Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2053 2054 [2055] 2056 2057 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3065793 times)

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #30810 on: September 05, 2017, 02:26:37 am »

It's definitely coming that a teacher is going to beat Bakugo to heck. Whether or not that makes him more or less villanous, who knows.

As for 'Knights n' Magic'.
It's too shounen. It's like they've rigidly adhered to every single tickbox of the shounen genre.
It's log horizon set to beige.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #30811 on: September 05, 2017, 05:06:53 am »

So I decided to start reading My Hero Academia, or whatever the heck it's called.

I like it, so far. Seems that superpower plots with genuine, caring heroes are becoming somewhat rare nowadays. Everyone has dark secrets or twisted motives, everyone's gotta angst, the idols everyone looks up to are frauds, etc. That sort of thing is fine, but the heroes in this manga are refreshing in how they act so...heroic. Not all of them, of course - if that Kacchan kid doesn't become a villain at some point I'll be amazed - but most of them. The idol-hero is either an amazing actor or genuinely cares about helping people. One dude has a game-breaking power but uses it primarily in natural disasters or search-and-rescue operations instead of battle. The teachers put their lives on the line to protect their students. The students (Kacchan excepted) support and assist each other. It's nice.

I'll probably start watching the anime before long, especially since I hear it's got a quality English dub. Roughly how far along is it? I'd like to keep the manga plot ahead of the anime plot.
If Bakugou becomes a villain I'd be surprised because he acts waaaaaay too villainous to be a villain, if that makes any sense.

In the sense that it would be too obvious of a plot twist?
It's not even going to be a plot twist. Everyone talks about how villainous he acts. I can see there being an arc where he struggles a little with doing good, but he himself had stated several times that he doesn't want to be a villain.

Plus, Endeavour is a bigger, more villainous asshole than Bakugou, and he's the 2nd Pro Hero.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #30812 on: September 05, 2017, 05:27:20 am »

he himself had stated several times that he doesn't want to be a villain.
Well, most textbook villains don't see themselves as villains.

Plus, Endeavour is a bigger, more villainous asshole than Bakugou, and he's the 2nd Pro Hero.
True, but we don't know all of Endeavour's true motives.
Sure, he wants his son to succeed him (and beat All Might). But I think there is more to it than just that.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #30813 on: September 05, 2017, 06:33:23 am »

There's no way Bakugo becomes a villain. His character is too in line with the negative aspects of Big Heroism in-universe: He's got that "It's all about me, I save people because it makes me look cool" internalized.

It's a pretty clear point that the author is making, I think, that heroes aren't always Heroes. Sometimes people do heroic things because they're an asshole, and sometimes villains do villainous things because of heroic traits. It doesn't make the villain right, and while it might make the hero unlikeable, it doesn't make them weak either.

It's actually a pretty interesting take.

Also in the Manga the villains thought exactly the same thing about Bakugo and he told them to Bakugo fuck themselves.

E: fixed
« Last Edit: September 05, 2017, 12:24:09 pm by Karnewarrior »
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Types So Much As Punches The Keyboard
    • View Profile
« Reply #30814 on: September 05, 2017, 06:41:17 am »

*Snips*
Spoilerz, man.
Seriously, we won't be seeing that for a while.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2017, 06:45:35 am by Execute/Dumbo.exe »
He knows how to fix River's tiredness.
Alan help.
IronyOwl   But Kyuubey can more or less be summed up as "You didn't ask."
15:52   IronyOwl   Whereas Dungbeetle is closer to "Fuck you."

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30815 on: September 05, 2017, 07:57:01 am »

What I like about Bakugo's no hero academia is that the show has something of a grounding in reality: Heroes aren't just allowed to be wildcard vigilantes, there's rules, regulations, licensing, training, transparency, about everything you'd expect from a career like that if it were in real life. And villains are (seemingly) not just 2-dimensional Saturday morning cartoon villains that are evil just for the sake of being evil, they're frequently radical idealogues or people that are just understandably angry and isolated because of the severity and randomness of quirks frequently making people into freakish monsters. If the show ever took a dark turn, I wouldn't be surprised to see if there are ghettos full of people with quirks that are either too disgusting or dangerous to allow them to be in 'normal' society, and that these people are legally discriminated against. It's about as realistic as you can get in a show where people just randomly get crazy insane superpowers.

That being said, I don't think Bakugo'd become a villain, since his motivation for being such an angry shit is really simple teenage confusion stemming from him being the top dog at his old school, and then getting placed into a school with peers of similar power, and that his lifelong 'friend' who was worthless and weak up til now is now rivaling him in power almost overnight. Otherwise, he doesn't really have anything against society, and he has strong pride that makes him want to achieve his goals fair and square.

