538 on: January 12, 2011, 02:38:40 pm »

Well, Might and Haste given by Okawaru are spells.

Maybe an interesting forum challenge to make would be to have each of us playing a character that would not use any spell and would not worship any deity (and so never use any deity given spells) and see how far we can go.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4539 on: January 12, 2011, 02:40:21 pm »

Well, Might and Haste given by Okawaru are spells.
I think that's starting to push it.  You don't need any magical background or ability to cast them.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #4540 on: January 12, 2011, 02:44:45 pm »

It's kinda' th'point being made though, innit'? That a character can't get by without dipping into mystical mumbo jumbo.

At the very least, I'd be interested to see if someone can survive using strictly consumable resources. No god-granted abilities, no magic spells, no rods/staves. Only wands, scrolls, and potions -- and those only because survival without isn't even worth considering as a possibility.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Antioch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4541 on: January 12, 2011, 02:59:26 pm »

Well that was rather the case, as you can see I had 0 invocations, never used haste (very poor succes) and might perhaps 5 times, but I don't believe that really made the difference.

It really isn't THAT hard when you just play careful, pick your fights and use travel exclusions to avoid running into strong enemies again.

but it also rather odd to purposely handicap yourself by saying that haste and might are spells and thus should not be used, and then say that fighters can't win.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #4542 on: January 12, 2011, 06:15:21 pm »

I never said god given spells should not be used as you're free to play as you wish, but as Frumple pointed it just proves the point as it shows that fighter characters will always have to use some kind of spellcasting (magic, divine, scrolls or item based ones) to get around the game, and can't rely only on their fighting abilities to get to endgame. Spells are a part of the needed assets for survival.

Anyways,
Mummy Chaos Knight of Lugonu can be a very fun combo, if you manage to get a bit lucky and survive long enough to have access to Lugonu spells.

I started with Mace as a skill (my goal being to increase the Mace skill a lot and find some Ogre giant mace) and to my own surprise, that mummy is always alive and is now level 11 (not yet explored Lair or Orcs).
I started with Mace as a skill and to my own surprise, that mummy is always alive and is now level 11 (not yet explored Lair or Orcs).
And while in the dungeon, it killed after slowing it down with a wand an Ogre early that had a +2,+2 giant mace.
Chaos Knight beginning always with a +2,+2 weapon helped a lot to survive as i found a few weapon scrolls spells to increase it to +4.

But what truly made a difference is  certainly because i found early (floor 2 i think) a +2 Orcish Scale Mail and before temple, 3 armor spells that leads that the armor early to become a +5 (max enchantment in trunk for this category of armor) Orcish Scale Mail, meaning a nice level of AC and not too crippling the EV that really helped the survival of that mummy.

Later i found a +2,+2 Giant Mace on an Ogre, that malus to accuracy is not that important as i have now a good skill level in mace/flail.

Few time later, the last Lugonu power to kick in, the distorsion brand.
So i planned to get to the Abyss using Lugonu power and then find an altar to get the giant mace branded.
And so i used the Lugonu spell.
Oh surprise that i was not expecting, -very bad- surprise : a Lugonu altar on my Abyss arrival screen.

Why very bad surprise then ? ... because i never thought the faith cost of the Lugonu power to go into Abyss would be that high, when i landed in Abyss i got the message that branding weapon was not anymore an ability for me ! basically the enter Abyss spell costed a whole faith level.
Something i didn't knew as i never went that far with any character and Lugonu.

Now that's not fun at all, i exited the abyss using another Lugonu given spell, *sigh*.

So beware, try to find some crappy distorsion weapon and wield/unwield them until you're self banished instead of using Lugonu power to get to the Abyss if your goal is a Lugonu altar and you haven't found one yet.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4543 on: January 12, 2011, 07:14:55 pm »

I never said god given spells should not be used as you're free to play as you wish, but as Frumple pointed it just proves the point as it shows that fighter characters will always have to use some kind of spellcasting (magic, divine, scrolls or item based ones) to get around the game, and can't rely only on their fighting abilities to get to endgame. Spells are a part of the needed assets for survival.

Honestly, I have to question if this is even a bad thing. After all, all classes do have access to those things. Even a troll berserker can successfully use scrolls, wands, rods, potions, Trog abilities, evocable equipment, misc. evocable items, and I forget what else.

I started with Mace as a skill (my goal being to increase the Mace skill a lot and find some Ogre giant mace) and to my own surprise, that mummy is always alive and is now level 11 (not yet explored Lair or Orcs).

I'm pretty sure only trolls and ogres can equip giant clubs/giant spiked clubs. Giant maces are two-handed for normal characters though.

Why very bad surprise then ? ... because i never thought the faith cost of the Lugonu power to go into Abyss would be that high, when i landed in Abyss i got the message that branding weapon was not anymore an ability for me !

Yeah, presumably the reason for this is that it's a basically perfect get-out-of-trouble device. Granted, the Abyss isn't much fun to be in, but it's also easier to leave when you're going with Lugonu.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Dr.Feelgood

• Bay Watcher
  • The Dwarven Barricade
    • View Profile
« Reply #4544 on: January 12, 2011, 07:24:17 pm »

I won with 3 non-casters since 0.6.

It's kinda' th'point being made though, innit'? That a character can't get by without dipping into mystical mumbo jumbo.

At the very least, I'd be interested to see if someone can survive using strictly consumable resources. No god-granted abilities, no magic spells, no rods/staves. Only wands, scrolls, and potions -- and those only because survival without isn't even worth considering as a possibility.

Almost everything in Crawl is magical, including wands, scrolls, and potions.

That's silly. Invocations, Evocations, and items are not Spellcasting. You can probably win using nothing magical, but that would become tedious and boring quickly.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2011, 07:54:51 pm by Dr.Feelgood »
Pages: 1 ... 301 302 [303] 304 305 ... 990