Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1602 1603 [1604] 1605 1606 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3058519 times)

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #24045 on: August 17, 2015, 04:38:38 am »

Quote from: Neon
Since well.. Action isn't very exciting in manga form (unless you like the cliff notes of battles) but can look awesome in Anime form.

I respectfully disagree. Fight scenes in manga tend to be better than those in anime for a fairly simple set of reasons.

1) The imagination is a powerful tool.
and
2) There aren't really all that many studios really good at animating fights, at least from what I've seen...
Ahhh~ She looked into your eyes,
And saw what laid beneath,
Don't try to save yourself,
The circle is complete.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24046 on: August 17, 2015, 04:40:32 am »

Well I've seen animes where they took Manga fights wholesale and didn't add or remove anything from them and they end up rather... stale, stiff, and jerky.

I'll just say that I'd probably NEVER buy a manga for its fight scenes, at least not the way they are drawn, but I definitely could watch a bad anime if the fights were good enough.

As for the second... You are right, but then again if we want to get into it, I am sure most manga aren't good at depicting nail biting action either.

Well at least for the action. I am sure a manga can have epic fight scenes, but it wouldn't be the action I'd be drawn into but the atmosphere, speech, and subtext.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2015, 04:43:26 am by Neonivek »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #24047 on: August 17, 2015, 04:47:15 am »

... plenty of manga is really good at depicting nail biting action, and fight scenes and whatnot are, in fact, one of the major reasons several genres of manga get any sales traction at all.

I mean... hell, this GoH thing has been basically nothing but fight scenes. The entire ruddy thing has been fight scenes occasionally interspersed with character interaction and flashbacks. It's literally "tournaments, the webtoon" so far. It does pretty well -- and as I've noted, it's relatively sub-par as manga-style stuff goes.

Your words make me wonder what action manga you've had the misfortune to encounter before reaching the point you were willing to generalize out to the entire medium, because your observation is incredibly counter to much of what I've seen, m'self.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #24048 on: August 17, 2015, 04:51:22 am »

Agreed, the fights are usually one of the worst parts of any given adaption. The only "bad" manga fights are when the mangaka overcrowds the panels with too much detail.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24049 on: August 17, 2015, 05:00:23 am »

I dunno for me it seems more like a limitation of the medium then a limitation of skill. In a similar way that certain aspects of novels do not translate to Television such as conversations in someone's head.

But I guess I'll have to see this exciting fights for myself.

I just cannot imagine what could possibly be there. Given that Manga can only be so long, and only have so many frames (unless it is a visual novel type format) and so action usually needs to be broken up to 'suggest' action rather then giving play by plays.

So if two characters are punching one another, they cannot show the full exchange of blows. They might just have it take place in a single punch, do a few highlights, or vaguely allude to a series of punches (usually with sound effects that say "Punching" like manga loves to do). There is only so far a manga can take the flow.

And yes, I am putting American Comic books under that same bus... I cannot imagine a comic book having fights so great that they make me want to read the comic for them.

My imagination only goes so far.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2015, 05:05:22 am by Neonivek »

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Types So Much As Punches The Keyboard
    • View Profile
« Reply #24050 on: August 17, 2015, 06:16:22 am »

You also have the trouble of low budgets with anime, it is a lot of people making those scenes.
I guess you can also compare something like the manga version of Hajime No Ippo to the anime version, we could reach a good conclusion from something that is mostly about fighting.
[Jokes]Also read One-Punch Man, your argument is invalid[/jokes]
He knows how to fix River's tiredness.
Alan help.
IronyOwl   But Kyuubey can more or less be summed up as "You didn't ask."
15:52   IronyOwl   Whereas Dungbeetle is closer to "Fuck you."

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #24051 on: August 17, 2015, 06:19:49 am »

Go take a look at some of the later fight scenes from The Breaker or Holy Land and tell me those aren't fast paced and intense.
The circle is complete.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24052 on: August 17, 2015, 06:31:11 am »

I was thinking about Sailormoon.

I think if I had to remake it and set it in a different country... I'd chose Paris France. It fits a little too well.

Go take a look at some of the later fight scenes from The Breaker or Holy Land and tell me those aren't fast paced and intense.

Ok, I need to see those first O_O

I'll put it in my to do list.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #24053 on: August 17, 2015, 06:39:06 am »

Breaker's a pretty decent lower-key punch magic series in general, even above and beyond the fighty bits. S'pretty darn alright, one of the better "martial arts" (scare quotes due to it involving, well, quite a bit of punch magic as things go on, instead of just the raw punch of a straight on martial arts work) manga thingies. Largely good art, regularly excellent fight scenes, non-negligible characterization and interaction... s'just fairly solid. Pretty sure it's been recommended a few times upthread a ways.

Don't think I've read through holy land yet. Might as well put it on the metaphorical list.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24054 on: August 17, 2015, 07:12:55 am »

HOLY DANG!!! An Albino in an anime who is actually an Albino!

What next? Someone with blue hair that actually has blue hair?

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #24055 on: August 17, 2015, 07:13:53 am »

Where'd that come from?
The circle is complete.

Rubidium

• Bay Watcher
  • Rubidium has RETURNED
    • View Profile
« Reply #24056 on: August 17, 2015, 07:14:08 am »

Which anime did that come from
Rubidium has RETURNED!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24057 on: August 17, 2015, 07:25:21 am »

Food Wars

The character actually mentioned that the character's skin and hair was as white as snow, and her eyes are actually pink.

Mind you I am sure she has a fictional Albinoism that lets her go outside in the sun... but either way.

Rubidium

• Bay Watcher
  • Rubidium has RETURNED
    • View Profile
« Reply #24058 on: August 17, 2015, 07:26:57 am »

Food Wars

The character actually mentioned that the character's skin and hair was as white as snow, and her eyes are actually pink.

Mind you I am sure she has a fictional Albinoism that lets her go outside in the sun... but either way.
Are you any other animes like this?
Rubidium has RETURNED!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24059 on: August 17, 2015, 07:30:59 am »

It is pretty rare that characters have the colors that their hair are (Blue for example usually means they have Black Hair) or where the fact that they are extremely pale is actually considered unusual.

The closest I can think of is Bleach and Fruit Basket where the character's tabby cat orange hair is actually that color. Mind you in both their cases they are supernatural beings... but still it is something.
Pages: 1 ... 1602 1603 [1604] 1605 1606 ... 2193