Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1402 1403 [1404] 1405 1406 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3066089 times)

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #21045 on: January 31, 2015, 03:45:25 am »

Yeah, it really wasn't that bad, just a case of expectations higher than mount Fuji.

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21046 on: January 31, 2015, 07:46:43 am »

Spoiler: Oh look cameos (click to show/hide)

Someone's about to get murdered...

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21047 on: January 31, 2015, 08:20:51 am »

Spoiler: Oh look cameos (click to show/hide)

Someone's about to get murdered...
Funnily enough, nope. The closest thing was that guy getting his hand cut off with a hatchet an episode earlier. Yeah as if they would actually do that.

It's kind of sad when some kid, who isn't some kind of ace detective, figures out Kid's identity whereas law enforcement is still ineffectually in the dark.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2015, 08:50:23 am by Darvi »

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #21048 on: February 01, 2015, 04:51:54 pm »

GODDAMNIT INAHO YOU RUINED THE EPISODE. STOP BEING SO OP ITS NOT FUN ANYMORE. ALSO YOUR EYE IS RIDICULOUS
« Last Edit: February 01, 2015, 04:55:58 pm by Furtuka »
It's FEF, not FEOF

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21049 on: February 01, 2015, 05:17:51 pm »

Perfect... the perfect awful ending to the most botched, with so much potential to be good, season of all of Fairytale...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I am sorry everyone but... I used to love Fairytale, I really did. This just saddens me deeply. I am not used to having a good anime just sort of turn bad. Usually their plots kind of devolve or they become less interesting. But they don't transform from a good anime to a bad one.

I need to be alone... with a pillow  :'(
« Last Edit: February 01, 2015, 05:20:06 pm by Neonivek »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #21050 on: February 01, 2015, 05:43:24 pm »

... well, at least you're responding to it like a true blue stereotypical anime watcher. Have, uh. Have fun?
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

aenri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21051 on: February 01, 2015, 05:46:13 pm »

Neonivek? Having fun watching anime? When was the last time that happened?

never :P

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21052 on: February 01, 2015, 05:47:57 pm »

Hey! I liked the first few seasons.

Heck I am watching Future Card Buddy Fight right now and I am enjoying that (I don't recommend it mind you).

But goodness... that ending.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #21053 on: February 01, 2015, 05:51:34 pm »

Neonivek? Having fun watching anime? When was the last time that happened?

never :P
Wasn't talking about watching anime :P
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #21054 on: February 01, 2015, 07:29:19 pm »

Today's Yatterman was depressing :(
It's FEF, not FEOF

Rez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21055 on: February 02, 2015, 12:49:58 am »

snip

I'd never heard that there had been an Earthsea anime and looked it up.  Maybe I'm just a racist, but I can't help thinking when I look at screenshots: "Aren't Archipelagans supposed to be dark-skinned?" Considering it was explicit in the books, I don't think I'm racist or the only one who's thought that.  Le Guin has also said the story ended up a mess in the adaptation.  Couldn't leave great-enough alone, I suppose.

I like anime, do you like anime?
I try.  Most seasons, I end up not liking anime.

Does Inaho have autism or PTSD?  I dropped A-0 (like episode 4 or something) after it looked like MotW with gary stu solutions and
I feel like maybe A-0 would have been more tolerable if the MC had a presence on screen besides being the ex machina to stop that week's crazy Martian invader.  I had hoped for real robots, too, even just gundam-style 'real robots'.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21056 on: February 02, 2015, 01:13:12 am »

idk, I'd have to go back to the books, which I haven't read since I was a kid, so only have vague memories. Judging by what I know of other famous works of fantasy and sci fi from the last century, there might be very good reasons to downplay racial characteristics.

Remember that stuff that was seen as acceptable decades ago is seen as sickenly racist today. The Buck Rogers franchise is proof of that. The original setting of Buck Rogers has been completely retconned out, and for good reasons, it was about chinese (refered to as both "Mongols" and "Han" as well) taking over the world and destroying all the great cities, and forcing good honest Americans to live in the wilderness. So it was effectively a sci fi version of the Yellow Peril paranoia that was common a century ago, with the idea of the Horde of Others coming to destroy everything that makes civilization good.

With CS Lewis, the Narnia series is very racist, with Europeans being the good guys, and Middle Eastern types being the bad guys. It was mentioned in an article, that of the Arabic-influenced race they're literally all slobbering evil, except for one girl, but she renounces her homeland and professes a love of the European-based Narnia culture. So Arabs are only good when they reject their own race and heritage, otherwise their evils literally leaks out of every pore in their skin.

And Charlie and the Chocolate Factory originally didn't have Oompa Loompas, it had funny little african slave laborers. The book literally states that they're pygmies that Wonka rounded up on a trip to Africa and that he pays them in Cacao beans rather than money. This was later revised in reprints, but only after the first movie came out. The producers of the movie had rewritten the most offensive stuff, and Roald Dahl then faced strong criticism as the original racism began to get public attention. Dahl later stated he had no idea it would be perceived as racist when he wrote it, which shows how much things have changed.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2015, 01:49:12 am by Reelya »

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #21057 on: February 02, 2015, 01:44:11 am »

Yeah, it really wasn't that bad, just a case of expectations higher than mount Fuji.
This.

I love Miyazaki's Lupin III so much.

Rez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21058 on: February 02, 2015, 02:33:24 am »

You need to reread them.  I'm sad that I'm not eloquent enough to truly express how ridiculous trying to paint Le Guin as a bigot is.

I suspect the main reason to avoid racial characteristics is laziness and defaulting to the generic anime character styles.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #21059 on: February 02, 2015, 03:07:13 am »

* GUNINANRUNIN slams the table.
And another thing! Everyone needs to watch Memories, the sci-fi anime triple-feature. It's brilliant.
Pages: 1 ... 1402 1403 [1404] 1405 1406 ... 2193