Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1783 1784 [1785] 1786 1787 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3065281 times)

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #26760 on: March 22, 2016, 10:48:24 am »

It's more palatable that the real-world nationalist racism in Mahouka though.

Every time Mahouka is brought up, there always seems to be a brand new reason to laugh at it's badness.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #26761 on: March 22, 2016, 10:52:40 am »

That's what I was thinking! Not only is this thing a horrible self-insert fanfic brought to life, but it's racist too? It's really getting to the point where I might have to watch it.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26762 on: March 22, 2016, 11:03:08 am »

I highly recommend watching  up to the bus episode (around ep 9). After that the lulz dry up and there's a drawn out sports-carnival arc (10! episodes long about a freaking sports day). It's more entertaining to just read the highlights for this arc that to watch it:

We haven't really touched on:

- outright misogyny / slut-shaming, for basically any woman wearing less than a full burqa, though this is meted out on whim:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
- right wing logic, worthy of the Rush Limbaugh show, or Ayn Rand:
- the show actually makes you fondly remember the female-on-male violence in shows like Zero no Tsukaima.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2016, 12:14:35 pm by Reelya »

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26763 on: March 22, 2016, 11:38:42 am »

-snip-
« Last Edit: March 24, 2017, 06:54:35 pm by Vector »
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
  • INT Score: Yes
    • View Profile
« Reply #26765 on: March 22, 2016, 05:49:23 pm »

KyoAni: "Wow, You Guys Really Will Watch Anything We Make"
This is not entirely true... but it's probably more true than I'd like to admit.

Edit - That's not to say KyoAni hasn't made some good stuff. I mean... come on. Kyoukai no Kanata, Hyouka, Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai, Nichijou, Hibike Euphonium...

I still have faith in them.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2016, 05:59:52 pm by Nighthawk »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26766 on: March 22, 2016, 06:20:08 pm »

All I know is if they make a Mahouka anime (AKA The Mary Sue adventures) I will watch the butt out of it!

Assuming I got the name right.... DANG IT! get out of the manga already.

I don't care if it isn't actually a parody, I'll just imagine it is.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26767 on: March 22, 2016, 06:54:30 pm »

Umm, bro, we're actually talking about the Mahouka anime here...? It aired back in 2014. BTW the original was a self-published web novel, that got turned into a Light Novel because somehow people encouraged him.

KyoAni: "Wow, You Guys Really Will Watch Anything We Make"

It's kinda true but not true. People are watching because Kyoto Animation, but the universal response is mostly "meh...". The part about the high MAL ratings is not correct at all, it has a 6.9 rating and any good reviews are buried many pages back. The score was higher when the first episode aired, but plummeted quickly after that.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2016, 06:58:38 pm by Reelya »

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #26768 on: March 22, 2016, 06:58:07 pm »

Wait, this LN? That has a rating of 8.48?
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26769 on: March 22, 2016, 07:05:48 pm »

... Rated by Light Novel fans, not ordinary humans. Notice that almost all the well known light novels have that weird little sister brocon stuff in them.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2016, 07:07:21 pm by Reelya »

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #26770 on: March 22, 2016, 07:07:35 pm »

Excuse me while I go cry in a corner.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26771 on: March 22, 2016, 07:30:23 pm »

Mind you, the official English version of Mahouka LN hasn't even come out yet - that happens in about a month apparently. This could affect the scores either way I guess as more people read it. Also, bad news: About 1 week ago it looks like they announced a Mahouka Movie. So now I'll have to sit through yet more Mahouka in the name of !!Science!!

BTW here's the opening page of the actual LN:

You can just feel the quality writing dripping of the page. There seems to be some issues with logical consistency. Something that's been known since time immemorial, but first verified in 1999? And in the pre-intro he had a huge amount of detail about the 9 different magical schools (though hardly any of it is relevant to the plot), yet for the incident which created magical science it's just "magical police officers stopped a fanatic group". Which countries police officers? What fanatic group? That's very shit for a supposedly richly conceived world.

And you already have the start of his right-wing ranting here: calling any debate about equality "childish". BTW in the pre-intro to this he mentions that the "low achievers" of the elite highschool are not given teachers because teachers are reserved for the worthy students. It's also noted that only 1st-3rd magical highschools refuse to give teachers to half the students. The other schools have teachers for all students. I really don't know why you'd actually go to 1st Magical High School at all if you didn't pass the Course-1 exam, that's never explained.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2016, 07:50:32 pm by Reelya »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26772 on: March 22, 2016, 07:50:07 pm »

BTW in the pre-intro to this he mentions that the "low achievers" of the elite highschool are not given teachers because teachers are reserved for the worthy students.

My response is: HOW THE FUDGE is this NOT a parody?

I mean it actually makes fun of my biggest complaint of ultra-elite schools in animes being... TERRIBLE schools right there.

Dang it author, how I wish you have the smallest nugget of self-awareness.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26773 on: March 22, 2016, 08:25:39 pm »

... Rated by Light Novel fans, not ordinary humans. Notice that almost all the well known light novels have that weird little sister brocon stuff in them.
I'm not sure this is an accurate portrayal of LN fans. I think it's more to do with LN fans on MAL specifically. Seems to me that brocon stuff is actually pretty rare in LNs – I can think of exactly one where that's a focus.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26774 on: March 22, 2016, 08:37:08 pm »

Weird thing: the system works like this: 100 Course 1 top students, and 100 Course 2 reserves. If anyone in the top 100 flunks, then one person from Course 2 gets to move up, based on merit. And it's a feeder school for the National Magic University. The graduation rate is listed as "over 100", basically implying that if you're in Course 2 you have little hope in hell of actually graduating. If you don't make it then you have to re-do your schooling at a normal non-magic highschool. One of the Weeds talks about being "lucky" to be accepted at this highschool. The Weeds are abnormally laid-back for people who literally should be cutting each others throats to get a leg up. The Blooms are assured a place at magical university already, so they should be the laid-back ones.

FAKE-EDIT More inconsistencies, there was an abnormally long paragraph cataloguing all the buildings at the school to an inane level of detail, then when the characters get their ID cards we get this:

Since the individual cards were not made beforehand, the arrangement was
to have each and every person go to a certain place to personally have their
data written into the cards

So, you spend a fuckload of words minutely listing all the buildings in the school, yet when it would make sense to say which building this occured in, it's just "a certain place".

Oh well that's me for Mahouka, don't want to clutter the thread with any more annoyances from the LN.
Pages: 1 ... 1783 1784 [1785] 1786 1787 ... 2193