Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1754 1755 [1756] 1757 1758 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3067621 times)

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #26325 on: February 14, 2016, 03:25:25 pm »

Umm, the title itself?

Is it wrong to pick up girls in a dungeon?

If you're going to have that as a subtitle of the show it's a pretty safe bet it won't really aim high.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #26326 on: February 14, 2016, 03:27:29 pm »

That's because Tenchi Muyo! wasn't working off of decades of refinement to ensure maximum appeal for tasteless otaku. It was a series which did things, some of which struck a chord with a certain demographic and were subsequently copied by damn near every guy-and-harem series ever made. Same shit as with Love Hina.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26327 on: February 14, 2016, 03:29:24 pm »

Umm, the title itself?

Is it wrong to pick up girls in a dungeon?

If you're going to have that as a subtitle of the show it's a pretty safe bet it won't really aim high.

And the anime actually starts out about the character going after ONE woman and explains that title by having the plot being based around his goal to become "good enough" to get together with her.

The anime actually avoids harem for quite some time before devolving into it. It had a female centric cast, but for the most part treated them as characters first. It wasn't until the end of the second story arc where it devolved into outright harem antics.

That's because Tenchi Muyo! wasn't working off of decades of refinement to ensure maximum appeal for tasteless otaku. It was a series which did things, some of which struck a chord with a certain demographic and were subsequently copied by damn near every guy-and-harem series ever made. Same shit as with Love Hina.

And that is POST knowledge. You can't know that going in.

Hindsight is 20/20

---

Basically all I am saying is you can't blame me for actually looking at an anime... Watching it... and then based on what I say, not assuming it is utter trash based off of preconceptions that might not even be true.

You defend garbage for being garbage... because I actually expected something at some point and became disappointed.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2016, 03:33:23 pm by Neonivek »

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #26328 on: February 14, 2016, 03:33:11 pm »

How so? All you need to know is common knowledge: when Tenchi Muyo! was created, and that it is in many respects the first noteworthy harem series. It's not exactly difficult to surmise that the chain of copy-catting successful formulas will inevitably distill down into utter garbage--we've seen the same process with, for example, Tolkien-derived fantasy (amusingly enough, often in the same series that we see haremshit).

3. Run Resize Enable

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26329 on: February 14, 2016, 03:34:51 pm »

How so? All you need to know is common knowledge: when Tenchi Muyo! was created, and that it is in many respects the first noteworthy harem series. It's not exactly difficult to surmise that the chain of copy-catting successful formulas will inevitably distill down into utter garbage--we've seen the same process with, for example, Tolkien-derived fantasy (amusingly enough, often in the same series that we see haremshit).

Because I didn't go into Dungeon with any foreknowledge of it. I only knew a basic premise.

To give Tenchi Muyo anything more then its basic premise is to basically bend the situation over backwards in its favor. "Lonely earth boy who is kind to a fault gets visited by hot women who fight over him"

Tenchi Muyo doesn't get any psychic bonuses. If I took what Jopax said to heart I'd have no choice but to assume Tenchi Muyo sucks and is a bad anime based on artificial details alone and if I assumed it could be good and had expectations, I'd be the one in the wrong if it actually wasn't good.

It is ludicrous. No offense Jopax but your just plain wrong. Like, fundamentally.

---

No wait... I am the moron here

Jopax isn't arguing that I am in the wrong because of some sort of "If something looks bad based on artificial details it means it is wrong"

It is because Jopax is saying because HE thought Dungeon was bad, with only the title apparently... I am in the wrong for having expectations, in spite of actually watching it.

Yeah sorry Jopax, I don't see it the same way you did. Dungeon had promise, and I don't agree that you can dictate that for me and blame me for seeing things differently.

