Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1769 1770 [1771] 1772 1773 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3066881 times)

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #26550 on: February 23, 2016, 09:11:50 pm »

Depends on how you define sequel. There's a movie(s?) adapting the Heaven's Feel route of Fate currently in production. And the chances of UFOtable adapting Hallow Ataraxia at some point are pretty high, since they said that they would consider it if UBW sold well, and I'm assuming it's been printing money considering the widespread reception and the fanbase. Though it's sortof a half sequel, half sidestory due to spoiler reasons.
I meant a sequel like how FSN is a sequel to FZ.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26551 on: February 23, 2016, 09:13:44 pm »

And honestly, I think the author is more ashamed to admit it is a parody or doesn't write it like it is a parody. Then it genuinely not being a parody.
He said specifically that while it started that way, it isn't that now. Of course, the anime only covers the start of it anyway, so maybe it's fair to call the anime a parody I guess.

I was incredulous as to why you'd think the Western market had no money in it, not why Japan doesn't care about/cater to said market.
Well, there's also a lot of gold in seawater. It doesn't matter how much money there is if none of it is being tapped.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #26552 on: February 23, 2016, 09:48:36 pm »

I was incredulous as to why you'd think the Western market had no money in it, not why Japan doesn't care about/cater to said market.
Well, there's also a lot of gold in seawater. It doesn't matter how much money there is if none of it is being tapped.
I mean, Japan doesn't normally care about foreign markets because Japan, but western fans of anime and such do buy BDs and merch. The population is big enough that those fans should make up a notable portion of sales, but you don't seem to think they do, for some reason.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #26553 on: February 23, 2016, 10:13:18 pm »

Depends on how you define sequel. There's a movie(s?) adapting the Heaven's Feel route of Fate currently in production. And the chances of UFOtable adapting Hallow Ataraxia at some point are pretty high, since they said that they would consider it if UBW sold well, and I'm assuming it's been printing money considering the widespread reception and the fanbase. Though it's sortof a half sequel, half sidestory due to spoiler reasons.
I meant a sequel like how FSN is a sequel to FZ.
Hallow Ataraxia is the closest thing there is to one. It's technically the Fate sequel.
It's FEF, not FEOF

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26554 on: February 23, 2016, 10:45:43 pm »

I'd have to disagree on the OPM anime being a parody. About the only thing in the show that can be considered a parody is the main character. Everything else is played pretty straight.

But what is the greatest unintentional parody you speak of?

That is the point of OPM. It takes itself seriously but is a parody. "Played straight" is sometimes the essence of parody as it doesn't always have to laugh at itself.

Though yeah I doubt we will see eye to eye too much.

An example of a parody that is played straight: "A Modest Proposal" (though that is a Satire).

---

Now as for the greatest parody I always get it wrong it is about a Wizard who is disadvantaged because he doesn't have a lot of magic power. Yet because he can cast thousands of spells a second he is really the most broken character there.

Also all the girls love him... and he breaks several laws of magic willy nilly because he is just so smart, and talented, and handsome.

Honestly it is so thick with this Mary Sue BS... I am in this permanent state of being half-convinced it actually is an outright parody.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2016, 10:47:46 pm by Neonivek »

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26555 on: February 23, 2016, 10:55:12 pm »

I mean, Japan doesn't normally care about foreign markets because Japan, but western fans of anime and such do buy BDs and merch. The population is big enough that those fans should make up a notable portion of sales, but you don't seem to think they do, for some reason.
A tiny subset of a tiny subset of a large thing is not necessarily large relative to a small subset of an only relatively smallish thing. Without some numbers, I guess there's no way of knowing for sure, but Japan's apathy towards foreign markets does seem to indicate that it's not a major source of revenue.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #26556 on: February 23, 2016, 11:26:28 pm »

Or maybe it's got something to do with Japan being really insular.
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26557 on: February 24, 2016, 01:00:41 am »

Yeah, it'd probably be impossible to parody Mahouka. Because a parody would play up his powers, or how girls fawn over him.

He's immortal, can fly, can raise the dead and destroy whole cities without even breaking a sweat. How do you parody that? And no matter how trivial his actions (which have included typing, web-browsing, and just standing there), an ad-hoc harem of girls will gather around all commenting on how well he did it. How do you parody that? (well my earlier suggestion was to have all the girls commenting on how great his farts smell, but that's more like a one-off parody gag).

Perhaps you could parody the diagrams and power-point type things that show how magic works. But the problem is that they have 5-10 minutes of those to explain a 20 second fight, so nope, adding more diagrams isn't going to comed across as a parody.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2016, 01:08:12 am by Reelya »

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #26558 on: February 24, 2016, 01:23:45 am »

and just standing there
PLEASE tell me this literally happened. After his sister thing I know nothing is too lofty to hope for.

How do you parody that?
You know... I actually thought of a way, at least briefly.

First, you play up the fawning thing. Rather than a cluster of girls just standing there talking about how awesome his ability to eat food is, you go full clothing explosion panting about how she can't take it any more. Then, she powers up into an over the top DBZ villain from sheer lust while monologuing this fact. This of course shatters most of the planet, so the resulting fight takes place on a brilliant shattered hellscape.

