Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1712 1713 [1714] 1715 1716 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3059303 times)

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #25695 on: December 26, 2015, 12:17:50 am »

I find it fascinating how some series evolve. A lot are more or less the same all the way through, but some really display being kind of an author's pet project or not really being sure what they're about for a while.

JoJo's is an obvious example, spending the first two parts being about kung fu vampires and then suddenly gaining iconic kung fu snowflake ghosts.

Yu Yu Hakusho is pretty insane for this, though. It starts out as some kid following ghosts around solving their problems for them, turns into a brutal martial arts thing, realizes it was being racist to demons and tries to make up for that, then tries to lay off the grimdeath edge with its demonic martial arts tournaments in hell. I have no idea where it goes after that, but it wouldn't surprise me if it involves the author going "Wait a minute..." and changing a bunch of stuff again.

Batman is a HUGE one. In many ways "Owlman" feels lot more true to the original Batman then the current one does.

Does he use guns? Check... Murders people in fascinating ways? Check...

But that isn't an anime/manga... hmmm
Superhero comics are a little different (at least as a whole) because we're often talking about several different authors, series, overarching conditions, and so on over the course of several decades. It's still fascinating for a lot of the same reasons, but it was never as likely to be coherent as a single author on a single project.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25696 on: December 26, 2015, 11:23:50 am »

Hitman Reborn kind of turned into an entirely different, albeit still action oriented, anime.

Other then some REALLY BAD writing parts (Two power up arcs in a row... and Chrome which was resolved in the Manga later but not the anime) it wasn't so bad.

---

On the Fairytail side

Ohhh Freed I love you : 3
« Last Edit: December 26, 2015, 11:38:38 am by Neonivek »

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #25697 on: December 26, 2015, 06:21:05 pm »

JoJo's is an obvious example, spending the first two parts being about kung fu vampires and then suddenly gaining iconic kung fu snowflake ghosts.
Having read everything except Vento Aureo and JoJolion now I would agree for the most part.

Speaking of which, Steel Ball Run on its own evolves through the story. I think it's probably my favorite JoJo now. Because it ran for so long and it's when the manga switched to monthly, you get to see a notable increase in art quality around volume 3-4. Some people dislike Araki's new "glamour pose" art style that started developing around Stone Ocean or Vento Aureo possibly, but I think it's alright. Getting back on point, SBR's story feels a lot more dynamic throughout. It starts off very focused on the race, but after the monthly switch it becomes more about what each character is striving for in that race, and even though the main characters are Gyro and Johnny, you get to see a lot of cool interactions between other characters and even get their backstories too. It also probably has the best antagonist besides Kira in my opinion, and they go through a radical redesign in their appearance as the series progresses.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2015, 06:23:04 pm by ToonyMan »

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
It's FEF, not FEOF

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #25699 on: December 26, 2015, 11:44:35 pm »

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25700 on: December 27, 2015, 03:38:44 am »

Urge to kill Kawamori rising.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25701 on: December 27, 2015, 11:30:56 am »

Macross Delta is looking somewhere between Macross Frontier and Macross 7.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #25702 on: December 28, 2015, 08:51:16 pm »

It's FEF, not FEOF

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #25703 on: December 28, 2015, 09:05:32 pm »

Supposition: Your response is why what happened, happened. Sometimes a writer just wants to screw with the consumer :V
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25704 on: December 29, 2015, 04:42:36 am »

A while back I started watching To Love Ru because a lot of people were raving about how To Love Ru: Darkness (season 3) is supposed to be really good with a better story than the earlier stuff. But I don't like to skip stuff so I started at the start. I'm on season 2 "Motto To Love Ru" now, and it should basically be called Boobie to Love Boobs. "To Love Boobs" is probably the most informative nickname for the show as a whole. I gotta say season 2 has way less story (each episode is three mini-stories instead of one story) and much more of a boob fixation than season 1, however that is possible, for a show that's basically like a way more ecchi version of Tenchi Muyo, so this mythical season 3 (Darkness) has gotta be absolutely amazing to make up for the shitty no-story season 2. For all that, To Love Ru is definitely nowhere near the worst harem show out there. It's definitely in the upper-echelons of pure fanservice comedies. It escapes being down the bottom by making all the main characters pretty likable, and consistently knowing to stay in the "dumb fun" category. Just be prepared for buckets of fanservice.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2015, 04:59:08 am by Reelya »

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #25705 on: December 29, 2015, 04:55:00 am »

I tried to watch To Love Ru a while back. I remember only watching a couple of episodes, but they were terrible enough for me to drop it, which is at least a little bit impressive.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25706 on: December 29, 2015, 05:05:13 am »

To Love Ru Darkness is definitely way better than its source material, which doesn't really amount to much, to be honest.

I mean, its source material is a fanservice harem show. Then again, if you're looking for plot instead of plots, maybe TLR isn't your cup of tea. It is fanservice played straight.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #25707 on: December 29, 2015, 05:14:10 am »

... I mean it must have been crappy fanservice for me to drop it, though maybe I was just being unusually picky at the time.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25708 on: December 29, 2015, 05:49:25 am »

I think it ramps up as it goes, although it always had more nudity than shows such as Rosario to Vampire right from the start.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2015, 05:53:53 am by Reelya »

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #25709 on: December 29, 2015, 07:21:11 am »

At least Rosario + Vampire grew up later in the manga/in the second season of the anime. Still had the T&A, but the plot and fighting got more serious without being too silly.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable
Pages: 1 ... 1712 1713 [1714] 1715 1716 ... 2193