Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1819 1820 [1821] 1822 1823 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3065992 times)

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #27300 on: April 25, 2016, 07:09:42 pm »

The next step for you.
Crap, now I'm watching this again.

Is Hellsing just edgy for the sake of edgy or is it actually good on top of being super metal?
I don't think I'd describe it as edgy for the sake of being edgy but it's definitely very metal-oriented.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Madmachine

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarfputer Project FTW
    • View Profile
« Reply #27301 on: April 25, 2016, 09:00:19 pm »

Now, if I really wanted a metal anime, I'd go hunt down a copy of Bastard!!

Heavy Metal, anime, AND D&D: Bastard!! has got to be the most satanic thing on the face of the earth.
I am a Grammar Communist. I believe that the means of word production (i.e: dictionaries) should be seized, for the good of the people.

We are succeeding. You can tell, because the Oxford English Dictionary made an emoji word of the year.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #27302 on: April 25, 2016, 09:38:39 pm »

Heavy Metal, anime, AND D&D: Bastard!! has got to be the most satanic thing on the face of the earth.
That sounds wonderful.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #27303 on: April 25, 2016, 10:10:50 pm »

So, I finished Hellsing. Fuck.
That's not very specific.
Ultimate, sorry. And I'd say it's very good on top of being the metalest, even if the original plan for it was/is purely Rule Of Cool. Symbolism came second.
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

Hawkfrost

• Bay Watcher
  • It's way too late to stop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27304 on: April 26, 2016, 02:04:07 am »

-snip-
For the most part (since by children I also meant teenagers) this is exactly what I wanted, a list of anime that isn't totally led by children.

I cut out the ones I've seen. This list is still huge, but I might as well ask. Are there any any shows out of these that anyone would recommend?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Death Parade, Spice and Wolf, Steins;Gate, and Darker Than Black are among the best anime I've seen and would be recommended to almost anyone.

Ergo Proxy and Paranoia Agent are both shows I would rate quite highly and are definitely worth checking out if they seem interesting to you.

Yamato 2199 is generally silly and has a lot of fanservice, but it's a fairly good space opera.

Arakawa Under The Bridge I remember liking when I watched it, but that was a good amount of years ago. If you like Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei or other absurd comedies you could check it out.

Gunsmith Cats is light entertainment but I hadn't seen a buddy cop thing in a long while, so I enjoyed it.

For Claymore, I hear they botched the ending due to running out of content at the time and trying to do their own storyline, so maybe consider reading the manga instead.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #27305 on: April 26, 2016, 02:41:49 am »

Oh shit, yeah, forgot to mention that. Don't watch Claymore, read it. The anime only covered a little bit of the story and they made up the "ending" from whole cloth. None of the interesting top-level plot comes out into the open until after the point where the anime ended.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27306 on: April 26, 2016, 03:17:30 am »

Yamato 2199

IDK, i think watching the 2012 remake of Yamato without at least checking out the original is a double-edged sword. Sure, it's slicker than the 1974 original, but you kinda miss out on the history of something when they modernize everything about it. Like the flared space suits, and how every battle is funky-time. The original Yamato has that Saturday morning cartoon / Golden-Age Sci Fi feeling that I don't think the remake really captured. Also they really changed the character designs away from the classic Leiji Matsumoto designs, which help to link it to other shows of the time period.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2016, 03:21:08 am by Reelya »

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #27307 on: April 26, 2016, 07:53:33 am »

Oh shit, yeah, forgot to mention that. Don't watch Claymore, read it. The anime only covered a little bit of the story and they made up the "ending" from whole cloth. None of the interesting top-level plot comes out into the open until after the point where the anime ended.
Alternately, only watch some of Claymore, then pick up from there in the manga.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27308 on: April 26, 2016, 10:17:21 am »

I feel like people cry fanservice too readily here. That's a general statement, not directly at divergence eve, but looking it up (I haven't watched it) having big tits is not even close to the first complaint I'd levy against its art style. So, if the story lacks "ecchi happenings" maybe it's just an ugly show in general. I definitely wouldn't put hyakka ryouran samurai girls as the other end of a scale there. I think the intent of the art design is pretty similar, it's the proficiency that differs.