Said fight then consists of her attempting to attack in some manner, followed by him instantly incapacitating her and monologuing (in a dull, emotionless voice, of course) about how he did it. Said explanation is entirely stupid and roundabout, and can continue long after the villain has died from said attack if you'd like, though I'd avoid that to keep things moving. Don't wanna emulate it too well.

Our grand protagonist, now afloat in a void, proceeds to instantly teleport three galaxies over to a specific planet, where he enrolls in high school while a bunch of literal moustache-twirling villains gloat about how they're going to femclone him to give him a balancer, at which point he'll be perfect for their schemes. Within a few days of arriving he'll remember he had to do something and instantly obliterate whatever subcontinent the local notChinese were standing on at the time.

So yes, I believe it could be done, though mainly by going Gurren Lagann on it and narrative focus tricks.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26559 on: February 24, 2016, 02:40:49 am »

Yeah, it literally happened. He was given the job of standing outside the door of a bus with a clipboard, marking off names. In the next scene some girls are discussing how awesome he was at that onerous task, because it was sunny and "not everyone could have done that". Yeah, clearly it takes a special type of ubermensch to stand still on a sunny day and remember the names of your classmates. You have to remind yourself "this isn't a parody" at moments like this.

After that someone asks the sister if she'd like a drink, and she responds "A drink? My poor onii-sama was out in the sun! I bet he'd really like a drink". Then, the girl who offered the drink gets told off by everyone else for "getting her started" on the brother thing. Which is pretty bizarre - all she did was offer Miyuki a drink. But that's part of the siblings being mary-sues. Even when something is clearly their fault, no other characters ever fault them for their own behaviour - they point the finger at other people.

BTW, that scene was, for me, one of the highlights of a 10-episode story arc. I got more chuckles out of them getting on the bus than where they went and spent the next ~8 or so episodes. How's that for riveting entertainment?
« Last Edit: February 24, 2016, 02:51:13 am by Reelya »

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #26560 on: February 24, 2016, 02:50:32 am »

It's FEF, not FEOF

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26561 on: February 24, 2016, 03:39:42 am »

While not marketed as a parody, Mahouka is best enjoyed as though it were one. Or with some manner of substance abuse, perhaps. As long as you get over the fact that it's ridiculous, it's fairly decent.

Or maybe it's got something to do with Japan being really insular.
Even insular people pay attention to the source of their income.

I feel like Haiyore! Nyaruko-San applies to both the parody and the 'other markets' discussion right now. Coincidentally, I just finished watching that series. Worth a gander if your pop culture game is strong and you don't mind a shortage of character development, I suppose.
Call of Cthulhu is pretty popular in Japan actually. It might be the most popular western game in the tabletop RPG scene, it's certainly the only genre where a western game dominates over domestic ones. It's pandering to Japanese CoC fans more than anything, although it does reference lots of Japanese pop culture, including westaboo stuff.

Well there's this I guess?
Honestly, you could apply this to a lot of shounen and although you'd be exaggerating to a different degree, it would be otherwise similar in accuracy.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2016, 03:41:48 am by Cruxador »

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #26562 on: February 24, 2016, 03:58:54 am »

While not marketed as a parody, Mahouka is best enjoyed as though it were one. Or with some manner of substance abuse, perhaps. As long as you get over the fact that it's ridiculous, it's fairly decent.
You say that, but...
"A drink? My poor onii-sama was out in the sun! I bet he'd really like a drink"
I can feel by brain cells dying.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26563 on: February 24, 2016, 04:04:53 am »

Yeah, it'd probably be impossible to parody Mahouka. Because a parody would play up his powers, or how girls fawn over him.

He's immortal, can fly, can raise the dead and destroy whole cities without even breaking a sweat. How do you parody that? And no matter how trivial his actions (which have included typing, web-browsing, and just standing there), an ad-hoc harem of girls will gather around all commenting on how well he did it. How do you parody that? (well my earlier suggestion was to have all the girls commenting on how great his farts smell, but that's more like a one-off parody gag).

Perhaps you could parody the diagrams and power-point type things that show how magic works. But the problem is that they have 5-10 minutes of those to explain a 20 second fight, so nope, adding more diagrams isn't going to comed across as a parody.

The only way to parody it is to do one of two things
1) You need to introduce a new character whose gimmick is... they have brains and are a normal person... and somehow make him the guy's best friend.
or
2) You need to take the Mary Sue uber overpowered 2000 character... And instead place him in a good setting without changing any of his traits. Either a normal everyday setting or the exact same setting but with the details not bent over backwards to accomidate him (AKA the My Immortal the Webseries method)
or wait I got a third
3) Change the story so he isn't a Mary Sue he just thinks he is. Everyone is just being nice.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #26564 on: February 24, 2016, 04:52:02 am »

3) Change the story so he isn't a Mary Sue he just thinks he is. Everyone is just being nice.
How about he and everyone else thinks he's a Sue, but he's actually just a really convincing liar, to the point that even he believes his own bullshit.
Pages: 1 ... 1769 1770 [1771] 1772 1773 ... 2193