Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1403 1404 [1405] 1406 1407 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3066273 times)

Rez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #21060 on: February 02, 2015, 03:21:39 am »

I've always meant to and never have.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #21061 on: February 02, 2015, 04:09:26 am »

You need to reread them.  I'm sad that I'm not eloquent enough to truly express how ridiculous trying to paint Le Guin as a bigot is.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I suspect the main reason to avoid racial characteristics is laziness and defaulting to the generic anime character styles.
This strikes me as a little too enthusiastic to be trustworthy. Particularly the "inappropriate" part.

* GUNINANRUNIN slams the table.
And another thing! Everyone needs to watch Memories, the sci-fi anime triple-feature. It's brilliant.
Eh. They're artsy and all, but I think calling them "brilliant" is a bit of a stretch. I can't really think of who I'd recommend them to or why.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21062 on: February 02, 2015, 04:30:17 am »

Also I think the "painting person X as a bigot" thing isn't the point. A huge percentage of historic literature is problematic by modern standards, but this just wasn't perceived by the writers or audience as a problem. Many writers we'd call a "bigot" by modern standards were further to the progressive left of the spectrum than the general population of their day.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2015, 04:36:24 am by Reelya »

Rez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21063 on: February 02, 2015, 06:48:12 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

How does DRRR2 compare with the first one?

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21064 on: February 02, 2015, 06:59:00 am »

You're being a little argumentative here. I didn't refer to her specifically at any point, I just said - in general - depictions of race in older works tend to be problematic. This is actually by far the most common reason that they retcon out people's race in adaptations of older (usually pre 1970s) works.

As for giving benefit of the doubt, we have to basically or we'd be throwing out virtually all the world's classic literature, including Lord of the Rings. There's a point where you have to analyse texts in the context of when they were written, because without that there wouldn't be much "acceptable" literature at all.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2015, 07:18:50 am by Reelya »

Rez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21065 on: February 02, 2015, 07:35:01 am »

It just looked an awful lot like you were saying they ignored race, because Le Guin probably wrote something that was either downright awful or just subtly racist.

In any case, I don't think Japanese media really cares much about Western sensibilities regarding race and stereotyping.

ed: Though, if any studio did, it would be Ghibli.

ggamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Reach Heaven through Violence
    • View Profile
« Reply #21066 on: February 02, 2015, 08:49:30 am »

* GUNINANRUNIN slams the table.
And another thing! Everyone needs to watch Memories, the sci-fi anime triple-feature. It's brilliant.

Remind me, was one of those some sort of Love: Hate Story type movie with salvagers figuring out what happened to a spaceship? cos if so i've already seen it.

I'm finally watching Haruhi, like the anime slowpoke I am. After this i'm gonna find the Legend of World War Two Tanks In Fantasy Land and figure out it's actual name.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21067 on: February 02, 2015, 09:03:59 am »

In April there's a new Haruhi anime coming out, which is a spin-off from the movie (which should be watched after season 2). I recommend not reading anything about the new show since the details could spoil stuff from the movie, which was a pretty good movie so that would be a shame.

Season 2 contains a thing called Endless Eight though. A time loop, which is basically almost the same episode repeated 8 times with minor variations each time. I did sit through them all because I'm a completist, but I've seen it suggested that you can cut out the middle Endless Eight episodes and still get the idea from watching a few (make sure to watch the last of the 8 though, because it's different).

Also, my favorite Haruhi spin off is this:
http://myanimelist.net/anime/5957/Nyoro-n_Churuya-san
Which you can basically watch any time after getting to know the season 1 characters.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2015, 09:06:05 am by Reelya »

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21068 on: February 02, 2015, 09:38:02 am »

In Earthsea it's not like you just have a few black people acting stupid or something, it's just like most of the characters happen to be black.  It seems odd to scrub it out because I seem to remember it eventually becoming a plot point when a white character appears, but I'm not entirely sure.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21069 on: February 02, 2015, 09:49:49 am »

Also chances are if you're watching Haruhi, you're watching them either in chronological order (but out of airing order) or in airing order (but out of chronological order). So uh, just don't try to get confused.

Seconding Churuya, and recommending Haruhi-chan while I'm at it.

Ninething skipping most of Endless Eight. I personally recommend skipping the first four or five episodes though.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #21070 on: February 03, 2015, 02:07:18 am »

So watamote has a manga. No idea if this will be less cringe-worthy than the anime but should be worth a shot. Also think it would be more up to date with the light novels than the anime. The anime only covers some of the material from the light novels, right? Pretty sure.

Don't think there's any translations or anything for japanese light novels, is there?

inb4 I come back complaining about the sheer cringe of the watamote manga.

Sidenote, but wow Watamote's full title is a mouthful. The Japanese title is practically cthulhu-speak to me.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #21071 on: February 03, 2015, 02:15:54 am »

... watamote has LNs?
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #21072 on: February 03, 2015, 02:19:33 am »

As a matter of fact it does not. The manga is the original.  .
It's FEF, not FEOF

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #21073 on: February 03, 2015, 02:21:42 am »

I didn't think so...

... that said, the answer to your question of there being translations for the LNs is a fairly solid "No", space. Since the LNs themselves don't exist to begin with :P
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #21074 on: February 03, 2015, 02:27:08 am »

As a matter of fact it does not. The manga is the original.  .
I could've sworn I read it was a light novel series. My bad for not fact checking before I post then.

I didn't think so...

... that said, the answer to your question of there being translations for the LNs is a fairly solid "No", space. Since the LNs themselves don't exist to begin with :P
Soooo, what about LNs that do exist? Went and googled for myself, translating light novels seems to be a thing. Neat.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.
Pages: 1 ... 1403 1404 [1405] 1406 1407 ... 2193