Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1770 1771 [1772] 1773 1774 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3066732 times)

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #26565 on: February 24, 2016, 05:57:04 am »

This weeks short anime Ooyasan wa Shishunki! had a cameo from the previous season's Komori-san wa Kotowarenai!. If you didn't glance at that one as well you'd miss it.

BTW: for anyone who is interested, Ajin the movie that came out in December covers episodes 1-6 of the current TV series. The TV series is just a recut of the same story, although I think I saw one bit of new footage around episode 3. In any case, the story and animation are basically identical, so if you watched the movie, you can jump straight to episode 7 without missing a beat.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2016, 06:13:17 am by Reelya »

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #26566 on: February 24, 2016, 06:49:11 am »

Mahouka sounds like a horrible fanfic. How do people even get an anime like that made? "Hey guys, I still have a lot of emotional hangups about high school. Could we create a show solely to compensate for that?"

Hawkfrost

• Bay Watcher
  • It's way too late to stop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26567 on: February 24, 2016, 07:01:07 am »

Mahouka sounds like a horrible fanfic. How do people even get an anime like that made? "Hey guys, I still have a lot of emotional hangups about high school. Could we create a show solely to compensate for that?"

Well, I assume it sells to all the other people who still have emotional hangups about highschool, or to the silly people who seem to think that power of protagonist = quality of the show.
I know I've had at least two people in real life fairly vehemently attempt to defend Mahouka as a good show and decry my claims of it being a power fantasy wankfest written by an immature hack, so there must be plenty of people out there willing to throw money at this guy for writing it.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #26568 on: February 24, 2016, 07:13:15 am »

I mean, I understand why people watch it. It's got the same appeal that a lot of Mary Sue fanfics do, and they're popular. But why would anyone besides the writer want to put effort into making it? What is the pitch that gets a whole studio of people to create this instead of a show about some kid ninja or something?

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26569 on: February 24, 2016, 08:08:17 am »

It actually plays out as if he's some fanficcers mary-sue self insertion character in his own series.

Imagine if Tatsuya wasn't meant to the main character, but Leo was. Leo is in the "buttmonkey sidekick" role. But he's actually a lot more like a typical hero than Tatsuya is. So let's imagine that the original story was about Leo but someone came along and wrote a self-insert fanfic where they upstaged Leo.

Leo is far more like your usual anime hero than Tatsuya is: Leo is a straight-up good guy who is far less than a genius, gets beaten up by tsundere girls (who actually like him) for accidental pervert stuff, and his main skill is pummeling bad guys to death with technomagical gauntlets (which look cool to the audience but the girls think are outdated and dorky). So you have your hotheaded hero who is not so smart but is quick with his fists and unlucky with women. Now that's a workable story there, purely because he's not perfect.

And Leo's skills are in line with the rest of the cast. Mahouka has a wide range of characters with different skills. But 99% of the time those skills aren't needed because Tatsuya magically gains whatever skill is needed to insta-win in any situation, and almost all his skills are never-before-seen Tatsuya-brandtm magic that only works for him. That's like a mary-sue klaxon alert right there. Without Tatsuya constantly pulling rabbits out of his hat, they'd have to work as a team, and the "rules of magic" which the series is supposedly built upon would actual mean something. So, it really does feel like Tatsuya is a fanfic author's self insert mary-sue which has ruined an otherwise workable story.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2016, 10:03:28 am by Reelya »

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26570 on: February 24, 2016, 09:01:41 am »

I'm almost convinced that Mahouka was designed from the ground up to be hated on. It's seemingly the My Immortal of animes, too convincingly bad to be real, but it just might be.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26571 on: February 24, 2016, 10:05:30 am »

Apparently a lot of the inner thoughts of Tatsuya from the Light Novels didn't carry through to the anime, I'm kinda guessing his inner monologue in the books make it clear it's not a parody.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26572 on: February 24, 2016, 10:53:34 am »

The western market for anime is small and for the most part is only applicable to a small minority of titles. It's not surprising they don't care about it compared to their guaranteed and larger domestic audience.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26573 on: February 24, 2016, 01:14:30 pm »

Apparently a lot of the inner thoughts of Tatsuya from the Light Novels didn't carry through to the anime, I'm kinda guessing his inner monologue in the books make it clear it's not a parody.
At least it's less stupid in that the explaining everything for the audience doesn't need to be something that the characters are actually doing as part of their discussion.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26574 on: February 25, 2016, 05:54:05 am »

A YEP...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #26575 on: February 25, 2016, 02:45:13 pm »

What kind of butler doesn't have a sniper rifle?
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26576 on: February 25, 2016, 02:54:51 pm »

At this point, if there was a butler character in an anime that wasn't a badass, just a played-straight manservant, I'd be surprised.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #26577 on: February 25, 2016, 03:47:05 pm »

At this point, if there was a butler character in an anime that wasn't a badass, just a played-straight manservant, I'd be surprised.
It happens from time to time with the characters that decide to play out the "elderly old retainer"/"fatherly figure" schtick instead where they've served the family for generations (and as such are often much more old than badass). That said a lot of it is just limited by the fact in that in the type of shows where badassitude occurs in most cases normal characters tend to disappear when anything badass happens, meaning they get less screen time and don't show up really as real characters. :P
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #26578 on: February 25, 2016, 05:17:35 pm »

What kind of butler doesn't have a sniper rifle?
That... looks like an (out of proportion) anti-tank rifle. Sodding hell.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably hanging around Forum Games and Roleplay
    • View Profile
« Reply #26579 on: February 25, 2016, 05:18:32 pm »

What kind of butler doesn't have an anti-tank rifle?
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.
Quote from: Caellath on IRC
<Caellath>: Twinwolf, your thirst for blood has been noted.
Pages: 1 ... 1770 1771 [1772] 1773 1774 ... 2193