Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1915 1916 [1917] 1918 1919 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3073105 times)

RoguelikeRazuka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #28740 on: September 03, 2016, 04:15:57 pm »

Speaking about JJBA, Joseph Joestar might well be the first and so far the only anime/game/book/another-kind-of-fiction character that I would love to meet in real life and know directly, because just how grand a person he is.

Now that I think about it, such character actually could also be Dio, especially if I were able and willing to find and punish him myself for his misdeeds and everything he did to Joestars lol. All of this may sound corny, sure, but I have to say also, that if anyone ever asked me how I imagine sheer evil to look like, were it a person or other living thing, I would most probably know how I should answer that question.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

As for the manga/anime itself, I prefer Phantom Blood over Battle Tendency overall because of a better story and Dio being a more impressive villain than any of the pillar men (IMO). Although I absolutely adore the first episodes of part two (up until that one wherein they meet Lisa Lisa), maybe rating that portion even higher than the whole of Phantom Blood, the sizeable remainder of Battle Tendency seems rather flawed in my vision, mainly for the poor explanation of some of ridiculous stuff taking place (or its having questionable foundation)

« Last Edit: September 04, 2016, 04:41:05 pm by RoguelikeRazuka »

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #28741 on: September 03, 2016, 05:17:37 pm »

Also come on guys, Familiar of Zero was pretty decent. Admittedly the fanfiction tends to be better than the show but that seems to be a lot of anime (FROM FAKE DREAMS *cough*)
FROM FAKE DREAMS

*twitches*

Nope. Nope NOpe NOPE NOPE NOEPN EOPNE OP NEP EON NEOPE EN POEN EOEPN
...wasn't that the one that eventually took a running jump off of FSN territory into Naruto-esque shounen shenanigans, or am I misremembering?
I'm definitely not getting a super shounen feel to it. It reads more death note than Naruto.

That said, ffd!Shirou has a tendency to toe the line of mary sue without quite crossing over. He's super smart, is building a harem, fights on the level of a servant, and has really great hair. But the harem is mostly accidental (in true shirou style), he's a pretty shitty servant for combat, and a lot of his plans have significant humps that require him to make sacrifices. IMO, he deals with logical consequences to his actions, even if he's OP. So i like FFD.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #28742 on: September 03, 2016, 06:03:41 pm »

RERORERORERORERO

EDIT: Oh god and now the "menacing" kanji on a toilet ROFL. India is a terrible place...
« Last Edit: September 03, 2016, 06:11:33 pm by BFEL »
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28743 on: September 04, 2016, 04:57:42 am »

I think Food Wars has become kind of boring and tedious.

To the extent where I am surprised they haven't made a joke about how our main character likes to waste people's time a lot. (wasting people's time is a theme in this show... "Here eat this... Ok that is the fake food... now here is the REAL food")

Yet to explain why it got tedious look no forward to the joke that the Head of the school goes naked whenever he eats food that is good enough.

He has done this basically every single episode for like 10+ episodes (a bit of an exaggeration as there have been one-two episode breaks). Any joke the show has they make sure to drive into the ground.

It also doesn't help that the show has fallen into the trap of just completely skipping the cooking process entirely. While Master Cooking Boy has done it, they also focused very closely on exactly what goes into making dishes a lot of the time as well (In fact a few contests were won ENTIRELY because of the process made to cook)... As well as varying things up a bit (heck the contests are a bit more interesting too).

At LEAST it hasn't fallen into the "Cooking Network" trap of forgetting entirely about the food.

---

I mean... Detective shows are seriously addicted to their Locked Room mysteries but I always find them entertaining.

---

Also bonus points to Food Wars for another freeken anime where they have a "He has no talent" character...

Who has supernatural effort skill that essentially makes him a Prodigy... as well as a mental quirk that makes him inhuman (he has no "I can't" mechanism).

"Ohh man, look down on yourself ordinary people!"... Yes because ordinary people have the ability to obsessively pour themselves over a single activity every single day for the rest of their lives... and you know... Ordinary people have been taught by the best of the best...

Damn it anime stick to elitism! you just can't do egalitarianism! Just say he is a New-Type :P... Not every anime can be Legend of Galactic Heroes.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2016, 05:02:14 am by Neonivek »

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28744 on: September 04, 2016, 06:40:37 am »

I was thinking of the exact same thing Neon, about the elitsm thing, cause saying "He hasn't got talent!" and then cutting to where he was fathered and raised by a guy that's a world famous super chef and all around cool and worldly man's man, and spent his entire infancy and early childhood in a kitchen practically... I'm reminded of a bit on television showing Tiger Woods' early childhood, and how his parents had him ingratiated in golfing since he could both stand and hold a golf club, would you call Tiger Woods untalented because he was raised in that environment and didn't have god given golf skills that he didn't have to work for? No, you wouldn't.

