Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1771 1772 [1773] 1774 1775 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3066548 times)

Hawkfrost

• Bay Watcher
  • It's way too late to stop.
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #26580 on: February 25, 2016, 06:37:54 pm »

What kind of butler doesn't have a sniper rifle?
That... looks like an (out of proportion) anti-tank rifle. Sodding hell.

It's a Barrett M82 fifty-calibre; they use them for firing on military trucks, planes, people and such, you can't pierce a tank with one.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #26581 on: February 25, 2016, 06:45:34 pm »

Um, yeah. Anti-materiel rifle. I knew that.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26582 on: February 25, 2016, 07:45:02 pm »

At this point, if there was a butler character in an anime that wasn't a badass, just a played-straight manservant, I'd be surprised.
Kill la Kill is notable in this, since just about everyone else is a badass of some sort.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26583 on: February 26, 2016, 08:25:17 am »

Another Manga for you all

http://mangapark.me/manga/saike-mata-shite-mo

The story follows a unambitious introverted middle school student called Saike Kuzushiro. After witnessing the death of his childhood friend, Mikan Karatachi, in a road accident. He cries out to God and after a fall, Saike wakes up in bed the previous morning, the day of the accident.

Will history repeat? Can he save Mikan? What power does he have to change the future?
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Lordinquisitor

• Bay Watcher
  • Innocence proves nothing.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26584 on: February 26, 2016, 08:56:58 am »

Hello fine folks!

This seems like the right place to ask for anime recommendations. I`m currently searching for a nice anime to watch, but alas, to no avail. Even myanimelist with it`s recommendations doesn`t turn up much.  My taste might be "special" (or not) so i`ll list some of the anime i`ve enjoyed and some i didn`t enjoy and some (short) reasons as to why in order to make it easier for you to make suggestions.

General likes/dislikes:

I rather like anime with an "realistic" art style and "realistic" fights. I also hugely enjoy complex characters which aren`t purely good or evil. I dislike overpowered characters, or rather characters who win too easily- Even if a character has some amazing power he should struggle and shouldn`t triumph solely through his powers. I tend to favor older, or at least late teenish characters and mature settings and themes.

I absolutely detest all kinds of harem anime.

Please don`t be offended if i dislike some anime you like; That`s just, like, my subjective opinion, dude.

Anime i immensely enjoyed:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Anime i enjoyed:

Anime i rather disliked:

Anime i very much dislike:

Anime which ought to be burned at the stake:

Any input would be hugely appreciated!

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26585 on: February 26, 2016, 09:19:46 am »

Another Manga for you all

Probably shouldn't be linking to sites that have scanlations, that's against forum policy.

@Lordinquisitor:

Baccano! (2010) * this one is really good, dark comedy/horror set in 1930's chicago and new york, with gangster wars, and chronological fuckery similar to Pulp Fiction.

Shinsekai Yori: it's a sci-fi series based on a novel, where the start might seem a bit rocky, but it's extremely worth the time to watch the whole thing. Great atmosphere, world building, and plot twists.

Monster could be a good choice if you liked Death Note. But I can only give you a second-hand recommendation. Haven't watched it yet personally, but everyone else raves about it.

Rainbow (2010) historical action/drama about 7 kids in a juvenile prison in the 1950s.

Gangsta (2015) pretty gritty art style and setting, though the action gets a bit crazy and less believable towards the end of the season.

Erased (2016). Though it's more suspense/drama than action, it's very serious in tone.

You could also try ones like Parasyte (medium serious), Ajin (more serious) and Tokyo Ghoul (though I personally hate this one). All three are about people who's bodies are infected by some sort of virus/curse. They're all pretty gory.

Some possible ones where YMMV: Darker than Black, Psycho Pass, Corpse Princess.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2016, 09:41:23 am by Reelya »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26586 on: February 26, 2016, 09:35:41 am »

Please don`t be offended if i dislike some anime you like; That`s just, like, my subjective opinion, dude.

Harem is more of a plot element (for example Fate/Stay is a harem anime to my knowledge...) then a genre

Just one that seems to ALMOST ALWAYS SUCK!

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26587 on: February 26, 2016, 09:43:47 am »

Harem is more of a plot element (for example Fate/Stay is a harem anime to my knowledge...) then a genre

Just one that seems to ALMOST ALWAYS SUCK!
It's a simple formula, so it can be used well by good writers, or it can be used as a crutch for people who don't actually have any idea what they are doing. Guess which type of writer is more common.

