Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1585 1586 [1587] 1588 1589 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3060268 times)

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #23790 on: August 05, 2015, 02:29:27 pm »

*Shrugs*
Those are very specific features, NQT. :v

Code Geass? I don't really feel like the characters are that multi-faceted though. Good anime, however. I haven't really seen that many, so...

@Radio:

I'll agree with that argument's sentiment, but we live in many-thousands-strong towns or reaching-to-the-millions cities. The incidence rate of siblings who are attracted to each other is quite low (or maybe it's actually higher, but highly unknown due to its ridiculous level of taboo?) It wouldn't have any noticeable effect on our society (well, mine at least.)
If you lived somewhere absurdly remote, or in a very closed-off place, I can understand that argument, to a certain degree. Still, that doesn't really apply to the vast majority of the world.
Ahhh~ She looked into your eyes,
And saw what laid beneath,
Don't try to save yourself,
The circle is complete.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #23791 on: August 05, 2015, 02:33:11 pm »

I'll agree with that argument, but we live in many-thousands-strong towns or reaching-to-the-millions cities.

We do now. You're not thinking on evolutionary timescales. The inbreeding taboo would far more likely originate from a much less globalised, less urbanised society where there's already a fair bit of genetic information being recycled in your area without you deciding to marry your sibling. Eventually, that taboo might disappear, given that what you say is pretty true. Equally, it might not, since there's no real selection pressure to reproduce with close relatives.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #23792 on: August 05, 2015, 03:53:05 pm »

JAM Project is doing the opening for One Punch Man yessssssssss
hell

yes

Surely there must be someone amongst you who is able to give a recommendation.

I just finished watch PSYCHO-PASS and I was very impressed.

Spoiler: Actual spoilers (click to show/hide)

Is the second season worth bothering with? I heard it was written by different people. Also, are there any other animes (or any other kind of show, really) that have the following features?

- Not too long
- An exploration of an intriguing idea or deep theme
- Multi-faceted characters that could be real human beings
- A series-arc where things tie together (i.e. strong structure, minimal filler)

I felt Death Note came close, but the bottom fell out of it half-way through. Baccanno! has completely ridiculous characters, but they're uniquely characterised and they have interesting motivations, and the mysteries of the setting carry it forward. I've been enjoying Mushishi, but in general I prefer something with a metaplot. I was liking the original Full Metal Alchemist, so I should probably return to that at some point.
I haven't watched the second season of P-P, because I heard it was bad, and it's a new staff and everything.

Nothing I can think of satisfies your condition of being not too long.

The best anime is Legend of the Galactic Heroes, however the main series is like 110 episodes. There's shorter stuff, like the new-ish Yamato remake, Space Battleship Yamato 2199, but it's not super in-depth.

You may like Ultimate Survivor Kaiji if you liked Death Note. In fact, I think Kaiji is Fukumoto's best work.

If you liked the original FMA, that probably means you like good battle shounens.

I would recommend FMA: Brotherhood, just because it's more FMA and also very good.

As for other more recent battle shounens, the obvious answers are Hunter X Hunter (2011) and JoJo's Bizarre Adventure.

I can almost guarantee that One Punch-Man will be very good, but it won't air until this Fall.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23793 on: August 05, 2015, 05:23:39 pm »

Maybe try the series Rainbow. I haven't had time to finish the whole thing (or any other older series) for a while, but it's pretty different and cool, and has an awesome OP. Checking the thread history I'm kind of surprised this series never gets mentioned.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2015, 05:44:58 pm by Reelya »

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #23794 on: August 06, 2015, 05:35:32 am »

Yes, there's the biological imperative for the person themselves to find their siblings not attractive, but we're talking about if they do/i]. Just because something is different, it doesn't mean it's wrong, and I've never actually seen an argument against sibling love that doesn't boil down to "Ewww, Gross!"

Inbreeding, a phenomenon with negative effects, is often used as a good argument, no?
As Reelya pointed out earlier, it's often used as a blown-out-of-proportion argument. I don't think I've ever seen somebody actually state "Yes, well, a jump from 2% to 4% birth defects is severe enough to pass legislation and/or moral judgements against this thing" or "The risk of somebody else suffering the fate of the Habsburgs is too great, we can't let anyone even start down that slippery slope!"

Also, are there any other animes (or any other kind of show, really) that have the following features?

