Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1711 1712 [1713] 1714 1715 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3059621 times)

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #25680 on: December 25, 2015, 10:32:04 am »

Whaling in Japan doesn't really have as much history as they like to tell you. There was a little before the 20th century, but it's not the sort of thing you can scale up to a mass-consumer market without really screwing things up. The main "tradition" of commercial whaling dates to 1905, when they captured Russia's eastern whaling fleet, and got a boost after WWII when cheap whale meat was used as a common source of protein for the first time in Japan's history, so whale as a popular food in Japan only has a history post-WWII.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2015, 10:57:48 am by Reelya »

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25681 on: December 25, 2015, 11:33:24 am »

GUNDAM THUNDERBOLT EPISODE 1 IS OUT FOR FREE UNTIL JANUARY 7TH.

That mook horror show scene was magnificent.

Yeah, full-caps is pretty much required here. That was pretty my reaction when I saw... everything. Zeon using amputees to fill out its depleted manpower. The new Gundamns. Jazz. I know what I'll be watching this holiday season. Probably ZZ Gundamn because I'm a cheap bastard.

AlleeCat

• Bay Watcher
  • Black, the beast, descends from shadows...
    • View Profile
« Reply #25682 on: December 25, 2015, 08:34:46 pm »

I never said KoS was influenced by AoT or copying it or anything. I said it was like AoT.

LotR might be like a game of D&D, that does not mean that LotR was influenced by D&D (In fact, most are aware it is quite the opposite.)

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25683 on: December 25, 2015, 09:03:25 pm »

Nah, I wasn't implying that you thought that, just clarifying things for people who are new to anime, since you often see noobs claiming that some more obscure show is ripping off a popular one when it's clearly not corroborated by the publication dates alone.

One example comes to mind was discussions on CrunchyRoll when Seitokai Yakuindomo started airing, claiming that it was a blatant rip off of Setokai no Ichizon which aired 6 months previously. While they do have a similar name and setting, Yakuindomo was actually published first, and the general consensus now is that Seitokai Yakuindomo is a much better series with very original type of humor compared to the standard ecchi/harem comedy of Setokai no Ichizon. So, yeah it's common to see people on anime forums making elementary errors like this because they didn't look at publication dates, or they're too lazy to check whether something is an anime original or is from some source material.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2015, 09:18:57 pm by Reelya »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25684 on: December 25, 2015, 09:05:35 pm »

Nah, I wasn't implying that you thought that, just clarifying things for people who are new to anime, since you often see noobs claiming that some more obscure show is ripping off a popular one when it's clearly not corroborated by the publication dates alone.

Or they are both copying an even older design, trope, or myth. :P

AlleeCat

• Bay Watcher
  • Black, the beast, descends from shadows...
    • View Profile
« Reply #25685 on: December 25, 2015, 10:51:21 pm »

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25686 on: December 25, 2015, 10:51:55 pm »

Goddamn Young Black Jack. One minute, the love interest is pointing out how Hazama is only a medical student, and later she's giving him shit about how he's not going to have a go trying to fix someone's incurable genetic disorder. Can't cut a break with the ladies, can he?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25687 on: December 25, 2015, 10:57:52 pm »

Goddamn Young Black Jack. One minute, the love interest is pointing out how Hazama is only a medical student, and later she's giving him shit about how he's not going to have a go trying to fix someone's incurable genetic disorder. Can't cut a break with the ladies, can he?

At LEAST he has it a lot better then he does as a freeken adult

What with his love interest in that being a fully grown adult with a disease that makes her appear as a child... And any other lover he has either becomes terminally ill, is underage, or dies.

Honestly if his loves tried to kill him too... He would basically have Wolverine's Love life.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25688 on: December 25, 2015, 11:20:54 pm »

What with his love interest in that being a fully grown adult with a disease that makes her appear as a child...

Did I miss something important about Black Jack? Because I honestly have no idea who you could possibly be referring to.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25689 on: December 25, 2015, 11:29:01 pm »

What with his love interest in that being a fully grown adult with a disease that makes her appear as a child...

Did I miss something important about Black Jack? Because I honestly have no idea who you could possibly be referring to.

I believe he's referring to Pinoko:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25690 on: December 25, 2015, 11:35:45 pm »

Sorry the Anime leaves out that... really insane information. Only that she is supposedly "Of age"

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25691 on: December 25, 2015, 11:43:50 pm »

That was my first thought too, but you've listed all of the reasons why I instantly dismissed it. Along with the whole 'being in kindergarden' and 'obvious comic relief' thing she has going. Admittedly she does have feelings for Black Jack, but the manga never treated them more seriously than a child's fantasies.

Sorry the Anime leaves out that... really insane information. Only that she is supposedly "Of age"

Well she is technically of age, but 18~ of those years were spent as a tumour in her twin sister. Being a bundle of organs does not a mature person make.

Basically Black Jack was originally invisioned as a medicial horror/paranormal manga, which is why the earliest stories involve him treating a computer facilty, dealing with hyper-intelligent, murderous deer and making Pinoko out of a tumour which defended itself with ESP. After that, it settled into a more realistic setting. With the occasional alien to treat, of course.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #25692 on: December 25, 2015, 11:54:04 pm »

I find it fascinating how some series evolve. A lot are more or less the same all the way through, but some really display being kind of an author's pet project or not really being sure what they're about for a while.

JoJo's is an obvious example, spending the first two parts being about kung fu vampires and then suddenly gaining iconic kung fu snowflake ghosts.

Yu Yu Hakusho is pretty insane for this, though. It starts out as some kid following ghosts around solving their problems for them, turns into a brutal martial arts thing, realizes it was being racist to demons and tries to make up for that, then tries to lay off the grimdeath edge with its demonic martial arts tournaments in hell. I have no idea where it goes after that, but it wouldn't surprise me if it involves the author going "Wait a minute..." and changing a bunch of stuff again.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25693 on: December 25, 2015, 11:58:20 pm »

I find it fascinating how some series evolve. A lot are more or less the same all the way through, but some really display being kind of an author's pet project or not really being sure what they're about for a while.

JoJo's is an obvious example, spending the first two parts being about kung fu vampires and then suddenly gaining iconic kung fu snowflake ghosts.

Yu Yu Hakusho is pretty insane for this, though. It starts out as some kid following ghosts around solving their problems for them, turns into a brutal martial arts thing, realizes it was being racist to demons and tries to make up for that, then tries to lay off the grimdeath edge with its demonic martial arts tournaments in hell. I have no idea where it goes after that, but it wouldn't surprise me if it involves the author going "Wait a minute..." and changing a bunch of stuff again.

Batman is a HUGE one. In many ways "Owlman" feels lot more true to the original Batman then the current one does.

Does he use guns? Check... Murders people in fascinating ways? Check...

But that isn't an anime/manga... hmmm

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #25694 on: December 26, 2015, 12:00:13 am »

That is both kawaii and metal at the same time
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.
Pages: 1 ... 1711 1712 [1713] 1714 1715 ... 2193