Spoiler: saving grace (click to show/hide)

Plus, I like that the show tries to model good behavior, habits, and sportsmanship for the impressionable and young members of it's demographics. Well, ignoring Ryo Kurokiba...
« Last Edit: September 04, 2016, 06:42:16 am by JoshuaFH »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28745 on: September 04, 2016, 06:48:26 am »

I am holding off on praising it for that yet Joshua.

Because as I unfortunately learned... sometimes the reason that never happens is because the show can't handle it and forces them to just immediately hit the brakes. It is what they do in light of it that will make all the difference.

It is very likely we will pay for it later. If not then Yay!

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28746 on: September 04, 2016, 07:25:39 am »

So am I imagining things or is Anne (the loli stowaway girl) going to be Jotaro's love interest?
Lets go over some things
1. She's obviously crushing on him
2. He's already fondled her (and lets face it, he didn't HAVE to do that to figure out she was a girl, she practically held up a neon sign shaped like a vagina)
3. DAT ASS (makes me wanna RERORERORERO)
4. She's the only girl he's shown anything resembling interest to
5. ???
6. Profit

Indeed, I do this.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28747 on: September 04, 2016, 07:36:57 am »

Jotaro's only true love is

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28748 on: September 04, 2016, 07:43:11 am »

Just like how Jotaro's father is

You know, considering that the show is all about the Jojo family tree, there's an awful lot of family members that are never shown or named.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28749 on: September 04, 2016, 07:50:09 am »

Jotaro's father is a musician named Sadao Kujo, you just don't see him.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28750 on: September 04, 2016, 07:53:39 am »

Was that stated at the start of Stardust Crusaders? Cause I only remember that he was a Jazz Musician and nothing else.

Darn memory.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #28751 on: September 04, 2016, 08:36:39 am »

Yeah, Jonathan was sort of a bland protagonist, but I felt that having him be the goodiest two-shoes ever actually worked really well in the context.

Newest episode of DiU is also pretty gud :v
My complaints about Jonathan aren't that he's bland or a goody two shoes, but that he's insufferably SUBMISSIVE. Dude is a total doormat to Dio before the mask gets involved. I mean for fucks sake the dude HORRIFICALLY MURDERED YOUR DOG, and your response is to....continue living peacefully with him for years?!?!

But yeah, Joseph pretty much made up for all that shit. He might be my favorite protagonist of any show.

Also, I'm EXTREMELY happy that that loli girl was told to fuck off and was never mentioned again.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2016, 08:39:29 am by miauw62 »

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28752 on: September 04, 2016, 08:44:03 am »

Jotaro's only true love is
Headcanoning it to be Anne then.

Also am I the only one who thinks Jotaro is the least interesting protag yet? Actually ALL the protags in Stardust Crusaders are bland compared to the ones that came before imo. I mean for fucks sake Joseph went from the best thing ever to an old man who takes photos. That's what he does now. He doesn't plan plans around the plans that others planned around his plans, he just takes pictures. Of a naked dude. Over and over. Nice job ruining the best thing Araki-kun.

But yeah, all Jotaro has is "bog standard edgelord protag #999999"
Oh, and a kickass fashion sense. He has that too. His outfit is the most interesting thing about him.
So other then secretly being Charlie Brown (good grief!) he doesn't do anything for me.

So we went from Japanese batman to boring edgelord. JJBA is starting to lose me again.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2016, 09:01:58 am by BFEL »

Indeed, I do this.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28753 on: September 04, 2016, 08:57:11 am »

"Anne" wasn't named in the manga at all. It fits.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #28754 on: September 04, 2016, 09:19:36 am »

Jotaro gets better, especially in DiU (which takes place 10 years later, and wherein he isn't the protag), but he grew on me towards the end of SDC too. The thing to remember is that he literally IS a 17-year-old trying his hardest to seem detached (it's easy to forget since everybody is drawn as a 20-something bodybuilder).

And yeah, it's sort of sad how Joseph was changed, but again, Araki probably didn't want him to steal Jotaro's spotlight. He luckily does get a few good scenes and he is often depicted as being the person that has the plan and knows where they're going.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.
Pages: 1 ... 1915 1916 [1917] 1918 1919 ... 2193