Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1587 1588 [1589] 1590 1591 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3060762 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #23820 on: August 07, 2015, 11:45:43 am »

You know... Dragon Ball Super keeps trying to hit home that the god of destruction Berus isn't good or evil and that he is absolutely necessary.

But they really haven't shown this yet.

I mean even Galactus has shown that, but with him he wasn't some vindictive bastard... He never devoured planets for any reason but he was hungry.

But to admit I know who the writer is... the fact that Berus is clearly an evil bastard but people keep saying he isn't, is probably part of the joke. The fact that the cosmic balance is kept by gods of creation who... don't really create... and gods of destruction who are just vicious bastards really fits with the dragon ball theme doesn't it?

In fact on a certain level that is hilarious.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2015, 11:50:11 am by Neonivek »

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #23821 on: August 07, 2015, 01:16:46 pm »

Hm, one thing I don't get about FMA is
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

That's easy to explain.

In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #23822 on: August 07, 2015, 03:07:48 pm »

As long as the fan service isn't absurd, ridiculous, and distracting by getting WAY focused on over the actual plot (like DxD) I don't really care too much. I've read Fate's visual novel so I'm not really interested in that anime, and I've also seen SaO, though not its newest season (which is supposedly not that good?)
The first arc was at least okay IMO, though different leading lady so opinions are mixed. The filler arc in the middle is, well a filler arc. But the last arc has Asuna as the main character, and it got me good. I literally spent most of the last episode bawling my eyes out because of the feels. :P
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23823 on: August 07, 2015, 09:57:57 pm »

Kill la Kill is essentially Gurren Lagann. The main difference is that the puberty metaphor is women's instead of men's.
How were either of them about puberty?
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #23824 on: August 07, 2015, 10:13:45 pm »

Kill la Kill is essentially Gurren Lagann. The main difference is that the puberty metaphor is women's instead of men's.
How were either of them about puberty?
Well, Simon has to learn to handle his drill and the life-generating power associated with it, and yet do so responsibly, while Ryuko has to become comfortable with her body in order to use a power that requires her to bleed. I mean, I wouldn't exactly say that's what they're about, but they're things that are there, if you like overthinking things as much as I do >__________>
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23825 on: August 08, 2015, 12:30:22 am »

Can stick figure animation be anime?
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #23826 on: August 08, 2015, 12:50:14 am »

Were they made in Japan?
It's FEF, not FEOF

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23827 on: August 08, 2015, 12:52:53 am »

Hypothetically yes.

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #23828 on: August 08, 2015, 02:10:33 am »

Then hypothetically they can be anime.
Ahhh~ She looked into your eyes,
And saw what laid beneath,
Don't try to save yourself,
The circle is complete.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23829 on: August 08, 2015, 02:25:52 am »

While I'd go as far as to say anything that is "like an anime" could be in here.

I know as soon as that would come into play that things like Avatar the last airbender, Teen Titans, and Totally Spies would get in here.

On a QUASI-related note... I did watch Kappa Mikey which for a show about an American in Japan... I sure wish it felt more Japan and was more of an exploration of the culture of Japan and an exploration of its Tropes. The only thing I got from the show is how Japanese recycling works and how Obaba-chan can be a term for endearment (I THINK!)

But that is why I have Excel Saga.

But boy do I wish I had a show other then Excel Saga...

Though it is really telling that I've learned more about America from excel saga then I learned about Japan from every episode of Kappa Mikey.

And that is AS CLOSE to Western animation as I am willing to get. (I'd have spoken about it there... but the complaints I have about the show can only be resolved and spoken about here. Unlike say Legend of Korra which is really just animation which frankly is more or less either borrowed or that we evolved and taken some of the more expressive elements)
« Last Edit: August 08, 2015, 02:27:28 am by Neonivek »

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23830 on: August 08, 2015, 02:29:16 am »

Anyone know of any new English-dubbed shonen I can watch?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23831 on: August 08, 2015, 02:32:12 am »

Anyone know of any new English-dubbed shonen I can watch?

Metric tons... but I guess it depends what your into.

Though to admit I can't think of any good one I watched lately.

How new we talking about?

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23832 on: August 08, 2015, 02:33:20 am »

I've said it before, but succintly, my argument why "anime" should stick to just the definition "Japanese-made cartoons". If we say it's a style instead, and western cartoons can be - or not be - anime, then it must be logically possible for some Japanese cartoons to not be anime as well. As soon as we start classifying Japanese shows into "anime vs cartoon" baskets, we'd have some validity that the term refers to objective genres.

Sure "Japanese-made cartoons" has a few edge cases such as joint-productions like Transformers that we can umm and ahh about, but they're trivially easy to decide compared to the issues in the alternate "anime is a specific style" argument.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2015, 02:37:07 am by Reelya »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23833 on: August 08, 2015, 02:36:48 am »

Goodness I can only think of one anime that ever outright borrowed American animation nearly wholesale and it was still uniquely Japanese. (Panting and Stocking)

And the only thing I want to remember in that show was how freakishly competent the police were in that show to the point where the ONLY reason they don't beat the villain of the week is because it is physically impossible for them to. (honestly I wish the police were more competent in TV shows... but they are only competent against our heroes)

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23834 on: August 08, 2015, 02:40:01 am »

Arguing about whether something is "uniquely Japanese" enough to qualify as anime "as a style, regardless of country of origin" is pretty convoluted stuff, and explains why I think it's not a good definition. If anime is just a style, then it shouldn't have to be "uniquely" tied to any specific culture.

Classic anime of the 1960's - 1970's often has a strong Disney feeling to it. If we go the "style" route then you have to say that most of "father of manga" Osamu Tesuka's, work isn't the real deal. Here are some typical anime from the late 60's and 1970's:
Spoiler: Pictures Only (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 08, 2015, 02:51:38 am by Reelya »
Pages: 1 ... 1587 1588 [1589] 1590 1591 ... 2193