Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1753 1754 [1755] 1756 1757 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3067443 times)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #26310 on: February 13, 2016, 01:25:52 pm »

So you can't handle the girth? ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26311 on: February 14, 2016, 05:23:42 am »

What is out and good right now?

Well, really the ones that we've already mentioned in the thread. The good ones as far as I'm concerned are:

Boku dake ga Inai Machi - murder mystery / supernatural / time travel series. Very consistent drama / suspense feeling. This is my pick of the season. I'd say it's the one thing every anime fan should be checking out this season.

Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu - historical drama anime (spans from the 1930's - 1960's) where you actually learn something about a traditional form of Japanese theater/comedy.

Dimension W - seinen action / sci-fi series, definitely more old-school feeling than most animes now.

Ajin - horror series, similar concept to Parasyte or Tokyo Ghoul. But it's darker and has less "anime" cliches than those ones.

konosuba - RPG world comedy that's pretty funny (but also pretty ecchi however).

Hai to Gensou no Grimgar - grimdark "we're all doomed" RPG world anime with great artwork.

Dagashi Kashi - character-driven slice of life comedy which I'd like to be able to recommend, however nothing ever happens (usually not a problem for slice of life), but only one of the characters is actually fun, and she can't carry the entire show by herself, though they try.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2016, 05:26:12 am by Reelya »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26312 on: February 14, 2016, 06:19:38 am »

After Dungeon (the disappointment anime) I am scared to see RPG world animes... since only Overlord did it particularly well.

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Types So Much As Punches The Keyboard
    • View Profile
« Reply #26313 on: February 14, 2016, 06:21:40 am »

*Looks up Ajin*
Oh, that one, yeah, I read a bunch of the manga a while ago, does it differ much from that?
He knows how to fix River's tiredness.
Alan help.
IronyOwl   But Kyuubey can more or less be summed up as "You didn't ask."
15:52   IronyOwl   Whereas Dungbeetle is closer to "Fuck you."

apiks

• Bay Watcher
  • Grandfather of Necrothreat
    • View Profile
« Reply #26314 on: February 14, 2016, 06:40:44 am »

After Dungeon (the disappointment anime) I am scared to see RPG world animes... since only Overlord did it particularly well.

I quite liked Log Horizon myself. Just enough interaction to root for the characters, a few cliches here and there and MMORPG elements galore. Grimgar's has a unique take on the MMORPG element things as none of the characters actually know how to do it properly.

Otherwise I second Boku dake ga Inai Machi (ERASED). It is the current anime of the season for a good many people, including me, and it'll require some pretty big fuckup for it to tank.

Never thought I'd live to see the day that I empathize with statues. Sekko Boys is too good of a 5 minute anime comedy to be skipped. Nobody would've expected such level of emotions from statues. Props to the voice actors.
Founding Father of Necrothreat I, Necrothreat II, Necrothreat III, Necrothreat IV and Necrothreat V
Founder of Teh LOLmod

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26315 on: February 14, 2016, 06:49:26 am »

Oh yeah how could I forget Sekkou Boys. True anime of the season, even if the animation looks a bit stiff.

I'm not sure why you were disappointed in Dungeon, Neonivek. I always thought it telegraphed what it was all about right from the start.  You have a mary-sue hero, surrounded by hot girls, who has to delve into a generic RPG dungeon and level up. There is literally no more story than that. There is literally no plausible story progression from that set-up other than raiding deeper into the dungeon, gaining levels and meeting more hot girls. Which is exactly what it delivered.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2016, 07:00:54 am by Reelya »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26316 on: February 14, 2016, 09:04:20 am »

Oh yeah how could I forget Sekkou Boys. True anime of the season, even if the animation looks a bit stiff.

I'm not sure why you were disappointed in Dungeon, Neonivek. I always thought it telegraphed what it was all about right from the start.  You have a mary-sue hero, surrounded by hot girls, who has to delve into a generic RPG dungeon and level up. There is literally no more story than that. There is literally no plausible story progression from that set-up other than raiding deeper into the dungeon, gaining levels and meeting more hot girls. Which is exactly what it delivered.