Nah, it's deserved with Divergence Eve. There was a lot of extremely pandering official art released that had zero plot relevance, and this included the entire ending credits of the first season, and opening credits of the second season. Considering the plot, it would be like if they made a TV show of James Cameron's Aliens, then the closing credits of each episode was Ripley go-go dancing in a Las Vegas club in a string bikini, to a Spice Girls track. It would feel jarring and make it hard to recommend the show to people who would otherwise like it, which is what Divergence Eve is like.

And I do stand by the idea that Hyakka Ryouran is the opposite. Hyakka Ryouran has a great art style, which is let down by a paper-thin cliched story where the problem is that it's very boring (and that's quite an achievement give the opening animation promises some ultra-stylized Strike Witches style action) while Divergence Eve has a gritty and intricate plot, which is let down by the art decisions. Both shows could have been things which lasting value if the good parts weren't overshadowed by the bad.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2016, 10:39:33 am by Reelya »

Mattk50

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27309 on: April 26, 2016, 02:20:59 pm »

Upon reading up on it, not all of that is DEEN's fault -- the second season still had the same writer and director.

don't underestimate the role of the producer and the studio team. just having a writer and directly the same means very little if the team can't execute what they want.

pondicherry

• Bay Watcher
  • Too lazy to write something here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27310 on: April 26, 2016, 02:59:28 pm »

Anime is a new world for me.
Started with FMA-Brotherhood, then Steins;Gate, then Death Parade and now I'm watching Kara no Kyokai or The Garden of Sinners movies (release order) by the ufotable studio. Shiki is ending my life.

Further recommendations friends?

(I don't want to end The Garden of Sinners ...I'm afraid.)
"Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end: then Stop."

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably hanging around Forum Games and Roleplay
    • View Profile
« Reply #27311 on: April 26, 2016, 03:04:44 pm »

Puella Magi Madoka Magica. Watch at least to episode 3 to see if you'll like it, try to stay unspoiled for the best experience.
I've heard that Cowboy Beebop is great.
Angel Beats! if you want something that can switch from comedy to drama at the drop of a hat.
Assassination Classroom is funny and weird.

Other than those general recommendations, anything specific you're looking for?
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.
Quote from: Caellath on IRC
<Caellath>: Twinwolf, your thirst for blood has been noted.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27312 on: April 26, 2016, 03:57:42 pm »

Some rough recommendations based on the ones you've watched:

- Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann
- Shinsekai yori
- Death Note
- Psycho-Pass
- Darker than Black
- Hellsing Ultimate

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #27313 on: April 26, 2016, 04:05:07 pm »

Angel Beats! if you want something that can switch from comedy to drama at the drop of a hat.
The endings really sad (if hopeful) though. :'(

Some other general purpose suggestions:
- Fate/Zero followed by Fate/Stay Night: Unlimited Blade Works (the tv show, not the film). Zero has a better story, but UBW is the prettiest anime in existence right now and is worth the watch just for that fact alone. You can see the money pouring out of every shot.
- Baccano starts out kinda slow but it's worth the watch just for Isaac and Miria's hijinks, without even considering the rest of the show (which only add to it's appeal).
- Durarara!! is another really great slow burner by the same team that has 4 seasons or so out right now. It definitely takes at least 6 or so episodes to get into it, but it's still a really neat drama/slice of life with a touch of the fantastical added on top that works great for binge watching.
- Sword Art Online is a show people tend to either love or hate. It's important to recognize at the beginning that the show is actually a romance rather than your standard shonen fare (and works much better if you look at the true protagonist not being the main character). It suffers from a few rushed/filler arcs, but IMO the show itself (ignoring any other books/games/etc.) is really good. It tends to be love it or hate it though, as I mentioned before.
- K (sometimes called "the K project") is a pretty cool show if you can stand the heavy male homoerotic overtones that the show really likes to imply at times.
- Kill la Kill takes the ideas of baring skin and going over the top so far that it loops around and crosses the line twice (or maybe three times). If you can't stand the sight of bare skin then it's definitely not the show for you, but if you can stand it it's one of those shows that appears to have already gone as far as it can go by episode 2-3 and then keeps going, leading to more and more over the top epicness that just keeps getting more and more awesome.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27314 on: April 26, 2016, 09:21:24 pm »

Pages: 1 ... 1819 1820 [1821] 1822 1823 ... 2193