Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1404 1405 [1406] 1407 1408 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3066638 times)

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #21075 on: February 03, 2015, 02:34:57 am »

Speaking of light novels it felt very odd encountering actual ones irl for the first time and learning why they're called light.
It's FEF, not FEOF

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #21076 on: February 03, 2015, 02:38:20 am »

Is it because they're small?
Ahhh~ She looked into your eyes,
And saw what laid beneath,
Don't try to save yourself,
The circle is complete.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21077 on: February 03, 2015, 03:51:46 am »

I've read some criticism of light novels along the lines of "all light novels are repetetive junk, don't those damn Otaku ever get sick of reading the same stuff over and over". Which is missing the point of who LNs are marketed at. They're not aimed at older otaku, they're cheap books aimed at middle school and highschool kids. That's also the reason for the sexy girl coverart which adorns 90% of light novels: grabbing the eye of horny teenage boys. The target audience of horny 15 year old boys also explains the quality of the writing in most LNs. Sure, some older people read them too, but they're not the core audience, in Japan at least. Outside Japan, since you need to be kinda in the know to get the LN translations, then the average reader is quite a bit older than in Japan.

They can get away with plot repetition for the same reason kid's toys manufacturers can - you always have a fresh batch of victims in the target age-range. But they're at an age where they're obsessed with things that are new, so you can't sell them last years batch of light novels, you need to market them this years "new" batch even if they're the same basic story over and over.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2015, 03:58:09 am by Reelya »

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #21078 on: February 03, 2015, 04:22:09 am »

All the light novels I've had a look at seemed to be fairly unique with an interesting story line (though admittedly I haven't actually read them, just seen a summary or adaptions.)

Then again, I haven't looked at that many... The one closest to what you're describing that I can think of is Highschool DxD, but that has been going on for aaaages, so I'm not sure about the 'new' thing you're describing.
The circle is complete.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #21079 on: February 03, 2015, 04:28:10 am »

So, wait, Is This a Zombie is marketed to kids? But...magical girls with chainsaws. I'd totally read that.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21080 on: February 03, 2015, 04:39:17 am »

The more ecchi ones are probably aimed at 17-18 year olds. But by the time they get an anime adaptation the original fans are 20-21+ so they go all out with the fanservice. Explaining why those things are both childish as hell and uber smutty. The target audience kind of explains why they're almost always some bland highschool guy thrown into a random adventure featuring heaps of hot girls, you're meant to imagine you are him.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2015, 04:41:38 am by Reelya »

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #21081 on: February 03, 2015, 04:51:50 am »

That doesn't make them bad, though (subjectively they're bad to some people, to other, not.) Escapism isn't inherently terrible as long as it isn't dwelt upon to an unhealthy extent.
The circle is complete.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #21082 on: February 03, 2015, 05:07:10 am »

That doesn't make them bad, though (subjectively they're bad to some people, to other, not.) Escapism isn't inherently terrible as long as it isn't dwelt upon to an unhealthy extent.
No, but if your escapism consists of "Hey what if a bunch of hot ninja girls started hanging around you and you kept stumbling into their chests?" I'm inclined to suspect you could do better.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #21083 on: February 03, 2015, 05:14:26 am »

It's pretty fun to imagine, though. For me, personally, the escapism usually comes less from the 'stumbling into a lot of hot ninja girl's chests' and more from the 'living in a more interesting world' part.
The circle is complete.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21084 on: February 03, 2015, 07:12:53 am »

All the light novels I've had a look at seemed to be fairly unique with an interesting story line (though admittedly I haven't actually read them, just seen a summary or adaptions.)

Then again, I haven't looked at that many... The one closest to what you're describing that I can think of is Highschool DxD, but that has been going on for aaaages, so I'm not sure about the 'new' thing you're describing.

See below. And I'll keep it to just shows that have aired since October 2013. From the season charts, these are the notable highschool/harem/ecchi shows that were adapted from light novels (I've excluded the returning light novel/harem shows like SAO, Infinite Stratos, Date A Live though, and just counting brand new shows)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

So, i count 22 new ecchi/harem animes based on light novels over 6 seasons, we're looking at around 4 harem shows a season which are from light novels, which is the majority of the harem shows they make.

Read this amusing post about light novels:
https://jphinano.wordpress.com/2012/02/29/all-light-novels-are-the-same/

It's an outrage that no-one has adapted the light novel "Why my tsuntsun koakuma sister became dere before becoming my waifu" yet. I thought this couldn't possibly be the correct translation, so I found the novel on amazon.jp ... amazingly, this looks like an accurate translation of the title.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2015, 08:42:11 am by Reelya »

Kobold Troubadour

• Bay Watcher
  • [MUSICALITY: +-]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21085 on: February 03, 2015, 09:34:01 am »

Well, from the the top of my head, here's a list as a reminder of some Light Novels with interesting plots & had nice/awesome adaptations that isn't all about harems/moe stuff (and overused things most LNs tend to go).

Spice & Wolf, Kara no Kyoukai, Fate/Zero, Baccano!, Kino no Tabi, Durarara! & The Twelve Kingdoms.

Can be subjective or debatable on how "good" they are but I also liked Hyouka & Suzumiya Haruhi (Not really sure where to put series' like Monogatari & Shana, while ToAruIndex has a lot of harem antics)
« Last Edit: February 03, 2015, 09:36:55 am by Kobold Troubadour »
[UTTERANCES] kinda' makes it hard for people to understand kobold songs...

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21086 on: February 03, 2015, 10:04:36 am »

No, but if your escapism consists of "Hey what if a bunch of hot ninja girls started hanging around you and you kept stumbling into their chests?" I'm inclined to suspect you could do better.
Sure, there could be better... but does the demographic want better?

Its all a matter of preferences anyways.  I don't imagine myself as the protagonist of anime in most cases.  Rather, its the world around that is the captivating part.  Basically, "what sort of mook would I be in this world".  A big reason why I liked Naruto/Bleach.

In my opinion, most sorts of highschool guy surrounded by harem tends to have a lackluster world/setting, very easy to write off.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #21087 on: February 03, 2015, 10:30:36 am »

... actually, the annoying bit about them is a great deal of them actually have incredibly interesting settings -- or at least the strong potential for them -- that get shat upon, to various degrees, by the poorly handled harem plot. Sidelined, not investigated, chunks of it tossed out in favor of harem antic #Y, etc. It's occasionally frustrating.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21088 on: February 03, 2015, 11:01:57 am »

Generic harem antics seem better than the sisterfucking trend.  "Why my tsuntsun koakuma sister became dere before becoming my waifu" is an incredible title though.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21089 on: February 03, 2015, 11:26:35 am »

My greatest dream is to see Kokoro remade as a harem anime before I die.
Pages: 1 ... 1404 1405 [1406] 1407 1408 ... 2193