Nor do I think anyone can dictate that someone is in the wrong for having expectations for any anime no matter how "blatantly bad" it seems to be.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2016, 04:08:35 pm by Neonivek »

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #26330 on: February 14, 2016, 04:24:45 pm »

Neo, you've gotta be realistic about it. You can project your expectations all you want, but a haremshit battle LN is going to be garbage in almost every case. At least ZnT actually had interesting potential which was wasted, most of the crap now is literally just another variant on "the world is an RPG and all these hot grills want the bland featureless SI-worthy protagonist because reasons" as that's the perfect combination of base desires for the target audience (basementdwelling otaku and horny teens).

3. Run Resize Enable

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26331 on: February 14, 2016, 04:26:13 pm »

Did you watch Dungeon?

I mean I don't care if you say "it was obviously bad, come on!" that is just conversation and yeah even I saw bad signs. It is the whole "It is your fault if you thought it could have been anything but bad from start to end" that is grinding my gears.

Literally blaming me for not absolutely believing the worst... it is like a parody of something I'd do... except it is coming from intelligent people.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2016, 04:30:25 pm by Neonivek »

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #26332 on: February 14, 2016, 04:36:30 pm »

How many other battle haremshit series have you watched/read? How many of those have been genuinely good? Not "Oh, I thought that the premise was interesting..." or "The first episode was okay," but the whole thing being genuinely engaging and relatively free of the usual stupidity? For that matter, as Jopax said, read the bloody title. What about that doesn't scream bland predictable bullshit?

Like, you don't need to actually watch or read something to have a pretty decent idea as to its quality. I don't watch the first episode of every new anime because most of them I can safely identify as "shit" or "not in my interests" with two or three lines of description and the splash art.

3. Run Resize Enable

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #26333 on: February 14, 2016, 04:41:56 pm »

It's cool, calm down Neo. So you looked past that and expected something more than the show was willing to offer. And while that bit is wholly a thing you can do (and I have done many times), what my real issue was the second point. The whole "I got dissappointed by one dungeon anime so I won't watch any other because they risk being shit" part. Hell, if you got burned by that one that bad, doesn't that mean that every other one will actually be better since you'll be expecting shit anyways?

Apologies if what was said eariler pissed you off tho, wasn't the intention.
AS - IG

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26334 on: February 14, 2016, 04:44:00 pm »

I say it as a "I am being cautious" deal. I got disappointed by something that had a lot of potential and had similar details, so I am hesitant to try again.

Like being afraid of dogs because one bit you.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #26335 on: February 14, 2016, 04:51:21 pm »

In this instance it's probably better to learn to identify what kinds of dogs will bite you vs. what kinds will be fun to play with etc.

Which in this extended metaphor means that avoiding a corgi or golden retriever because you were bitten by a pitbull is kinda silly
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26336 on: February 14, 2016, 04:54:45 pm »

And the anime actually starts out about the character going after ONE woman and explains that title by having the plot being based around his goal to become "good enough" to get together with her.

It talks about him going after one girl, but he also has this big-titted chick all over him all the time and never notices, plus meets other girls who seem to take notice of him in his daily life. The gender imbalance, and even the opening credits were a giveaway right from the start.

And is it really that intriguing to say "the plot is that if he levels up he can score with that hot adventurer babe!" because that was pretty much the entire plot arc they were offering.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26337 on: February 14, 2016, 04:59:27 pm »

And is it really that intriguing to say "the plot is that if he levels up he can score with that hot adventurer babe!" because that was pretty much the entire plot arc they were offering.

Well I'll put it this way. They don't even do that.

Even if I assumed it was just a harem anime that was just about him getting a harem... I'd still be disappointed.

inteuniso

• Bay Watcher
  • Functionalized carbon is the source.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26338 on: February 14, 2016, 07:17:54 pm »

On the grimgar note, can the hunter seriously stop saying "na" after every. damn. phrase.
Lol scratch that I'm building a marijuana factory.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #26339 on: February 14, 2016, 07:20:42 pm »

Oh god, I haven't noticed that before, now I can't stop focusing on it every time she speaks, WHY DID YOU DO THAT?!?!
AS - IG
Pages: 1 ... 1754 1755 [1756] 1757 1758 ... 2193