Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1852 1853 [1854] 1855 1856 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3066226 times)

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #27795 on: June 03, 2016, 03:07:48 pm »

The first part of JoJo's is a little different from the rest; when most people rave about it they're talking about Part 3 and/or Part 4 or later, though there's a solid number of people who prefer Part 2. Part 1 isn't necessarily bad, but it's arguably the least JoJo-y JoJos, presumably because it took the author a while to figure out what the series should be about.

If I had to summarize what I value JoJo for, it'd probably be "ridiculous bullshit." It's very good at being ridiculous and bizarre in a sort of semi-grounded way, which lets it pull off having relatively serious, reasonable characters subjected to utterly unreasonable situations without the whole thing ceasing to matter because lolcomedy. There's the usual raft of "the characters are likeable" and "it has cool powers" and so on besides, but that's probably one of the more uniquely and quintessentially JoJo qualities about it.

Unfortunately, Part 1 has relatively little of that. Not zero, mind, but it doesn't get really, really JoJo-y in that sense until Part 2, where things get real silly real quick (but again, not so much that the world or its situations feel flimsy). I hate to say "watch Part 1 which sucks so you can watch Parts 2+ which are awesome," but that's more or less what I'd recommend if you're finding Part 1 okay but not amazing. If you find it really can't hold your interest, I'd advise just hopping to Part 2 and coming back for it later if the later parts catch your interest.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27796 on: June 03, 2016, 06:19:27 pm »

Thinking of watching some more "Kindaichi World's Worst Detective" and keep a tally once again.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27798 on: June 04, 2016, 11:13:00 am »

Awww no Gundam Build fighters in here? some of those guys were cool >_>

I mean I know Gundam Build Fighter Try was... far inferior to the first season but still!

Ohh well at least the Knight Gundam still got in along with the SD Gundams once or twice.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #27799 on: June 04, 2016, 11:25:36 am »

I feel putting the Build Fighters cast in an SRW would just be unnecessary cruelty to them all things considered since the only way to really make it work would be to rip them directly from their own setting via dimension shenanigans.

...well or copy the units over only sort-of like they did with the Miku Virtual-On thing, but that's a different matter entirely and having other people pilot them wouldn't feel quite right.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2016, 11:33:02 am by Furtuka »
It's FEF, not FEOF

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27800 on: June 04, 2016, 11:33:57 am »

They could officiate the theory that the Gundam Build Fighter's universe is actually Gundam Valhalla

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #27801 on: June 04, 2016, 11:37:31 am »

That still would make no sense as a binder considering how SRWs work and the details of the Build Fighters setting. And doesn't change the whole unnecessary cruelty part and would actively make the inclusion of full sized versions of their units even weirder.

I mean even though it's very unlikely, Build Fighters involvement could happen someday, but it would be out of left field and would probably happen in an utterly unpredictable way.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2016, 11:49:55 am by Furtuka »
It's FEF, not FEOF

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #27802 on: June 04, 2016, 08:46:53 pm »

Spoiler: Oh gg subs (click to show/hide)

EDIT: Oh crap I forgot to check if I was doubleposting again ._.
It's FEF, not FEOF

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably hanging around Forum Games and Roleplay
    • View Profile
« Reply #27803 on: June 04, 2016, 08:59:16 pm »

I feel like I should know that anime, but I don't.
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.
Quote from: Caellath on IRC
<Caellath>: Twinwolf, your thirst for blood has been noted.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #27804 on: June 04, 2016, 09:09:03 pm »

It's Kuromukuro. Airing right now. It's pretty good
« Last Edit: June 04, 2016, 09:10:38 pm by Furtuka »
It's FEF, not FEOF

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #27805 on: June 05, 2016, 06:05:23 am »

Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Hawkfrost

• Bay Watcher
  • It's way too late to stop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27806 on: June 05, 2016, 06:15:10 am »

I think Terror in Resonance is the first show I've ever seen where the police technobabble about bomb construction and the like actually sounds, at least to my knowledge, correct, as well as containing the only instance of a realistic hacking scene.

What is everything else's excuse? Why is it so hard to just do basic research and not look like idiots?
If the answer is "because normal people won't know or care," they won't know or care regardless so why not do your job properly and make everyone happy?

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #27807 on: June 05, 2016, 12:51:45 pm »

So that ss up there piqued my interest (heyoo giant robots) and I checked the show out. Then after the first two episodes I watched the rest of it that is out so far.

Gotta say, it really feels like a much less insane take on Evangelion, also with all the annoying whine excised for the most part (tho I guess it's kinda justified since the characters are a bit older and more mature in a sense so it might be expected to that they handle the shit somewhat better, also a bit less horrifying shit to a certain degree). It's also building up some interesting twists so even the main guys were annoying as fuck there's all this mystery stuff that's unfurling that's making me want to watch it more now. But they're not so it's kind of a win/win so far.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
  • This adorable animal can't work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27808 on: June 05, 2016, 02:36:12 pm »

So, Hustle Cat is like, good. Not even "good...for a VN"-tier good, but actually good.
As an aside, VNs and manga read much better when they're translated by actual translators - i.e. people who can translate and adapt the source text so that it reads like somebody with a native's grasp of English wrote it. It's much easier to enjoy them when they're not full of jarring turns of phrase and incomprehensible japanese metaphors translated literally, for whatever damn reason.
Or when they're originally written in English, like Hustle Cat is. Uh. I mean.
“See this Payam!” cried the gods, “He deceives us! He cruelly abuses our lustful hearts!”

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #27809 on: June 05, 2016, 02:40:26 pm »

It's different sorts of enjoyment, really. Can be, at least, 'cause of course either sort innit immune to being just plain bad. Also it's sometimes better if the meaning and whatnot isn't fully conveyed >_>

Happens a lot more in music than anime/manga/LNs/etc., but it happens there, too. It's entirely possible for gaps or errors/idiosyncrasies in translation to turn cardboard into some degree of interesting, heh, whereas a well done one would end up with a character that comes across basically as boring mud. Stuff like that.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2016, 02:42:19 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.
Pages: 1 ... 1852 1853 [1854] 1855 1856 ... 2193