Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2052 2053 [2054] 2055 2056 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3065969 times)

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #30795 on: August 18, 2017, 02:37:27 pm »

Y'all are wrong. Saitama just does the hero thing as a hobby. He does want money and fans, but he doesn't want them super intensely. He doesn't want anything super intensely in fact, his character is largely about ennui (and isolation) so looking too hard for driving motivations is an inherently misguided method of analyzing the work.

He did do the C-class which was a lot of work... you don't really go through that unless you REALLY want to.
REALLY want to or REALLY need the money. A lot of C-class heroes (Mumen/Licenseless Rider the obvious exception) seem to treat crimefighting as a combination of job and PR opportunity.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30796 on: August 27, 2017, 06:50:43 pm »

I picked up Gamers! and those cute dorks are actually a ton of fun.

It seemed like it would be stupid from the description, but actually even though the characters themselves are dumb, it's great fun and feels realistic.

We'll see what happens in the future, but Pine Jam is looking like the up-and-comer in comedy right now.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2017, 10:31:52 am by Cruxador »

SomeKindOfGnome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30797 on: September 02, 2017, 11:45:01 pm »

I recently finished NGE and End of Evangelion, and man...
I cannot deal with this Shinji hate I see everywhere.
Literally all of the angst he showed throughout the entire series was justified. He went from being a normal student with a mostly normal life to being literally the only person who could save the world.
If that wouldn't make you have multiple nervous breakdowns, I don't know what would.
I don't understand why people expected him to be a brave and fearless pilot who holds back no punches.

Every single time he whined and cried, I didn't doubt it. I didn't think "Well, that's not realistic for a 14 year old to do."
I would do the exact same in his position.
Combine that with everything that happened to him, and he's believable as heck.
I guess how sympathetic you are towards him really depends on your age while watching it, but...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
/end rant

Anyways, NGE is a really good show, and I reccomend it to everyone who likes mechs, giant alien fights, and screwed up people as main characters. The last two episodes + EoE were amazing and complimented each other like peanut butter and jelly.
Signature? I hardly know 'er.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30798 on: September 03, 2017, 02:45:41 am »

I think the anime of the season is going to be Princess Principal. The current sales numbers think so too, but in a more subjective valuation, it's a great action anime with well-placed sakuga, and also has well written plots and cute girls. Generally a winning formula.

Paxiecrunchle

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm just here, because actually I don't know*shrug
    • View Profile
« Reply #30799 on: September 03, 2017, 01:24:06 pm »

So is anyone else watching A Centaurs Life?  I think it has promise, at least because it's world building is absolutely fascinating, even if slice of life type shows aren't as my usual preference.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30800 on: September 03, 2017, 10:00:21 pm »

So is anyone else watching A Centaurs Life?  I think it has promise, at least because it's world building is absolutely fascinating, even if slice of life type shows aren't as my usual preference.
I know the manga was very popular among a certain set (though it helped that it came in the early days of the monstergirl craze, before the market was saturated) but I haven't heard much discussion of the anime. How's the adaptation? Is it well done as an anime, or does it rely only on the narrative strength that already existed?

Paxiecrunchle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30801 on: September 03, 2017, 11:20:43 pm »

I don't think it stands out as an independent entity but it's well animated the voice acting is very good,  and I love how they're handling characterization throughout the series.

My only problem is that the introduction seems way too obnoxious, it wants me to take it seriously, but it also wants to show me fan service at the same, which I find annoying because it's tonally inconsistent.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #30802 on: September 04, 2017, 04:28:36 am »

Centaur fan service? ...no thanks
Love, scriver~

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #30803 on: September 04, 2017, 06:50:03 am »

Just started watching 'Knights & Magic'.
Was never really a fan of the gundam genre, but figured I'd give it a shot anyway.

Turns out the thing keeping me from enjoying big stomy robots is them being weathered as heck.
It's simultaneously made me really enjoy the series, and also has me in abject trepidation for when the protagonist makes his, because the rules of shounen says it has to be glossy and perfect forever.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30804 on: September 04, 2017, 01:22:43 pm »

Gave it a try based on that recommendation; it was on my radar already.

I'm only into the second episode but I gotta say, the main thing this anime is doing is make me want to read the LNs. As is often the case with book adaptations, it seems like there's tons of little worldbuilding details that are referenced but without the books, it's not really possible to know why they're like that.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #30805 on: September 04, 2017, 01:36:49 pm »

So I decided to start reading My Hero Academia, or whatever the heck it's called.

I like it, so far. Seems that superpower plots with genuine, caring heroes are becoming somewhat rare nowadays. Everyone has dark secrets or twisted motives, everyone's gotta angst, the idols everyone looks up to are frauds, etc. That sort of thing is fine, but the heroes in this manga are refreshing in how they act so...heroic. Not all of them, of course - if that Kacchan kid doesn't become a villain at some point I'll be amazed - but most of them. The idol-hero is either an amazing actor or genuinely cares about helping people. One dude has a game-breaking power but uses it primarily in natural disasters or search-and-rescue operations instead of battle. The teachers put their lives on the line to protect their students. The students (Kacchan excepted) support and assist each other. It's nice.

I'll probably start watching the anime before long, especially since I hear it's got a quality English dub. Roughly how far along is it? I'd like to keep the manga plot ahead of the anime plot.
If Bakugou becomes a villain I'd be surprised because he acts waaaaaay too villainous to be a villain, if that makes any sense.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Wolfhunter107

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30806 on: September 04, 2017, 01:46:21 pm »

So I decided to start reading My Hero Academia, or whatever the heck it's called.

I like it, so far. Seems that superpower plots with genuine, caring heroes are becoming somewhat rare nowadays. Everyone has dark secrets or twisted motives, everyone's gotta angst, the idols everyone looks up to are frauds, etc. That sort of thing is fine, but the heroes in this manga are refreshing in how they act so...heroic. Not all of them, of course - if that Kacchan kid doesn't become a villain at some point I'll be amazed - but most of them. The idol-hero is either an amazing actor or genuinely cares about helping people. One dude has a game-breaking power but uses it primarily in natural disasters or search-and-rescue operations instead of battle. The teachers put their lives on the line to protect their students. The students (Kacchan excepted) support and assist each other. It's nice.

I'll probably start watching the anime before long, especially since I hear it's got a quality English dub. Roughly how far along is it? I'd like to keep the manga plot ahead of the anime plot.
If Bakugou becomes a villain I'd be surprised because he acts waaaaaay too villainous to be a villain, if that makes any sense.

In the sense that it would be too obvious of a plot twist?
Just ask yourself: What would a mobster do?
So we butcher them and build a 4chan tallow soap tower as a monument to our greatness?

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #30807 on: September 04, 2017, 01:53:00 pm »

The dude's acted pretty nastily at times. His desire to pummel the MC is so strong, and his powers lend themselves so well to killing people, that I fully expect him to break down into outright villainy before long.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Paxiecrunchle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30808 on: September 04, 2017, 01:58:18 pm »

Centaur fan service? ...no thanks

In the opening only, which is to say that someone other than the main team probably put together the opening, or that it was made before details of the shows universe were made to those making it.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30809 on: September 04, 2017, 08:09:04 pm »

What do they call reishi in the English dub of Bleach? Do they just call it reishi? I forgot.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.
Pages: 1 ... 2052 2053 [2054] 2055 2056 ... 2193