- Not too long
- An exploration of an intriguing idea or deep theme
- Multi-faceted characters that could be real human beings
- A series-arc where things tie together (i.e. strong structure, minimal filler)

I felt Death Note came close, but the bottom fell out of it half-way through. Baccanno! has completely ridiculous characters, but they're uniquely characterised and they have interesting motivations, and the mysteries of the setting carry it forward. I've been enjoying Mushishi, but in general I prefer something with a metaplot. I was liking the original Full Metal Alchemist, so I should probably return to that at some point.
I got nothin', sorry. The "exploration of an intriguing idea or deep theme" sounds especially unlikely, unfortunately, given that I tend towards punchy stuff or spot-harvesting neat concepts.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #23795 on: August 06, 2015, 09:49:56 am »

Kino's Journey is more of a smooth series, very short but if you can get the movies that can expand more of the lore. But lack of fanservice, good shooty bits also a goddamn talking motorcycle. Setting is post-apocalyptic but its more on lack of people than destruction.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #23796 on: August 06, 2015, 11:25:18 am »

Yes, there's the biological imperative for the person themselves to find their siblings not attractive, but we're talking about if they do/i]. Just because something is different, it doesn't mean it's wrong, and I've never actually seen an argument against sibling love that doesn't boil down to "Ewww, Gross!"

Inbreeding, a phenomenon with negative effects, is often used as a good argument, no?
As Reelya pointed out earlier, it's often used as a blown-out-of-proportion argument. I don't think I've ever seen somebody actually state "Yes, well, a jump from 2% to 4% birth defects is severe enough to pass legislation and/or moral judgements against this thing" or "The risk of somebody else suffering the fate of the Habsburgs is too great, we can't let anyone even start down that slippery slope!"

This is pretty much bang-on. The cultural and moral opposition is a sign of society being successful in conditioning people against a harmful behavior (for once, and only with aid from innate biological mechanisms), it's just that in this case the behavior has to be repeated over many generations for the consequences to be noteworthy, and you only get that from intentional inbreeding (which is apparently okay as long as we're just doing it to our pets and food). Now that we actually understand what's going on, it's the sort of thing where we shouldn't be shaming people or whatever as long as they're not trying to perpetuate it.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #23797 on: August 06, 2015, 05:09:47 pm »

I wonder if incest will go the same route as homogay a few decades down the line.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #23798 on: August 06, 2015, 05:12:57 pm »

Well it will probably never get to far, simply due to the studied psychological effect where you aren't biologically attracted to those that are commonly present in your life while you are very young.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #23799 on: August 06, 2015, 05:18:55 pm »

Hm, one thing I don't get about FMA is
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #23800 on: August 06, 2015, 06:35:31 pm »

Well it will probably never get to far, simply due to the studied psychological effect where you aren't biologically attracted to those that are commonly present in your life while you are very young.
This, pretty much. The Westermarck effect takes care of most of this, so incestual attraction usually only shows up in fringe cases like distant cousins, siblings who were raised in separate households, step-siblings whose parents got together relatively late in their childhoods, &c. None of that accounts for a portion of the population significant enough to have any adverse effects, so who cares? You're only going to run into problems if you intentionally inbreed for generations; worldwide human population dipped as low as five figures at times IIRC, and that still wasn't a small enough gene pool to kill us off from genetic defects before mutations diversified things.

Doesn't mean there aren't a boatload of moral and ethical issues that tend to crop up around it, though, especially in the circles where it's a fetish.

3. Run Resize Enable

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #23801 on: August 06, 2015, 06:36:57 pm »

Probably, but when was the last time public opinion was swayed by science?
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #23802 on: August 06, 2015, 07:10:21 pm »

Probably, but when was the last time public opinion was swayed by science?
When people started buying a new iPhone every year?

Or, if you want to go farther back, Japan in August 1945.

3. Run Resize Enable

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #23803 on: August 06, 2015, 08:27:39 pm »

Quote from: FD
Doesn't mean there aren't a boatload of moral and ethical issues that tend to crop up around it, though, especially in the circles where it's a fetish.

Like? What issues?
Ahhh~ She looked into your eyes,
And saw what laid beneath,
Don't try to save yourself,
The circle is complete.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #23804 on: August 06, 2015, 08:37:07 pm »

People in families tend to have either power or influence or both over each other.

(no idea about the fetish thing, for once)
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule
Pages: 1 ... 1585 1586 [1587] 1588 1589 ... 2193