Make it almost a slice of life and "hero to be" about an unlikely character's slow progression to becoming the hero he always wanted to be, with his naivete and inexperience being the focus of his future virtues.

Instead of making it a harem x Mary Sue about some dumb hero who has super duper better then everyone else powers and how he gets into all the women's pants but doesn't want to be.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26317 on: February 14, 2016, 09:28:03 am »

Because Wakabayashi is adorable case closed.

I'm actually pretty enjoying Osomatsu-san, even though it's pretty crass.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Cheesecake

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26318 on: February 14, 2016, 09:35:47 am »

I started watching Log Horizon. I'm trying to find other sources for it though, as my current one is kind of shit and seems to lag a lot.
I'm not using Crunchyroll, subscriptions are ableghkavnbgh.

What about masterani.me ? I use it and its pretty cool.

Overlord was cool, the premise and the character designs, but it honestly felt like an author insert or something.
I wish I could unwatch a thread because every time I look at this I can feel myself dying faster
Dying of laughter?
Dying of pure unbridled hatred, actually.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #26319 on: February 14, 2016, 03:02:43 pm »

Yeah Neo, that seems more like you were expecting something the anime clearly had no ambition of being. Not sure how that is its fault really. In any case, I think you might like Grimgar mostly because it's pretty much a slice of life set in a fantasy world with certain RPG tropes but for the most part played completely straight and rather realistic.

In any case, latest episode was nice, the new chick seems to be a battle scarred hardass but it's mostly justified I guess. Sure it'd be nice if she warmed up to the party a bit (which is bound to happen), but I'd kinda like her to remain a bit cool and distanced, even just for variety in characters.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26320 on: February 14, 2016, 03:04:54 pm »

the anime clearly had no ambition

I think this edit is more accurate.

I expected something more from it, and it really didn't want to be anything but bottom barrel with an interesting set up it had no interest in exploring. Just another "interesting set up, lets ignore it" anime for the garbage bin.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #26321 on: February 14, 2016, 03:07:29 pm »

And again, that's mostly on you for expecting more than it apparently set out to do. Like, it's fine to expect a lot from anything, but if the intention of not going for more is clearly telegraphed, if you get dissappointed then it's on you for ignoring the signs. And again, that's one anime, which apparently means all animes of a similar setup are now not worth your time? That's a bit harsh to be honest.
AS - IG

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26322 on: February 14, 2016, 03:09:25 pm »

And again, that's mostly on you for expecting more than it apparently set out to do. Like, it's fine to expect a lot from anything, but if the intention of not going for more is clearly telegraphed, if you get dissappointed then it's on you for ignoring the signs. And again, that's one anime, which apparently means all animes of a similar setup are now not worth your time? That's a bit harsh to be honest.

It is like your defending trash for being trash :P

I mean shame on me for having expectations.

How far should I have been prepared for it to suck? It was good for the first few episodes.

By the by Tenchi Muyo says hi.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2016, 03:14:48 pm by Neonivek »

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #26323 on: February 14, 2016, 03:14:56 pm »

Well kinda. I mean, there's an audience for pretty much any kind of show. If the show was not meant for you because you expected a certain level of quality out of it, despite the show being clear about not really wanting to go that far as far as quality goes you can't really claim it as their fault.

To use a somewhat shitty metaphor. It's like running headfirst into a wall and then blaming the wall because you expected to go trough it, but instead only got a bump on your head. It's not the walls fault it's solid, it's your fault for expecting the wall to not be solid, despite evidence to the contrary :S
AS - IG

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26324 on: February 14, 2016, 03:16:31 pm »

You say that, but what were the signs? It didn't come off as trash unless I am a negative person who immediately assigns "bad" to animes and wait for them to impress me.

As I said Tenchi Muyo says hi. All the same "bad" signs as Dungeon... None of the actual bad.

All I wanted to see it do... was explore its own premise. It didn't show signs that it was going to completely abandon that until later.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2016, 03:18:12 pm by Neonivek »
Pages: 1 ... 1753 1754 [1755] 1756 1757 ... 2193