Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1854 1855 [1856] 1857 1858 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3066562 times)

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #27825 on: June 08, 2016, 06:09:47 am »

Prior to gg subs picking it up, there was a set of subs released for the first episode by a random guy on 4chan which was picked up by most streaming websites which is the one you watched. gg's version doesn't quite translate it directly either, but the translation of the show as a whole is of better quality. Though from comparison of both lines I have to assume that the rest of his sentence in the original was contextually specifically referring to taunting along the lines of specifically referring to promiscuity since in gg's version it still had him calling them whores and I think I once saw people commenting on the translation being not too far off? But then again gg also has a reputation for throwing in in-jokes into their subs as could be seen in those screenshots I linked earlier, and the difference between the rest of that specific line's translation was different enough between each version as to be somewhat bizarre despite both being explicit, so it's up in the air.

So in the end the answer to the question of your assumption is... yeah, probably yes. But also maybe not.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2016, 06:39:27 am by Furtuka »
It's FEF, not FEOF

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #27826 on: June 08, 2016, 06:31:53 am »

It's because the japanese usage of bitch is actually closer in meaning to slut than the normal english use, most likely. Oddly enough, it's probably the better translation.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #27827 on: June 08, 2016, 12:54:43 pm »

It's because the japanese usage of bitch is actually closer in meaning to slut than the normal english use, most likely. Oddly enough, it's probably the better translation.
^

Also, if it was that one loudmouthed asshole who swears constantly, it fits. Considering that he's constantly yelling at just about everyone and everything about how he's going to literally rape them with guns.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27828 on: June 09, 2016, 07:04:08 pm »

You know... I am going to miss the MOST AMERICAN VILLAIN EVER!!! From Hajimo No Ippo.

He was probably the most humorous villain ever (outside maybe Team Rocket... Love you team rocket!) for me.

JasmineJas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27829 on: June 10, 2016, 09:03:56 am »

I really enjoy that (most) anime are "made to end." Not only that, but can appreciate the artistic work, and anime doesn't have the same constraints that live action does. It also encompasses many genres that are, perhaps, unconventional.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27830 on: June 10, 2016, 11:45:55 pm »

I binged through Detroit Metal City. It's juvenile and cringey as hell at times, but it's unabashedly funny and shameless.

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27831 on: June 11, 2016, 02:37:03 am »

So I saw the most recent episode of koutetsujo no Kabaneri. After reading the r/anime thread on this episode where many people were miffed by the events of the episode. And after watching it it does feel like the series has gone and jumped the shark... slightly. I mean this is the steampunk show with heavy metal zombies and trains and I still felt my suspension of disbelief flying right off the rails (huehue). That one girl fires a laser beam with the destructive power of saitama's punch, which came out of no-where. But the real problem was the villain, he just starts being comically evil... because... I guess he felt like it.

I guess my instincts were hoping for a sympathetic villain, or IDK... a character, but the guy just turned into skelator that episode, and I got totally taken out of the show.

I'm still not dropping it, since the show has been so good up to now.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27832 on: June 11, 2016, 03:29:45 am »

Well, I'm going to start giving Mayoiga a look now. Not many people watching that? I like the whole creepy village concept in general, where people go mad or get picked off one by one. Some anime club is running this btw:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Where you photoshop it to be your guesses, then they get scored as the season goes on. And who wouldn't love a show with a character named Soy Latte?

O.W. was wondering why Mayoiga has low scores? It kinda seems like that's the way for all non-shonen animes. E.g. look at this season's MAL chart ordered by scores, and you see the top 6 scores are all strongly in the category of "shonen magical battle" series: bright and colorful with a lot of zap and kapow going on. But if you look at previous seasons, almost none of those types of show end up in the top 6.

I'd be surprised if this season was all about magical battles "just because" whereas previous seasons weren't about that. More likely: a different type of person votes after only one episode has aired, than the people who finish a series, then vote.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2016, 03:58:45 am by Reelya »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27833 on: June 11, 2016, 03:42:11 am »

Yeah that is a very odd thing to do. I mean, I've watched a LOT of animes and if there is one thing I can say is you really can't judge them by their first, second, or often even third episode... Or sometimes even half the freeken anime.

HECK if I rated that anime about a guy being forced to do good deeds for cats I probably would have rated it pretty generously (maybe not that high but still) but it turned into a Harem anime 0-stars!

Or Yamino Pastichie which I did like and had some VERY unique qualities for an anime (Not making the main character a Mary Sue in spite having a special ability OR making that special ability the focus of her abilities) but WOW was I bored the first few episodes.

I mean usually animes use the first few episodes to sort of set everything up. They are usually not representative of the main series.

Heck Western shows are a lot like that. It is a rule of thumb never to make the pilot the "First episode" (though it has occurred) but rather a typical episode.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2016, 03:46:31 am by Neonivek »

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #27834 on: June 11, 2016, 11:03:29 am »

Started watching Initial D again, even though I never finished it last time. Music~<3

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #27835 on: June 11, 2016, 11:28:55 am »

Started watching Initial D again, even though I never finished it last time. Music~<3
NEW ROMANCE IN MY HEART WITH YOU LOVE IS IN DANGER.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #27836 on: June 11, 2016, 11:46:56 am »

To my understanding most of the people I know who've seen Mayoiga say they haven't been able to stand it because of what terrible people most of the cast is. Which from what I can gather is at least partially the point, but if you go past a certain level there's really not much that can be done to bring people past that.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2016, 11:49:12 am by Furtuka »
It's FEF, not FEOF

granak1031

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27837 on: June 11, 2016, 01:33:18 pm »

I binged through Detroit Metal City. It's juvenile and cringey as hell at times, but it's unabashedly funny and shameless.

The live action of DMC was pretty good compared to it's anime.

Well, I'm going to start giving Mayoiga a look now. Not many people watching that?

I haven't gotten around to watching it yet, but it's on my "Want to Watch" list. From your brief description, it sounds kinda like Higurashi?

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #27838 on: June 11, 2016, 01:33:28 pm »

If you're looking at anime popularity charts, are you looking at the english popularity or the japanese ones? Because english popularity always swing towards shonen and harem.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27839 on: June 11, 2016, 10:12:30 pm »

Popularity and Rating are two different things, and the lists are very different on myanimelist

If you sort MAL by popularity, you get among the top 15:
#2 Sword Art Online - #644 by ratings
#7 Naruto - #836 by ratings
#9 Bleach - #561 by ratings
#11 Elfen Lied - #679 by ratings
These series have tons of viewers, but none of them cracked the Top 500 in terms of ratings. There is some overlap in both lists, but a lot of differences.

If you sort by ratings, which is the default, the picture is reversed, e.g:
#8 LOGH - #738 by popularity,
#15 Mushishi Season Two - #837 by popularity
etc

"Harems" if you mean typical "harem comedy" do not show up on either list, but you do get the stuff like Elfen Lied and Sword Art Online with high popularity, and Stein's;Gate, Clannad After Story with high scores.

In the discussion above, I was talking about how the ratings change for airing series vs finished series, not the amount of viewers.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2016, 12:26:43 am by Reelya »
Pages: 1 ... 1854 1855 [1856] 1857 1858 ... 2193