Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1784 1785 [1786] 1787 1788 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3065288 times)

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #26775 on: March 22, 2016, 09:16:15 pm »

... Rated by Light Novel fans, not ordinary humans. Notice that almost all the well known light novels have that weird little sister brocon stuff in them.
I'm not sure this is an accurate portrayal of LN fans. I think it's more to do with LN fans on MAL specifically. Seems to me that brocon stuff is actually pretty rare in LNs – I can think of exactly one where that's a focus.

There's a big list of lesser-known LNs all about onii-chan / imouto stuff. But the siscon/brocon thing occurs in a number of well known ones. But that's probably because LNs tend to be have a large number of harem settings. These are only LNs that I know about that have brocon/siscon and got adapted in anime:

Oreimo
SAO
Mahouka
No Game No Life
Date A Live
Infinite Stratos
Bakemonogatari (hints at this)
Chaika - The Coffin Princess
Baby Princess - in this Light Novel, a teenage guy discovers he has 20 sisters, aged 0-19
Nakaimo
Haganai
ImoCho - was a manga, but they made sure to get an LN out at the same time as the anime

I'm sure I'm missing out a lot here as well, plus I'm skipping anything that hasn't actually made it into anime.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2016, 09:29:34 pm by Reelya »

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #26776 on: March 22, 2016, 09:17:47 pm »

As far as Western otaku are concerned, not having siscon in your harem is haram.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #26777 on: March 22, 2016, 09:27:48 pm »

Wasn't the whole point of Nakaimo that the dude wanted to avoid banging his sister? Admittedly that'd still appeal to the weird fetish crowd, but it's not really comparable to Oreimo, etc.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26778 on: March 22, 2016, 09:32:14 pm »

I think if the entire plot revolves around not banging your sister, that's just the same deal. In the synopsis for Nakaimo it says that he doesn't know who the sister is, but she does and is still trying to score with him. And the end result is the same as Oreimo:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 22, 2016, 09:45:00 pm by Reelya »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26779 on: March 22, 2016, 09:41:58 pm »

so they should be the laid-back ones.

It is because the author is letting the symbolism take charge of sense.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #26780 on: March 22, 2016, 10:06:21 pm »

I think if the entire plot revolves around not banging your sister, that's just the same deal. In the synopsis for Nakaimo it says that he doesn't know who the sister is, but she does and is still trying to score with him. And the end result is the same as Oreimo:
Oh, okay. It's been a while since I watched it; I was thinking the sister was also in the dark.

At least the ending wasn't as badly-written as Oreimo.
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26781 on: March 22, 2016, 10:11:47 pm »

Admittedly I haven't seen past episode 1, I got that from web sources. However, this is the synopsis from the novel:

At his father's will, Shougo was transferred to an academy where a lot of girls attend. "While attending an academy find a girl that will be your partner" - in other words his father's will was for Shougo to make a girlfriend. On Shougo's birthday he receives a cake from an unknown person. Then he gets a phone call saying "Happy birthday, Onii-sama! I adore you very much." It looks as though his little sister, who was separated at birth also attends this academy, and is trying to get closer to him without letting him know who she is. Can Shougo "properly" reunite with his little sister, and make a girlfriend!?

So, it's pretty clear that the sister knows what the story is.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2016, 10:17:23 pm by Reelya »

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26782 on: March 22, 2016, 11:18:36 pm »

There's a big list of lesser-known LNs all about onii-chan / imouto stuff. But the siscon/brocon thing occurs in a number of well known ones. But that's probably because LNs tend to be have a large number of harem settings. These are only LNs that I know about that have brocon/siscon and got adapted in anime:

Oreimo
SAO
Mahouka
No Game No Life
Date A Live
Infinite Stratos
Bakemonogatari (hints at this)
Chaika - The Coffin Princess
Baby Princess - in this Light Novel, a teenage guy discovers he has 20 sisters, aged 0-19
Nakaimo
Haganai
ImoCho - was a manga, but they made sure to get an LN out at the same time as the anime
Fair enough, I guess you're much more well-versed in the incest genre than I am. There's definitely a whole lot that don't even touch incest too, though. Maybe it's a shounen vs. seinen thing.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #26783 on: March 22, 2016, 11:42:33 pm »

anime is trash

like, i know i would argue against that all day before, but goddamn if the average (mode, mean and median) anime wasn't awful compared to most things

what's with that? Is it because people will eat up shit as long as it's anime?

...wait, is that actually it? Just that anime fans have no taste? Even bad anime get long runs and fans and merch sales?

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26784 on: March 22, 2016, 11:52:36 pm »

-snip-
« Last Edit: March 24, 2017, 06:51:44 pm by Vector »
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26785 on: March 23, 2016, 12:34:29 am »

Lots of good anime doesn't get a second season. Tons of great manga and books never get anime.

The problem is that the profit margin for anime is very slim, and it comes almost entirely from BD sales. That means that studios need to pander to the super-fans, the obsessive types, because those are the only ones who will pay the crazy BD prices. And that especially applies to obsessive teens, because there's more of them, and teens are renowned for shit taste.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #26786 on: March 23, 2016, 01:03:33 am »

It's like any other medium, really. How many TV shows that get aired are actually any good? Games made? Films released? Books published?
Western media is just as guilty of churning out garbage as Japanese. S'just that Japan is a capitalist shithole making it slightly harder for people to get anywhere without pandering to audience trends.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #26787 on: March 23, 2016, 01:08:07 am »

But you don't hear randos at school or whatever raving about utter trash nearly as often.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #26788 on: March 23, 2016, 01:10:55 am »

... you don't?

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26789 on: March 23, 2016, 01:11:33 am »

But you don't hear randos at school or whatever raving about utter trash nearly as often.
Depends on what demographics you hang out with.
Pages: 1 ... 1784 1785 [1786] 1787 1788 ... 2193