After watching Plague's video about Tien in DBZ Super (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42HNvl0e26I&t=0s) it pretty much summarizes all the problems I had with DBZ. That there was just a huge cast of characters, but literally only a small handful actually mattered. The moment a character's role in the story ended, if he wasn't initially popular with the audience, he'd get ignored, killed off, or marginalized to uselessness. I think it just shows that there's no love for the craft with the disregard for the long running continuity and the unwillingness to put effort into developing a less-liked character so that they could change and grow organically into a more likable one if popularity is the only thing that matters.

Plus I think the fights just got stupider over time, with a bigger emphasis on flashy beam attacks and less on strategy or technique. It'd have been cool the ultra-strong characters were placed into a situation where their ultra-strength didn't mean shit, that'd be more interesting. But then again, I guess I'm not the target audience anymore.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #30816 on: September 05, 2017, 11:02:12 am »

I thought Super's audience were DB fans from way back, and Tien went from semi-boss fight to important backup to useless to clinch-backup with early Cell.

Paxiecrunchle

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm just here, because actually I don't know*shrug
    • View Profile
« Reply #30817 on: September 05, 2017, 01:56:41 pm »

So is the new adaptation of digimon adventure any good?  I remember seeing an episode but then having mixed feelings and getting caught up with some other things at the time, and I also remember the other more recent entries being...mediocre(cross wars and application monsters) does this one get better?

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30818 on: September 05, 2017, 06:43:55 pm »

It's too shounen. It's like they've rigidly adhered to every single tickbox of the shounen genre.

Just be glad you're not watching "In another world, with my smartphone". Who's entire content is more or less explained in the title. His phone can do anything and he's just magically good at everything (through no effort of his own). At least he's not as smug as the Mahouka guy, but he gets everything falling in his lap a little too easily. Especially girls. Ans when I say "good at everything", that's literally a main plot point. Possibly the laziest writing in any otaku-other-world series I've ever seen.

Shoukoku no Altair is probably a little better than Knight's and Magic, since there are ups and downs, not just ups.

BTW: Made in Abyss is a pretty solid adventure series as well.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2017, 07:46:20 pm by Reelya »

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30819 on: September 05, 2017, 09:40:14 pm »

Just be glad you're not watching "In another world, with my smartphone". Who's entire content is more or less explained in the title. His phone can do anything and he's just magically good at everything (through no effort of his own). At least he's not as smug as the Mahouka guy, but he gets everything falling in his lap a little too easily. Especially girls. Ans when I say "good at everything", that's literally a main plot point. Possibly the laziest writing in any otaku-other-world series I've ever seen.

Shoukoku no Altair is probably a little better than Knight's and Magic, since there are ups and downs, not just ups.

BTW: Made in Abyss is a pretty solid adventure series as well.
Him being good at everything is almost the ONLY main plot point. It's the impetus for more or less everything that happens, when important people go to him and ask him to use his super convenient magic for them.

Although while it may be a shitty narrative, at least it's a light-hearted and pleasant one. The sort of anime that it's good to have going on a spare screen while you relax and maybe do something else, even if not one you'd want to spend the entirety of your focus on.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30820 on: September 06, 2017, 09:14:34 am »

Anyone else figure the whooshing and blinging sounds in the intro of knights n magic detract from the music?

Edit: also, the smartphone anime.  It ain't really about using the smartphone in awesome ways to get ahead.  More about Gary StuSue's OPness.  And his growing harem.(That he doesn't even boink.)
« Last Edit: September 06, 2017, 11:36:53 am by Zangi »
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Antioch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30821 on: September 07, 2017, 05:42:59 am »

DBZ had a large hand in shaping the shounen genre.

But it is also shounen at its worst.
You finish ripping the human corpse of Sigmund into pieces.
This raw flesh tastes delicious!

Paxiecrunchle

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm just here, because actually I don't know*shrug
    • View Profile
« Reply #30822 on: September 07, 2017, 09:06:24 pm »

I thought bleach was shounen at its worst :-/

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #30823 on: September 07, 2017, 09:20:29 pm »

I thought bleach was shounen at its worst :-/
No, Naruto is shounen at it's worst. :P
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #30824 on: September 08, 2017, 08:45:45 am »

Speaking of which, I've been watching the new Berserk continuation.

I really don't understand why they feel the need to just make the same point over and over again or just dialogically reiterate what has just seen happening. The first season felt like it could be summed up in about three or four episodes just by cutting out all the repetition.
Love, scriver~
Pages: 1 ... 2053 2054 [2055] 2056 2057 ... 2193