For example, Stein's Gate, Haruhi and any number of other shows have a "harem structure" but they don't necessarily fall back on any of the "standard tropes".

It's similar with other common set-ups like the "school club" set up. This category includes some terrible shows, but also some great shows. A simple structure basically means the writer expends no effort in having to explain the setting. This saving in effort can be used or misused. It all depends what the writer does with it, do they use it as an opportunity to create more fleshed-out characters and focus on character interactions, or do they use it as an excuse to be lazy and just fill the show with cliches?
« Last Edit: February 26, 2016, 10:00:08 am by Reelya »

GreatJustice

• Bay Watcher
  • ☭The adventure continues (refresh)☭
    • View Profile
« Reply #26588 on: February 26, 2016, 10:44:50 am »

Gangsta (2015) pretty gritty art style and setting, though the action gets a bit crazy and less believable towards the end of the season.

I seem to remember reading the description for this one and thinking that it sounded like the sort of 80s B movie that would show up on Best of the Worst. Does that sum it up?
The person supporting regenerating health, when asked why you can see when shot in the eye justified it as 'you put on an eyepatch'. When asked what happens when you are then shot in the other eye, he said that you put an eyepatch on that eye. When asked how you'd be able to see, he said that your first eye would have healed by then.

Professional Bridge Toll Collector?

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #26589 on: February 26, 2016, 10:55:08 am »

It's not. Just gets played off that way in post series fanon because of the nature of the branching routes. In the actual story there's only a strong romance angle with the main heroine of whicever route is being followed what I can recall, which is determined fairly early on in the story.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2016, 10:58:59 am by Furtuka »
It's FEF, not FEOF

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26590 on: February 26, 2016, 11:02:43 am »

It's not. Just gets played off that way in post series fanon because of the nature of the branching routes. In the actual story there's only a strong romance angle with the main heroine of whatever route it is from what I can recall, which is determined fairly early one in the story.

Most Harems aren't "Could end up with anyone"

As I said before there are four
1) Fat Chance: No one is going to end up with the character
2) Everyone: Anyone could (exceptions)
3) One True Love: Only one person
4) Rival and Love: It is two or sometimes even three people in spite there being a large harem.

For example Ouran School is a harem but only two of the many characters has any romantic tension with the heroine lead.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #26591 on: February 26, 2016, 11:32:23 am »

It's not a harem. The rest of the cast is too busy with stuff to develop and express an interest in Shirou outside of their own routes. You could make an argument for some of the sequel/spinoffs, but the original story is a nope.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2016, 11:34:46 am by Furtuka »
It's FEF, not FEOF

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26592 on: February 26, 2016, 11:41:52 am »

outside of their own routes

So... It is a "Everyone stands a chance Harem Visual Novel"

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26593 on: February 26, 2016, 12:45:32 pm »

9=(long post asking for recommendations)
Man, you started out all pretentious sounding with realistic art and difficult to find and implying a lack of wish fulfillment and I thought your list was going to be about the sort of realistic stuff that rarely actually gets anime but is mostly relegated to manga, and then I open your first spoiler. Anyway based on your description I'd recommend Kaiji and Baccano, and maybe like Ayakashi but based on your list honestly the only common trend I can see about your tastes is that you like stuff that's popular but not so popular that people who claim "nerd cred" hate it on principle. So, uh, One Punch Man? The main character's gimmick doesn't fit your "doesn't win easily" criteria and a lot of people who only watch the anime can't get past that, but I imagine you'll like the next season.

Oh! Or Kekkai Sensen, from a couple seasons ago. And Trigun, by the same author. Those actually seem the most in your wheelhouse, only slightly higher power level than the examples you cite as liking.

outside of their own routes
So... It is a "Everyone stands a chance Harem Visual Novel"
Not really. A harem is defined by a sort of perpetuity to that situation. The fact that it's initially possible for you to get with a fairly wide variety of characters isn't called a "harem" it's called "being single".

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #26594 on: February 26, 2016, 01:04:35 pm »

And while the opening choices between the routes do have elements of picking which heroine to hang out with, the actual changes and phrasing of the choices are more dependant plotwise on Shirou's actions in regards to the alliance forming that occurs during the first few days of the Grail War. For example the main event that chooses between the Fate Route and Unlimited Blade Works route is whether or not Shirou stops Saber from wounding Archer after the fight with Lancer.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2016, 01:43:11 pm by Furtuka »
It's FEF, not FEOF
Pages: 1 ... 1771 1772 [1773] 1774 1775 ... 2193